Someone Please visually ID this HP laptop? (broken screen, cant get info)

Go to solution Solved by Roswell,

It's printed on the bottom... Look above the big vent.

As you can see in one of the shots, broken screen. He said it fell off the bed. OK.

Replacing the screen.

Tried to simply plug in an hdmi and power it up to a working monitor, nothing.

No BIOS nothing showing. So I'm assuming the port needs to be enabled in the OS.

Which leads me to a laptop that has no markings as to what model it is. I've looked over every millimeter.

Only thing I know about its age is that it has HP OEM W10 on it from the factory.

Thank You a ton !

20221110_182925.jpg

20221110_182935.jpg

20221110_182952.jpg

20221110_183005.jpg

20221110_183026.jpg

20221110_183109.jpg

** Here on the West Coast USA **

8 minutes ago, Roswell said:

It's printed on the bottom... Look above the big vent.

😮 I saw the logos and thought the text was Gov regulation garbage. Apparently not!

Wow, there she is. Thank You so much Roswell!

Anyone have a good credible place to buy quality replacement screens?! Could search but theres probably a million lol.

20221110_192113.jpg

2 minutes ago, NF-A12x25 said:

and even if the name isn’t printed on the bottom literally just look up the model number lmao

I couldn't find either. I'd been more happy with the model number lol.

Thanks NF 🤏🏻

Can someone possibly give a credible place for replacement?

I see its a touch screen, $100 - $140 😠

Person says he doesn't care if it has touch, he doesn't use it.

Can one use a non-touch thats still compatible? 

1 minute ago, Bender Blues said:

I see its a touch screen, $100 - $140

$100 is pretty reasonable for a replacement screen. It's pretty old, I would just cut my losses and get a new laptop.

9 minutes ago, Coolmaster said:

$100 is pretty reasonable for a replacement screen. It's pretty old, I would just cut my losses and get a new laptop.

Roger that. Just noticed, the $100 is (-) shipping, thats $25.

So $125 - $140

Is there any possible way to enable the HDMI port without entering the OS? Every laptop I've worked on, once plugged in, it automatically switches to the other monitor.

Not this one.

15 hours ago, Coolmaster said:

I hate this line of thought. This laptop has an i3-8145U whose performance far exceeds the CPU in the laptop that I'm using to write this. It's still a very good laptop and worth to fix, especially considering that HP is very repair-friendly (laptop is easy to open, both SO-DIMM sticks are socketed and easily upgradable, M.2 SSD also upgradable)

OP, this is the maintenance and service guide for your specific laptop, straight from HP: http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c07888733.pdf.

I've replaced screens on laptops before and it's usually easy to DIY. Disconnect battery, remove screen bezel assembly, remove screws (or double-sided tape if so), lift the screen, carefully disconnect eDP cable, now re-do these steps backwards with the new screen. You can't just plug a non-touch screen into your laptop because the pinouts are different (you'd also have to replace the eDP cable).

I've seen some people recommend laptopscreen.com. https://www.laptopscreen.com/English/model/HP/14-DQ0011DX/

What makes this repair so expensive is the fact that your screen has to be touch (digitizer layer) AND the double sided tape makes it harder for the average Joe to DIY as well. "Standard" 14" non-touch HD screens are usually in the range of 40 - 50 USD.

On 11/11/2022 at 11:18 AM, unnerfed cthun said:

I hate this line of thought. This laptop has an i3-8145U whose performance far exceeds the CPU in the laptop that I'm using to write this. It's still a very good laptop and worth to fix, especially considering that HP is very repair-friendly (laptop is easy to open, both SO-DIMM sticks are socketed and easily upgradable, M.2 SSD also upgradable)

OP, this is the maintenance and service guide for your specific laptop, straight from HP: http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c07888733.pdf.

I've replaced screens on laptops before and it's usually easy to DIY. Disconnect battery, remove screen bezel assembly, remove screws (or double-sided tape if so), lift the screen, carefully disconnect eDP cable, now re-do these steps backwards with the new screen. You can't just plug a non-touch screen into your laptop because the pinouts are different (you'd also have to replace the eDP cable).

I've seen some people recommend laptopscreen.com. https://www.laptopscreen.com/English/model/HP/14-DQ0011DX/

What makes this repair so expensive is the fact that your screen has to be touch (digitizer layer) AND the double sided tape makes it harder for the average Joe to DIY as well. "Standard" 14" non-touch HD screens are usually in the range of 40 - 50 USD.

Wow, thank you a ton for getting back. I do agree on just ditching it, its a nice snappy laptop, I fixed the OS before the screen broke by the person.

Excellent ideas on the upgrades - I think, think he's just gonna say 'keep it'. He already has a beasty i9 lappy, he rarely used this one.

Sounds really great on laptopscreen.com ! 

Yeah the touch basically doubled the price for a non touch.

I've read that you cant just replace with a non-touch, and as you said.

What exactly needs to be done to get a non touch working? I think I even read something bout the OS not recognizing the screen or some such craziness.  

PS: When you can ever get the reach, dental floss works best working through double sided tape without pulling/twisting on things 😉

Thanks a bunch CTHUN!