Need ideas for new hobby / thing

deathrow

Hey, so I've somewhat accomplished the best setup I could ever want, my PC has a:

- 5900x w/ AIO

- 2x1TB ssd

- 200hz 21:9 ultrawide

- Razer keyboard & mouse

- Astro headset

I spent a while to get a good PC, and I feel accomplished.

I have a valve index and now a NAS with 5x 4TB drives which is my latest addition. Now I just feel bored so to speak. I feel like I've beaten the whole game and not sure what to do now. What should I do next? I thought of a steam deck or something similar... I feel like there's no real good reason for me to go next-gen.. I guess I'm just lost because I was always wanting the "next thing", but never what to do after it. Might want another hobby, but not too sure.

Try Linux? Buy a raspberry pi 4 and mess around, tons of projects are out there.

3 minutes ago, lopj245 said:

Try Linux? Buy a raspberry pi 4 and mess around, tons of projects are out there.

Ah! I actually daily drive Linux on my laptop

25 minutes ago, deathrow said:

Might want another hobby, but not too sure.

Get on your bicycle and ride, get fit and see places, not just round the corner, across the world. Learn a musical instrument, the computer can be handy to help there. Sea or lakes. take up kayaking, get some exercise.

Pick up 3-d modeling and use that fancy pc of yours to 3D print some stuff. Could also try making music or video editing, streaming, etc.

My PC Specs: (expand to view)

Main Gaming Machine

CPU: Intel Core i7-10700K - OC to 5 GHz All Cores
CPU Cooler: Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT (Front Mounted AIO)
Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING Z490-PLUS (WI-FI)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600

Storage: Intel 665p 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME SSD (x2)
Video Card: Zotac RTX 3070 8 GB GAMING Twin Edge OC

Power Supply: Corsair RM850 850W
Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow
Case Fan 120mm: Noctua F12 PWM 54.97 CFM 120 mm (x1)
Case Fan 140mm: Noctua A14 PWM 82.5 CFM 140 mm (x4)
Monitor Main: Asus VG278QR 27.0" 1920x1080 165 Hz
Monitor Vertical: Asus VA27EHE 27.0" 1920x1080 75 Hz

Do anything that at least gets you on your feet and away from the screen. You can start by walking around the block without your phone in your hand and without earbuds jammed in your ears so that you're  greet your neighbors with a smile and hello,

Then once you see whats outside of the house, you can take even longer walks or cycling even further.

Or, as stated above take up a hobby thus requiring you to obtain new skills.

Um musical instrument? If you want to keep spending money on tech maybe headphones or photography?

18 hours ago, lopj245 said:

Buy a raspberry pi 4

Do they still exist ? Not seen one in stock since 2020 😉

CPU: Ryzen 5900x | GPU: RTX 3090 FE | MB: MSI X470 Gaming Pro Carbon | RAM: 32gb Ballistix | PSU: Corsair RM750 | Cooler: Sythe Fuma 2 | Case: Phanteks P600s | Storage: 2TB WD Black SN 750 & 1TB Sabrent Rocket | OS: Windows 11 Pro & Linux Mint

I also built my dream PC and in order to use it more, but not spend all of my time gaming, I started a MS-DS. I don't know if learning to program or machine learning is something that entices you. Maybe music production?

On 10/30/2022 at 9:34 PM, RollyShed said:

Get on your bicycle and ride, get fit and see places, not just round the corner, across the world. Learn a musical instrument, the computer can be handy to help there. Sea or lakes. take up kayaking, get some exercise.

This is good.

Also, OP, you could pick an interesting IT cert and make it a goal. 

Music, sports, outdoor, literature.

Pretty much replaced gaming with piano, a. Football and going out with friends

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

Try some day trading on the stock market. Thousands of flashing numbers. It has geek written all over it. You learn a lot if you do it right as you research companies and balance sheets. I really like doing it. In a strange way it relaxes me 🙂

1 hour ago, Voytek85 said:

Try some day trading on the stock market. Thousands of flashing numbers. It has geek written all over it. You learn a lot if you do it right as you research companies and balance sheets. I really like doing it. In a strange way it relaxes me 🙂

DCA into S&P500. Money printing machine.

CPU: Ryzen 5900x | GPU: RTX 3090 FE | MB: MSI X470 Gaming Pro Carbon | RAM: 32gb Ballistix | PSU: Corsair RM750 | Cooler: Sythe Fuma 2 | Case: Phanteks P600s | Storage: 2TB WD Black SN 750 & 1TB Sabrent Rocket | OS: Windows 11 Pro & Linux Mint

On 11/2/2022 at 10:21 AM, suicidalfranco said:

Pretty much replaced gaming with piano

Degamer yourself and face to Yamaha Montage? 😄

Honestly though yeah, music is a good hobby. There are a whole lot of other hobbies I'd mention outside of my synthesizer hobby. Dancing, learning a new language, etc etc... just, don't go around wasting money on excessive PC toys if that's what you're trying to counter. Find yourself a new hobby.

