Wi-Fi Router Specifically for Bridging

Carl DaBeast

I've recently moved to a new apartment that has a really weird network setup. The network is shared throughout the building meaning the internet is wireless only.

This is fine for my computer that can connect wirelessly but I have an unraid server that needs to be connected via ethernet.

Would it be possible to buy a router, set it to bridging mode, and connect it to my server with an ethernet cable?

If so is there anything special I would want to look for?

For example would a router that supports Wi-Fi 6 be better if I want to transfer files to / from the NAS faster? 

Does the server have some spare pci-e slots or ethernet ports? If so, I would just say to get a wifi card and connect it that way. If you really want to go the otherway, look for something that supports open ddwrt, as that will be your best bet to get a bridging setup to work with consumer gear.

2 hours ago, king_thenorth said:

Does the server have some spare pci-e slots or ethernet ports? If so, I would just say to get a wifi card and connect it that way. If you really want to go the otherway, look for something that supports open ddwrt, as that will be your best bet to get a bridging setup to work with consumer gear.

As far as I could find unraid doesn't support ANY kind of Wi-Fi card.

I found an affordable TP-Link router that should support OpenWRT.

Hopefully it will work, thanks!