Need a CPU recommendation

FAQCYA

Budget (including currency): $1

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Games, mainly open world single player games.

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

I'm in the process of building a new computer and would like a CPU recommendation. I have the following parts currently. PCIE Gen 4 KC3000 Kensington 2tb SSD. 3060ti, 1080p monitor 165hz G271C, 8 tb Seagate HDD, GIGABYTE X570S AORUS ELITE AX AMD X570 DDR4 Wi-Fi 6E Bluetooth PCIe 4.0 M.2 USB 3.2 ATX Motherboard, 32GB 3200 CL16 memory, DVD-RW. I have no intentions of changing anything in my system. I am happy gaming at 1080p. What I want is a computer that can still perform decently 7 years from now. I know in a few years I will need a GPU replacement to keep the system fresh. The games I play are things like Elden ring, Dragons Dogma, Dark Souls. I only play single player games. My options are 5800x, 5800x3d, 5900x.

Thanks for your time.

5800X for best bang for the buck IMO... I have a 5900X and it admittedly is overkill. However, food for thought, that might not always be so. The 3D might be nice to have in the future as more games begin to take advantage of it, though.

I don't badmouth others' input, I'd appreciate others not badmouthing mine. *** More below ***

MODERATE TO SEVERE AUTISTIC, COMPLICATED WITH COVID FOG

Due to the above, I've likely revised posts <30 min old, and do not think as you do.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

2 hours ago, An0maly_76 said:

5800X for best bang for the buck IMO... I have a 5900X and it admittedly is overkill. However, food for thought, that might not always be so. The 3D might be nice to have in the future as more games begin to take advantage of it, though.

Do you think the 5800x offers good longevity? Or will I be better off with one of the othe CPU's

I presume by longevity, you mean that you want to avoid any major upgrades or replacement for at least a few years, and yes, I think it would from that standpoint.  But be mindful that Ryzen and their supporting boards are fussy about RAM, so check the board manufacturer's QVL list for the specific RAM kits that have been tested and known to run stable on that particular board and processor combo. RAM instability is a thing with Ryzen, and it can drive you nuts if you pick the wrong kit.

I don't badmouth others' input, I'd appreciate others not badmouthing mine. *** More below ***

MODERATE TO SEVERE AUTISTIC, COMPLICATED WITH COVID FOG

Due to the above, I've likely revised posts <30 min old, and do not think as you do.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

7 hours ago, An0maly_76 said:

I presume by longevity, you mean that you want to avoid any major upgrades or replacement for at least a few years, and yes, I think it would from that standpoint.  But be mindful that Ryzen and their supporting boards are fussy about RAM, so check the board manufacturer's QVL list for the specific RAM kits that have been tested and known to run stable on that particular board and processor combo. RAM instability is a thing with Ryzen, and it can drive you nuts if you pick the wrong kit.

Yes my intentions are to keep this PC for as long as possible with the only change being a newer GPU in a few years. Thank you for your insight.

8 hours ago, FAQCYA said:

Do you think the 5800x offers good longevity? Or will I be better off with one of the othe CPU's

The 5700X not an option ? Seems to be about $30 cheaper than the 5800X.

11 hours ago, FAQCYA said:

Budget (including currency): $1

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Games, mainly open world single player games.

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

I'm in the process of building a new computer and would like a CPU recommendation. I have the following parts currently. PCIE Gen 4 KC3000 Kensington 2tb SSD. 3060ti, 1080p monitor 165hz G271C, 8 tb Seagate HDD, GIGABYTE X570S AORUS ELITE AX AMD X570 DDR4 Wi-Fi 6E Bluetooth PCIe 4.0 M.2 USB 3.2 ATX Motherboard, 32GB 3200 CL16 memory, DVD-RW. I have no intentions of changing anything in my system. I am happy gaming at 1080p. What I want is a computer that can still perform decently 7 years from now. I know in a few years I will need a GPU replacement to keep the system fresh. The games I play are things like Elden ring, Dragons Dogma, Dark Souls. I only play single player games. My options are 5800x, 5800x3d, 5900x.

Thanks for your time.

