Slower speed connnected via ethernet compared to connected to wifi

Draxidroid

I have 1 gig speed through my ISP. When I connect via wifi I can get speeds around 800 MBPS but when I connect to my router via a CAT6 cable I only get 400 MBPS. Or when downloading games on Steam I get 80~100 MB/s download but a 25-30 MB/s when using ethernet.

I have a wifi 6 router, a wifi 6 PCI wireless adapter, a motherboard that supports 2.5 GBPS. I made sure I had all the drivers for my mobo and the BIOS is updated.

Motherboard: ASUS Prime Z490-A

Router: ASUS - RT-AX82U AX5400 Dual-Band WiFi 6

What can I do or what should I check to see why I get half the speed when using the ethernet cable?

TYIA

4 hours ago, Draxidroid said:

I have 1 gig speed through my ISP. When I connect via wifi I can get speeds around 800 MBPS but when I connect to my router via a CAT6 cable I only get 400 MBPS

I searched your model of router on the SNB forums and found this, so it appears to be a hardware limitation, and that it prioritizes wifi or lan due to most consumers habbits. I will just give this advice out, for 1 gig service, you will most of the time not be able to get close to the speeds you would expect with most consumer gear. I know that most people don't want to have to buy and configure opnsense or buy more expensive gear, but that is all I know on that. I would say, if you want the most out of your connection to change out your router if able, but I also don't know the rest of your setup: if you are having to do vlan tagging or anything on the router that will also reduce speed. That all saying, I don't know if there is a fix for it, as with most consumer gear, it is not built for gigabit connections. Which is really dumb, since that is like a $250 router.

On 11/6/2022 at 3:42 PM, king_thenorth said:

I searched your model of router on the SNB forums and found this, so it appears to be a hardware limitation, and that it prioritizes wifi or lan due to most consumers habbits. I will just give this advice out, for 1 gig service, you will most of the time not be able to get close to the speeds you would expect with most consumer gear. I know that most people don't want to have to buy and configure opnsense or buy more expensive gear, but that is all I know on that. I would say, if you want the most out of your connection to change out your router if able, but I also don't know the rest of your setup: if you are having to do vlan tagging or anything on the router that will also reduce speed. That all saying, I don't know if there is a fix for it, as with most consumer gear, it is not built for gigabit connections. Which is really dumb, since that is like a $250 router.

Thank you for the reply. I know I won't get the full 1 gig, but I am still able to get 800 MBPS over wifi and I'm fine with that speed, I just dont understand why I lose half the speed when I use an ethernet cable. I dont think I need a new router,. or I hope not, I just got it a few months ago

51 minutes ago, Draxidroid said:

Thank you for the reply. I know I won't get the full 1 gig, but I am still able to get 800 MBPS over wifi and I'm fine with that speed, I just dont understand why I lose half the speed when I use an ethernet cable. I dont think I need a new router,. or I hope not, I just got it a few months ago

If you would read through that post, you will find that it is a CPU limitation, so Ethernet speed is half of the wifi speed. So it is a hardware limitation that cannot be changed. If you are wired, you will have half the speed of the wifi connection.

23 hours ago, king_thenorth said:

If you would read through that post, you will find that it is a CPU limitation, so Ethernet speed is half of the wifi speed. So it is a hardware limitation that cannot be changed. If you are wired, you will have half the speed of the wifi connection.

That's my bad, I didn't notice there was a link. I'll read through it.