You could pick up the bike, I don't know where you live however, winter is coming in closer. This means, the bike will need shelter and some suspensions like the Rockshox found on lots of MTBs actually require periodic maintenance. You have to take out the shocks and re-oil them and such even if the bike is sitting doing nothing. So if you're thinking about buying a bike that's even slightly complicated, do it during a season you'll ride it.

5 hours ago, Motifator said:

Degamer yourself and face to Yamaha Montage? 😄

Oh man

The amount of days I've spent trying to decide between a p45, Roland fp10 and Casio s100... I could write a 100 page essay on all of them.

In the end I picked the Roland. Still feel underwhelmed with the quality of sound, currently scouring the web for a used vertical piano

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

48 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

Oh man

The amount of days I've spent trying to decide between a p45, Roland fp10 and Casio s100... I could write a 100 page essay on all of them.

In the end I picked the Roland. Still feel underwhelmed with the quality of sound, currently scouring the web for a used vertical piano

I mean these companies like Yamaha, Roland etc... they're INFAMOUS for filling keyboards with antic technologies while reaming price to the moon.

The P45 is a good example of this. It uses the old AWM engine (not even AWM2), has 64 polyphony which could be limiting when layered / playing classical a lot of stuff, barely has any sounds on itself even though the engine it uses is full of them (5-10 sounds is nothing), volume fader and the buttons seem cheap, yet it costs $600. This is a rip off in any way you look at it. Ok well, maybe the keybed is fine...

The Roland seems to use their SuperNatural engine which can be decent, I'm not big on Casio even when their pianos have 3-stage hammer keys. If I was in your shoes, I'd be looking at something like the Numa Compact 2X. It's got several engines, including the Numa Organ engine. This is a great feature as the Numa Organ was co-developed with Joey Defrancesco and was one of the best organs to emulate the original Hammonds. It also has a Sledge engine with the sounds of their wavetable synth. You can make it work with batteries, so on. All in all, if you want an 88 key, this is one of the very best compact boards to get. Look at synths or if you have the budget, maybe even arrangers. I personally find digital piano-only boards awful, generally speaking. Sure, there are exceptions like Dexibell... but those are the exotics that cost a lot. You can get great piano sounds out of an arranger keyboard, while achieving a lot more than what a piano-only device ever could.

35 minutes ago, Motifator said:

I mean these companies like Yamaha, Roland etc... they're INFAMOUS for filling keyboards with antic technologies while reaming price to the moon.

The P45 is a good example of this. It uses the old AWM engine (not even AWM2), has 64 polyphony which could be limiting when layered / playing classical a lot of stuff, barely has any sounds on itself even though the engine it uses is full of them (5-10 sounds is nothing), volume fader and the buttons seem cheap, yet it costs $600. This is a rip off in any way you look at it. Ok well, maybe the keybed is fine...

The Roland seems to use their SuperNatural engine which can be decent, I'm not big on Casio even when their pianos have 3-stage hammer keys. If I was in your shoes, I'd be looking at something like the Numa Compact 2X. It's got several engines, including the Numa Organ engine. This is a great feature as the Numa Organ was co-developed with Joey Defrancesco and was one of the best organs to emulate the original Hammonds. It also has a Sledge engine with the sounds of their wavetable synth. You can make it work with batteries, so on. All in all, if you want an 88 key, this is one of the very best compact boards to get. Look at synths or if you have the budget, maybe even arrangers. I personally find digital piano-only boards awful, generally speaking. Sure, there are exceptions like Dexibell... but those are the exotics that cost a lot. You can get great piano sounds out of an arranger keyboard, while achieving a lot more than what a piano-only device ever could.

But the thing with arrangers, synths and everything in that category was that they were way over my budget.

In the end whilst also waiting, Amazon finally dropped an fp10 for 399, which meant same price as the p45, but smaller volume wise, and only 49 above the s100, so the perfect middle option.

Since I didn't have any reference on what awm was good or not and the technical details, I just went picking based on SoundCloud recordings of each keyboards.

At this point though, if I can snag a used upright piano for 200 and add in 50 or 70 to have it tuned... I'll be a happy neo-pianist

On 10/31/2022 at 2:42 PM, solado said:

Do they still exist ? Not seen one in stock since 2020 😉

I think they just released the limited edition Blue Raspberry Pi to celebrate its birthday.

5 minutes ago, Syze00 said:

I think they just released the limited edition Blue Raspberry Pi to celebrate its birthday.

This thread doesn't give me confidence on it tbh: https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/raspberry-pi4-problems.300557/

I was considering a fully fledged 8gb kit for a very short while, but glad I decided on a mini PC for some of my father's basic bits.

If you want something to build,  get one of those silly Billy Bass singing fish that move and flop around but install a Raspberry Pi Zero with wifi and get it to work with Google now or Alexa.