Nothing you can slot in an AM4 board is going to last 7 years. By then we will be on 24 core Ryzen 5's and Intel I5s that boost to 7+ ghz for $300-400. Have fun rocking your 5900x when that happens. We are in the golden age of cpu advancement with the competition from AMD and Intel. There is no such thing as future proofing currently. 

CPU-AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D GPU- RTX 4070 SUPER FE MOBO-ASUS ROG Strix B650E-E Gaming Wifi RAM-32gb G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo DDR5 6000cl30 STORAGE-2x1TB Seagate Firecuda 530 PCIE4 NVME PSU-Corsair RM1000x Shift COOLING-EK-AIO 360mm with 3x Lian Li P28 + 4 Lian Li TL120 (Intake) CASE-Phanteks NV5 MONITORS-ASUS ROG Strix XG27AQ 1440p 170hz+Gigabyte G24F 1080p 180hz PERIPHERALS-Lamzu Maya+ 4k Dongle+LGG Saturn Pro Mousepad+Nk65 Watermelon (Tangerine Switches)+Autonomous ErgoChair+ AUDIO-RODE NTH-100+Schiit Magni Heresy+Motu M2 Interface

8 hours ago, lee32uk said:

The 5700X not an option ? Seems to be about $30 cheaper than the 5800X.

With just a $30 difference I would rather get a 5800x it will have more usability in the future.

8 hours ago, ShawtyT30beTHICCC said:

Nothing you can slot in an AM4 board is going to last 7 years. By then we will be on 24 core Ryzen 5's and Intel I5s that boost to 7+ ghz for $300-400. Have fun rocking your 5900x when that happens. We are in the golden age of cpu advancement with the competition from AMD and Intel. There is no such thing as future proofing currently. 

Of course you won't be able to have the same experience that you do now but that doesn't mean that you can't have a decent experience in 7 years. My 7 year old laptop still offers a decent gaming experience.

24 minutes ago, FAQCYA said:

With just a $30 difference I would rather get a 5800x it will have more usability in the future.

How so ? It is basically the same cpu with just a slightly lower clock speed. There is only about a 1% - 2% max difference, so nothing that you are going to notice.

4 hours ago, lee32uk said:

How so ? It is basically the same cpu with just a slightly lower clock speed. There is only about a 1% - 2% max difference, so nothing that you are going to notice.

I thought there was a bigger difference then that. If the difference is that small then it wouldn't be worth the extra 10% cost.

On 11/1/2022 at 1:43 AM, FAQCYA said:

You will get the best longevity and performance out of the 5800x3D. It’s what I’d buy. The 5700x is also a very good choice for cheap, overclock it a tiny bit and it will beat the 5800x

For single player games you will want at least a decent-sized (27”-32”) 1440p monitor, btw, and you could even go 4K. 1080p is better in competitive shooters and stuff where every frame counts, although I still prefer 1440p large monitors (32”) in those.

8 hours ago, FAQCYA said:

I thought there was a bigger difference then that. If the difference is that small then it wouldn't be worth the extra 10% cost.

Yeah the difference isn't much at all.

The review below is with an RTX 3080. The 5800X and 5800X3D are also shown. With a 3060 ti the gap will be even less.

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/amd-ryzen-7-5700x/15.html

10 hours ago, FAQCYA said:

Your larger issue is that neither the 5700x or 5800s are going to have 7 years of longevity. For that long of longevity you really want Zen 4/AM5 and even that is a massive stretch

CPU-AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D GPU- RTX 4070 SUPER FE MOBO-ASUS ROG Strix B650E-E Gaming Wifi RAM-32gb G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo DDR5 6000cl30 STORAGE-2x1TB Seagate Firecuda 530 PCIE4 NVME PSU-Corsair RM1000x Shift COOLING-EK-AIO 360mm with 3x Lian Li P28 + 4 Lian Li TL120 (Intake) CASE-Phanteks NV5 MONITORS-ASUS ROG Strix XG27AQ 1440p 170hz+Gigabyte G24F 1080p 180hz PERIPHERALS-Lamzu Maya+ 4k Dongle+LGG Saturn Pro Mousepad+Nk65 Watermelon (Tangerine Switches)+Autonomous ErgoChair+ AUDIO-RODE NTH-100+Schiit Magni Heresy+Motu M2 Interface