What do you guys think of rollerblading? (any rollerskaters here?)

Origami Cactus

I currently bike as a time killing / light exercise, but I have seen people rollerskating and it seems fun and a much more of an exercise. Also seems more fun than just running.

So is there anyone on this forum who does this? Any advice?

Should I pick it up as a hobby? I was never good at skating, but a few winters I could skate without aid and without falling over, so I am sure I could learn to do the same on asphalt as on ice.

I only see your reply if you @ me.

This reply/comment was generated by AI.

I think that it's impractical in my Canadian city, the roads are full of cracks and holes from the winter. Then they are filled with a bunch of rocks all spring and half of summer from the left over of deicing during winter as well...
For roller blading to make sense in my city, the wheels would need to be at least double their current diameter and have suspensions. At that point I may as well just get a bike or an electric scooter.

Rollerblading is not the same as ice-skating, it's two different beasts in the way you move and brake with them.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

1 minute ago, TetraSky said:

I think that it's impractical in my Canadian city, the roads are full of cracks and holes from the winter. Then they are filled with a bunch of rocks all spring and half of summer from the left over of deicing during winter as well...
For roller blading to make sense in my city, the wheels would need to be at least double their current diameter and have suspensions. At that point I may as well just get a bike or an electric scooter.

Rollerblading is not the same as ice-skating, it's two different beasts in the way you move and brake with them.

Yeah. I definitely wouldn't be able to use them as a everyday moving around tool, but there is a new like a 30km long completely smooth bike road that I could use, it would be more of an exercise, instead of moving around, as in the city I have the same problem, smooth bike roads are connected by basically gravel quality roads in some spots.

But why is it that different from ice skating? The basic movements at least look similar?

58 minutes ago, Origami Cactus said:

But why is it that different from ice skating? The basic movements at least look similar?

Basic movements are similar, yes. But stopping and turning are different. If you get a chance to try, you'll understand.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

I used to RB like crazy for excercise years ago. Its basically the same technique as ice skating. 

Biggest issue is finding smooth roads or walks. I got to the point I would skate in the street at night when there wasn't traffic. Worn asphalt is relatively smooth. Typically much smoother than sidewalks. 

I eventually got tired of replacing wheels. Road bike is better excercise, IMO. 

13 hours ago, wseaton said:

I used to RB like crazy for excercise years ago. Its basically the same technique as ice skating. 

Biggest issue is finding smooth roads or walks. I got to the point I would skate in the street at night when there wasn't traffic. Worn asphalt is relatively smooth. Typically much smoother than sidewalks. 

I eventually got tired of replacing wheels. Road bike is better excercise, IMO. 

Why do you feel that road bike is better exercise? I feel like I am just sitting on a chair and moving my legs, not doing much, and not really getting tired.

While rollerblading looks like a full body workout

Language/Material Warning

They're comedians shooting the shit with funny takes/jokes, but I know people can get offended pretty quick these days, so watch at your own risk (skipped to where he talks about rollerblading).

Parasoshill

adjective

• A person whose parasocial relationship with a social media influencer or content creator has driven them to promote or blindly defend them, acting as a shill for their benefit.

Rollerblading only works your outer quads. Some moderate upper body work and its good for your back because you are bent over. Ok cardio, but nothing like jogging.

A hard 10miles on my Cannondale and I can feel it. An hour on Rollerblades and I wonder if I got excercise. But....they are fun if you can find smooth pavement. 

Unfortunately, Landroller hasn't made blades for years.  IMHO, they were the best brand of all--and the larger wheels helped mitigate jarring effect of some surface imperfections.

I've debated getting quadrollers (not conventional skates, but ones with oversized wheels).  Mostly because I prefer a toe-brake vs a heel brake; I feel much more sure-footed with a toe-brake.  I would give my left nut to have a good toe-brake on my Landrollers.

2 minutes ago, IPD said:

Unfortunately, Landroller hasn't made blades for years.  IMHO, they were the best brand of all--and the larger wheels helped mitigate jarring effect of some surface imperfections.

I've debated getting quadrollers (not conventional skates, but ones with oversized wheels).  Mostly because I prefer a toe-brake vs a heel brake; I feel much more sure-footed with a toe-brake.  I would give my left nut to have a good toe-brake on my Landrollers.

Didn't know there was so much difference between all the different kinds of rollerskates, but makes sense.

But I made that thread on a really inopportune time, I didn't think that the winter was coming and everything would be full of snow, so the earliest I could skate would be in april-may, so quite a while away.

On 11/7/2022 at 9:57 AM, WildDagwood said:

Language/Material Warning

They're comedians shooting the shit with funny takes/jokes, but I know people can get offended pretty quick these days, so watch at your own risk (skipped to where he talks about rollerblading).

I came to post this. i am so glad someone else gets it. lol

AMD Ryzen 7 7700X- Asus ROG Strix X670E-A DDR5 5600 32GB CL32 -Asus Strix Nvidia RTX 4090 -Lian Li Lancool 3
4.5TB storage; 3xM.2 NVME, 1xHDD.
MSI A1000G -Acer CB282K- Corsair H150i, Corsair fan exh, x3 Lian Li intake fans, x3 Lian Li lower fans
Corsair K57- Redragon Vampire Elite
Lenovo AMD A6/R4 Laptop

XBOX Series X, PS5, Switch, Dreamcast

Fun cars - Evo X built cammed 6266, Mustang S550 NA Cammed Cobrajet