if i purchase two packages of single 1x16 gb ram and put them in the same system will it work? if so will there be a performance decrease?

Go to solution Solved by WoodenMarker,

If the ram is the same model, it should work just fine.

By default, they should run at standard jedec speeds dictated by the motherboard. If one dimm is slower than the other, you can run the sticks at the slower speed of the two. 

By default, they should run at standard jedec speeds dictated by the motherboard. If one dimm is slower than the other, you can run the sticks at the slower speed of the two. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Just now, WoodenMarker said:

thanks! a while ago i bought a single stick of 16gb because it was cheaper and i didnt know it had worse performance

Make sure that they are indeed the same spec, model, and brand. There are cases where different RAM that didn't come together (not bundled like 2xRAM sticks) could cause system instability.

Sometimes even with the same model, spec, and brand, there could be component difference that causes instability, rare, but could happen.

Not an expert, just bored at work. Please quote me or mention me if you would like me to see your reply. **may edit my posts a few times after posting**

CPU: Intel i5-12400

GPU: Asus TUF RX 6800 XT OC

Mobo: Asus Prime B660M-A D4 WIFI MSI PRO B760M-A WIFI DDR4

RAM: Team Delta TUF Alliance 2x8GB DDR4 3200MHz CL16

SSD: Team MP33 1TB

PSU: MSI MPG A850GF

Case: Phanteks Eclipse P360A

Cooler: ID-Cooling SE-234 ARGB

Pcpartpicker: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/wnxDfv
Displays: Samsung Odyssey G5 S32AG50 32" 1440p 165hz | AOC 27G2E 27" 1080p 144hz

Laptop: ROG Strix Scar III G531GU Intel i5-9300H GTX 1660Ti Mobile| OS: Windows 10 Home

It kinda depends on the specific machine.  In theory what @WoodenMarker said and in practice that is true.  Unless it isn’t, which very occasionally happens.  Give it a 95%+ chance on intel desktop whitebox, but it can go down for laptops or OEM machines which includes laptops.  Find a forum specific to your model if you’ve got one of those.  Many times yes, but sometimes no.  The trick is what is actually under the heat spreader. Sometimes ram makers pull things.  Early ryzen, like ryzen1 or ryzen+ were sometimes quite picky about memory.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

9 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

It kinda depends on the specific machine.  In theory what @WoodenMarker said and in practice that is true.  Unless it isn’t, which very occasionally happens.  Give it a 95%+ chance on intel desktop whitebox, but it can go down for laptops or OEM machines which includes laptops.  Find a forum specific to your model if you’ve got one of those.  Many times yes, but sometimes no.  The trick is what is actually under the heat spreader. Sometimes ram makers pull things.  Early ryzen, like ryzen1 or ryzen+ were sometimes quite picky about memory.

I run a ryzen 3 3100 with a single stick of patriot viper steel ddr4 at 3200 mhz. Do you think it will work?

2 hours ago, SimplyAurallz said:

I run a ryzen 3 3100 with a single stick of patriot viper steel ddr4 at 3200 mhz. Do you think it will work?

Those are iirc zen2 cores which afaik is the ryzen type least affected by that problem.  Better than 50/50.  It all depends on what the actual chips are under the heat spreader.  If they’re the same then it will work, but the supply chain thing has done weird stuff to the memory manufacturers, and some times they will have sticks with the same markings with different chips in them, and sometimes this chips don’t play nice with each other.  If you buy both at the same time chances go up, but you’re not.  It’s worth trying for a cost savings perhaps but I would buy from a place with a return policy if it doesn’t.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.