New fans for Arctic Freezer 33

Kreubs

I've heard loads of great things about Arctic's BioniX P120 fans. I have a Freezer 33 Plus, and with a small undervolt, it keeps my 5800X3D tamed - low to mid 70's after a couple hours of gaming.

I feel may have overdone the undervolt a bit, some tasks seem to chug, so I've been looking into ways to improve cooling performance without changing the entire cooler outright.

The fans stock fans on the Freezer 33 are F12's, and the eSports 33 was BioniX F120... airflow fans?!
Arctic moved to using P-series on all lines of the Freezer 34. I am guessing they moved to pressure on the 34 because they added 5 fins and tightened the gaps.

I thought that pressure fans as a general rule were better when there is any obstruction?
Maybe it was just an odd design decision that got rectified with the 34, so I'm probably overthinking it, but I'm stuck between choosing BioniX F120's or P120's.

tl;dr
I'm looking to improve CPU cooling. My stock fans are airflow. Looking to switch to pressure. One Noctua where I live costs as much as 2 BioniX.

27 minutes ago, Kreubs said:

I've heard loads of great things about Arctic's BioniX P120 fans. I have a Freezer 33 Plus, and with a small undervolt, it keeps my 5800X3D tamed - low to mid 70's after a couple hours of gaming.

I feel may have overdone the undervolt a bit, some tasks seem to chug, so I've been looking into ways to improve cooling performance without changing the entire cooler outright.

The fans stock fans on the Freezer 33 are F12's, and the eSports 33 was BioniX F120... airflow fans?!
Arctic moved to using P-series on all lines of the Freezer 34. I am guessing they moved to pressure on the 34 because they added 5 fins and tightened the gaps.

I thought that pressure fans as a general rule were better when there is any obstruction?
Maybe it was just an odd design decision that got rectified with the 34, so I'm probably overthinking it, but I'm stuck between choosing BioniX F120's or P120's.

tl;dr
I'm looking to improve CPU cooling. My stock fans are airflow. Looking to switch to pressure. One Noctua where I live costs as much as 2 BioniX.

Yes, P12s are way better than F12s for rad/heatsink cooling

Bionix are all a bit worse, in the middle you can use P12 ARGB version which is rather cheap if you need RGB, else go P12 🙂 

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

Well the problem is arctic makes fans already that are both high quality and cheap.  The thing will take any 120mm pwm fan so there are a lot of options. I don’t think a fan switch will do as much as you need though. You probably need a cooler switch.  The 33 is a 4 pipe a lot like a bunch of other 4 pipe coolers.  Companies hem and haw about where they put the pipes and how their fans are constructed and whatever ripple technology they put on the leading edge of their fins, but it’s always seemed to be more about count and diameter with an eye to pipe construction.  The rest is a war of inches.  Something 5 pipe.  A gelid Sirirocco maybe? Seeing them for $38 macho direct, mugen max, true spirit 140, master air (and we’re getting into 6 pipe) all are under $50 though.  There’s also used stuff.  Has to fit your socket type and have 5 decent pipes or more.  Some stuff is looking really impressive on eBay.  The thing about used air coolers is the only thing that can wear out on them is the fans.  As long as the pipes aren’t punctured they’ll go till the copper wears away…in a few hundred years maybe.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

You shouldn't undervolt so far that performance is lost. Run a benchmark like Cinebench to make sure that scores aren't dropping when compared to stock. 

70c is excessively low. The 5800x3d is fine up to 90c. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

One option is to keep the cooler but go 38mm fan instead of 25mm. Thicker body more push. It’s not like the extra thickness matters in your situation.  Might not be enough.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

49 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

70c is excessively low. The 5800x3d is fine up to 90c. 

Well, in gaming. I'm using a -30 offset on all cores with PBO2 Tuner.
Stock had me throttling at 4.2GHz all cores at 90° in cb r23 with scores around 14400-14500. My best score after undervolting is 15101

I just ran a 10 minute r23 and it peaked at 80.3° with all cores running at 4.38GHz and a score of 14986.
The catch? all of my fans were at 100%

1 hour ago, PDifolco said:

Yes, P12s are way better than F12s for rad/heatsink cooling

Bionix are all a bit worse, in the middle you can use P12 ARGB version which is rather cheap if you need RGB, else go P12 🙂 

A bit worse than what exactly and in what what? I've heard in value, but I can get a P120 for just $2 more than a P12 right now with "black friday" sales going on where I live.

16 minutes ago, Kreubs said:

How's performance with fan speeds lowered? 

What tasks are running slow? Are they slower than when running at stock speeds?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

25 minutes ago, Kreubs said:

Well, in gaming. I'm using a -30 offset on all cores with PBO2 Tuner.
Stock had me throttling at 4.2GHz all cores at 90° in cb r23 with scores around 14400-14500. My best score after undervolting is 15101

I just ran a 10 minute r23 and it peaked at 80.3° with all cores running at 4.38GHz and a score of 14986.

A bit worse than what exactly and in what what? I've heard in value, but I can get a P120 for just $2 more than a P12 right now with "black friday" sales going on where I live.

Bionix are slower and move less air (smaller H2O pressure)

Here's a vid explaining the Arctic lineup and the best/worst  ones : 

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

3 hours ago, Kreubs said:

airflow fans?!

Yep.

3 hours ago, Kreubs said:

Yep.

1 hour ago, PDifolco said:

Here's a vid explaining the Arctic lineup and the best/worst  ones : 

Good channel. But they've mentioned on numerous videos that the Bionix P120 are better than the P12.

For eg...

https://youtu.be/3Gycqib_ltA

9 hours ago, Ralfi said:

Yep.

Yep.

Good channel. But they've mentioned on numerous videos that the Bionix P120 are better than the P12.

For eg...

https://youtu.be/3Gycqib_ltA

Oh ok, my bad, didn't realize there were non RGB version of the Bionix, that performed indeed better than P12s at a decent price, thanks !

RGB version is atad worse and rather pricey, get close to Noctuas (non RGB...)

12 minutes ago, PDifolco said:

Oh ok, my bad, didn't realize there were non RGB version of the Bionix, that performed indeed better than P12s at a decent price, thanks !

RGB version is atad worse and rather pricey, get close to Noctuas (non RGB...)

They also tested the Bionix P120 ARGB & thought they were better than the P12.

In subsequent videos, they compare them in a noise-temp table & the P12 don’t match them. The P12 ARGB are close though.

They do cost more more though, so price to performance may not be as good.