Windows 10 update and Local Admin/windows account question?

Kimmaz

1. Can a local administrator account and a Microsoft account merge together and become one? So you can be local administrator and have access to windows app store and such things. Never used a windows account to login to windows before.

2. Are there any benefits when you log into the computer with a Microsoft account, compared to just using a local admin account on windows 10?

3. How does Microsoft App Store work? Do you guys use it to download programs instead of using chrome and downloading the the old way?

4. Will the computer update to windows 11 automatic and is this good for gaming? If its the case, are there any way to prevent it?

Hello. I just got a very unique update to my computer. I had to create a windows account and it asked me to buy office 365, Onedrive and advertised that I could use my android phone (call, text ect) via my computer. It had a whole "setup" like if I just installed windows for the first time. I was even sent a vertification 4 digit code to my email after I typed in my email and password for my new microsoft account.

I have had windows 10 since it became free to upgrade from windows 7 (around 2016?). I have never reinstalled it because I have lost my serial key and CD too. I have asked support and they said I had to install windows 7 and upgrade if I wanted to use the old serial key. The "windows About page" still says that I have windows 10 Pro.. Its not windows 11 yet.

YCZfzDT.png

I have never used my windows account to login to a computer before, I have always used local admin without a password on my pc. I have never used the "app store" in windows yet. After the update I still had my old programs and my old local admin, but there was listed a email linked to the local admin user. Why is the email listed on this screen? Do you have a email linked with your local admin account?

Thanks for any advice,

<-- Moved to Windows -->

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

3 minutes ago, Kimmaz said:

1. Can a local administrator account and a Microsoft account merge together and become one? So you can be local administrator and have access to windows app store and such things. Never used a windows account to login to windows before.

You can log into the microsoft store and other apps without using a microsoft account as the user account. I'm pretty sure you can't convert a local user to a microsoft account user(but I don't see a reason to switch).

4 minutes ago, Kimmaz said:

3. How does Microsoft App Store work? Do you guys use it to download programs instead of using chrome and downloading the the old way?

You can download and buy apps. But it not great, and most large apps aren't on it(steam, chrome, firefox, adobe suite, epic games, and more) so Id just download it from the website like normal.

5 minutes ago, Kimmaz said:

4. Will the computer update to windows 11 automatic and is this good for gaming? If its the case, are there any way to prevent it?

It should notify you can give you the option. Shouldn't really matter for gaming, and most of the major issues have been solved by now.

6 minutes ago, Kimmaz said:

I have had windows 10 since it became free to upgrade from windows 7 (around 2016?). I have never reinstalled it because I have lost my serial key and CD too. I have asked support and they said I had to install windows 7 and upgrade if I wanted to use the old serial key. The "windows About page" still says that I have windows 10 Pro.. Its not windows 11 yet.

The old key should still work in windows 10/11. Microsoft doens't really want you to use these old keys(and you may fail a audit) but it doesn't matter for home use and it checks the activation box.

8 minutes ago, Kimmaz said:

Do you have a email linked with your local admin account?

Yup you can link a email with a local account.

3 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

You can log into the microsoft store and other apps without using a microsoft account as the user account. I'm pretty sure you can't convert a local user to a microsoft account user(but I don't see a reason to switch).

Yes, you can convert an account back and forth to a Microsoft link one and local the one.

You are correct that you can sign in on the Store only. 

You can download and buy apps. But it not great, and most large apps aren't on it(steam, chrome, firefox, adobe suite, epic games, and more) so Id just download it from the website like normal.

Adobe, Epic games store, Firefox, Opera, Spotify, VLC, Gimp, Paint.net, iTunes, iCloud, Netflix, Disney+, Amazon Prime Video, WhatsApp, Discord, Zoom, OBS Studio, Blender, Cinebench, OpenOffice and more are all in the Store.

I use the Store when possible. Easier to get apps. Steam and Chrome will not come to the Store as both companies have a grudge on Microsoft.

sucks for Steam users, as for Chrome, what's the point? Edge web browser is Chrome (Chromium to be exact), plus Microsoft optimisations and more 

video codecs and DRM support allowing full feature Netflix and other platform (1080p and 4K support, as well as HDR). So it's actually better.

The old key should still work in windows 10/11. Microsoft doens't really want you to use these old keys(and you may fail a audit) but it doesn't matter for home use and it checks the activation box.

Nah, OP is fine. It follows Microsoft offers

blockquote widgetlockquote widget