Data Science Build

Budget (including currency): 2500

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: computing large data sets through Alteryx

Other details https://newegg.io/d0af2fe

Current build is:

CPU:           I7 13700k

Mobo:         Gigabyte Z690I

Ram:          Corsair Vengeance 64GB kit at 5200

GPU:          MSI Ventus 3060 12GB   (Biggest question is on the GPU. I've read a few articles that say for data science the gpu's cudda cores aren't as important as the base clocks of the ram and cpu. Additionally from my research                 Alteryx doesn't support the use of a gpu to assist with calculating, so this would be for other programs that may allow it in the future.)

Case:         Fractal Design node 202

PSU:          Seasonic Focus SGX-650, 650w (this is based that the idea that I will probably remove/downgrade the GPU)

Storgae:    1x XPG SX6000 128 GB lite (Boot drive) and 1x Crucial P3 4TB (his data sets are regularly over 20 gigs. He currently has 15ish gigs terabytes  worth on external hard drives, so this would be for the more important sets so he can quickly       access them.)

CPU fan:    Noctua NH-L9i 17xx

My current concerns are the necessity of the GPU and if the 3060 is even worth it for a data machine like this, and additional cooling. I was reading some of the reviews for the case and they talked about cutting additional hole in the case which I'm perfectly comfortable doing.

Thank you for all the help!

- Collin

Have you considered buying a workstation from a manufacturer like Dell or HP?  It might end up being the better deal and would come with a warranty.

It's something I've considered, however I would prefer to build my own rather than look for a prebuilt machine. I would also assume most of those builds may lack in ability to be upgraded or may not be the intended size for the build.

"Alteryx doesn't support the use of a gpu to assist with calculating, so this would be for other programs that may allow it in the future."

Then don't buy a graphics card... yet. The 13700k has an integrated one, all you need is a motherboard with display output.

ಠ_ಠ

Part of why I included a gpu was because I knew he used other programs as well I just wasn't sure as to what. He did get back to me and included is tableu which from my minimal research can use the gpu. Thank you for the input!