i5 13600KF Running temps

Shabaps

Hi all.

I recently pruchased a new i5 13600KF processor along with a Lian Li Galahad 360 AIO. Everything is running fine and no BSODs or anything, however I am concerned about my idle and load temps.

On Idle, my CPU is running 55-65 degress and under load around 80 degrees. Is this normal temps for the new 13th gen CPUs?

I ask this as I have seen idle temps as low as 30 degrees online so I am concerned my cooler is not mounted as it should be. 

NOTE: I do not have the socket 1700 adaptor to allow the CPU btter contact to the cooler. It's all still stock in regards to the socket.

Any advice or recommendations would be apprecaiated.

Idle temps don't really matter and depend heavily on ambient temps and case airflow. Your temps seem normal. 

Your cpu is probably boosting due to background processes instead of actually idling. 

Moved to Cooling. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

It's my opinion, but your idle temps seem a bit high, even for hot climate. There's a couple things I would change given my experience with Alder Lake.

1. Reseat the cooler with new and more thermal paste, don't just rely on the thin layer that was pre applied to your cooler.

2. Bend gate is a real problem and it does cause higher temperatures than necessary. Get yourself a bending correction frame. I bought the thermalright BCF and it dropped my idle temps by 5, and my temps during gaming do not spike as often or as high. I did extensive logging and the BCF provides a tangible difference. For under $20 it's a no brainer.

3. Make sure your AIO fans are pulling or pushing ambient air through the radiator. Generally front mounting is better for this. I have an NR200 so I side mount my radiator... I'm shocked this hasn't caught on with more cases. Then I have two top fans immediately venting out the hot air. If you top mount your AIO, expect higher temps because your GPU is pumping out a lot of heat that's being vented by your radiator.

4. If you have a strong bias toward positive pressure (more intake than exhaust fans), than expect higher temperatures as well.

5. You might just have a crummy cooler. I "upgraded" the AIO on my 5820k from an original Corsair something to a newer EVGA cooler. The fans are louder, lower quality, thinner radiator, weaker pump... it trashed my temps. My 5820k was running around 25C at idle with the 7 year old Corsair AIO. The temps are at 55C now with the EVGA cooler. That's what I get for saving a buck!

1 hour ago, Shabaps said:

On Idle, my CPU is running 55-65 degress

That's a little high. Coming from someone on a 13700K with a zip tie water block mount (the LGA 1700 hardware for my old EK Supremacy doesn't arrive till tomorrow) and a 360mm thick rad idles at 30C, with the occasional random spike when something like Chrome opens to 45-55C, then immediately drops back down to the low 30s. Yeah, the custom loop I'm on is a little better, but at the same time it's a slightly higher power CPU, and it's not like it's 20-30C better. That was both at stock settings and with the E cores disabled running a static 5.6GHz all core OC. Your load temp seems in line with where it should be (assuming load is something all core like Cinebench or Blender, not something like gaming), your idle is just very high for whatever reason. 

I would do a cooler remount and try to get the proper LGA 1700 mounting hardware, odds are that's a decent part of why your idle is so high. Either that or you've got a very dirty Windows install, so your CPU is never truly at idle.

26 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

Coming from someone on a 13700K with a zip tie water block mount (the LGA 1700 hardware for my old EK Supremacy doesn't arrive till tomorrow)

I see that you are a man of culture

1 hour ago, johnt said:

Reseat the cooler with new and more thermal paste, don't just rely on the thin layer that was pre applied to your cooler.

I suggest arctic mx4 or gelid gc extreme, gc extreme performs abit better but also abit more expensive since its one of the higher end thermal pastes. Dont buy arctic silver 5 that stuff is outdated trash beaten by mx4, good for its time like a decade ago but not today

1 hour ago, johnt said:

You might just have a crummy cooler. I "upgraded" the AIO on my 5820k from an original Corsair something to a newer EVGA cooler. The fans are louder, lower quality, thinner radiator, weaker pump... it trashed my temps. My 5820k was running around 25C at idle with the 7 year old Corsair AIO. The temps are at 55C now with the EVGA cooler. That's what I get for saving a buck!

Galahad is definitely not the best cooler (liquid freezer ii is best on the market) but i dont think its trash either, iirc it was nominated as best aio for something on an older gn video but i forgot what vid, some sort of list for best aios

1 minute ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Galahad is definitely not the best cooler (liquid freezer ii is best on the market) but i dont think its trash either, iirc it was nominated as best aio for something on an older gn video but i forgot what vid, some sort of list for best aios

galahad is pretty close to best, the arctic is better but not by a massive margin

8 hours ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

I suggest arctic mx4 or gelid gc extreme

I think they just released the MX6. Don't know much about it. I also recommend the paste from Noctua... similarly priced.

8 hours ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Galahad is definitely not the best cooler

8 hours ago, NF-A12x25 said:

galahad is pretty close to best

Oops... I meant more like there's a problem with his cooler, not so much that it's a bad product in general. In my case, it was a bad product.

Thanks for all the feedback. I did reseat the cooler as suggested and it has improved my temps pretty drastically. It's not where I would want it yet, but I think I will be getting the socket 1700 correction frame to see if that helps as well. Along with that I'll also look at some better thermal paste.