Game’s and hardware(ssd and hdd)

G.Paws

I’m curious and baffled with my computer knowledge and being somewhat an advanced user, I still don’t get it

I’m doing a lot of research on whether to get a solid-state drive for my gaming laptop just for particular games but how does games work like I would think I know it gets loaded up to your ram and a hard drive disk makes it longer than a solid-state drive is my statement, correct?

and if so, why do I get a lot of people recommending gaming on the solid-state drive? And that little wait time is no baffle

I am modding my games a lot, so I think that is why even games like KSP and city skylines and the list goes on

but in ranges who did actually reduce latency of communication between my GPU,CPU and RAM that is why I made this post to just clear my baffled mind and getting some expert help before I make the decision or the call to get the NVME M.2 SSD. 1tb

my gaming, laptop

Msi pulse GL 66

You have games where disk speed is noticable, for example GTA 5.

Or story games, you can't fit the whole world in RAM, it's parted in sections,

so when you progress through game, you load the next section when you get to a "checkpoint".

But also depends on technology, because old HDDs are slower than new HDDs,

for example some Notebook HDDs are still some of them 5400 RPM, but desktop HDDs are 7200 RPM.

I have a HDD drive and lot of my games load up pretty fast, some games load slowly but that could be because of games, GTA 5 being the example.

Someone should correct me (@Pixelfie) if I'm wrong but varied disks is best, with small SSD for OS and few smaller games maybe, one or more HDD for other games and other stuff, and SSDs for the games that benefit from SSDs or games in general if you have strong budget.

To give you an idea: if you have everything on HDD, you're loading from game/loading game, game gets read on HDD, suddenly Windows starts downloading update on same HDD, Windows defender starts scanning something, some other system or service starts reading/writing something  on HDD.

That's what can make it feel slow, or actually slow it down.

Old HDDs would be worse, because new HDDs have improved technology or Cache or something that helps them do their job better.

Note: Users receive notifications after Mentions & Quotes. 

Feel free to ask any questions regarding my comments/build lists. I know a lot about PCs but not everything.

PC:

Ryzen 5 5600 |16GB DDR4 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1080 ti

PCs I used before:

Pentium G4500 | 4GB/8GB DDR4 2133Mhz | H110 | GTX 1050

Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz / OC:4Ghz | 8GB DDR4 2133Mhz / 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1050

Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz | 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1080 ti

SSDs have much better read speeds so seeking/loading of data during loading screens or during gameplay will be much faster and smoother. While you can tolerate games which load things into memory once for a longer time some games load data as you play so HDDs are prone to make such games stutter at times. GTA 5 is definitely a good example @podkallI remember playing it on an HDD before I had SSDs on my system, it was so annoying.

11 minutes ago, podkall said:

Someone should correct me (@Pixelfie) if I'm wrong but varied disks is best, with small SSD for OS and few smaller games maybe, one or more HDD for other games and other stuff, and SSDs for the games that benefit from SSDs or games in general if you have strong budget.

Imo having one SSD drive is the best option, unless you're upgrading your storage from a small SSD to a small SSD + a bigger one. The difference isn't noticeable and not worth the extra money. If you install a lot of games you don't play often and don't want to reinstall the games when you're actually playing them, that would be where a HDD would be worth it.

In my experience some modern games (released in the last 2 years or so) are just unplayable with an HDD because they're designed for SSD. Older games are usually fine, but there are some exceptions, such as GTA 5 like said by others which is just better on SSD. Especially if you're limited on RAM, because then it will start using the page file.

The recent COD titles would be unplayable for me with a HDD, every time you launch Warzone, inside waiting lobby it will lag forever till the map is loaded.

MSFS is another game I play that is horrible with HDDs.

I've got some of the fastest storage out there (couple Optanes and a Phison 4.0 176l), and I can ensure you, you never want storage to be your main bottleneck. Remember old days of HDDs? SSDs changed it.

The real question isn't if you should have an SSD vs HDD.  What you should be asking is if you need an SATA SSD or an NVMe SSD.

Thank you all for your help the thing is I’m not so bothered by loading speeds accept ksp loads up in 20-30min lol I’m a modder so getting it stable is a must but still I can be patient

in terms of fps boost would there be any? Or is that just that the engine of the game(program) is limited 

57 minutes ago, G.Paws said:

in terms of fps boost would there be any? Or is that just that the engine of the game(program) is limited

No there wouldn't be any. But as said earlier it can provide a smoother experience for games which load in things as you play. But generally FPS wont change.

6 hours ago, Murasaki said:

No there wouldn't be any. But as said earlier it can provide a smoother experience for games which load in things as you play. But generally FPS wont change.

Thanks I’ll give it a try to put a game on my m.2 nvme like scenario ksp heavely modded and I will share my stats on here note my windows is installed here to

Ok so I decided to get a ssd m.2 NVMe because of games like codwz 2.0 giving me bugs I believe it’s due to hdd usb external 

but now there is a problem how do I check my supposed version of my ssd ?