4K 60hz HDR with a GT 1030

abbiathesnake

Hey guys! I just got a Sony OLED Tv (XR-55A75K) and hooked it up to my htpc using a GT 1030 HDMI 2.0b port, Windows 11 22H2 and Nvidia latest driver at the time of writing (522.25). I am connected to one of the 2 HDMI 2.1 ports on the tv with a 3 meters HDMI 2.1 cable that I bought for future gpu upgrades (https://amzn.eu/d/2mGshH6).

4k 60 SDR is fine but according to Nvidia control panel only at YCbCr 4:2:0, 8 bpc and limited dynamic output. I can toggle on HDR on windows settings but in only works at 30hz (4:4:4, 8bpc), as soon as I switch back to 60hz via either windows settings or nvidia control panel it set itself back at HDR off, 4:2:0 8bpc. Is it a limitation on the GT 1030? HDR10 and Dolby vision work great on the tv apps such as prime video and bravia core. Thanks

hdr off.png

hdr on.png

Try a different cable, preferably shorter. Maybe the GT 1030 doesn't output a strong enough signal so it defaults to HDMI 1.4 spec. 

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

10 minutes ago, Glenwing said:

8 bit with dithering is an option, no? My laptop + LG CX can do that. 

image.thumb.png.8d77446718281ecc04682bc93b5a573c.png

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

Thanks for the reply! I just tried with a shorter cable (0,9 meters) but it does the same exact thing

8 bit with dithering is also an option for me at 30hz. I tried to switch at 50hz as the wikipedia table suggest but I get this (see attached image). I think it's just outputting at 1080p

hdr50.png

Edited by abbiathesnake
wrong image

I wouldn't spend more money on cables.  It's probably a limitation of the video card, as in the hdmi output is clocked at a lower frequency than the rest of the chip so it can only push so many bits per second to the output ... it can't do 60 fps while also maintaining full rgb / ycbcr and 10bit.

9 minutes ago, mariushm said:

I wouldn't spend more money on cables.  It's probably a limitation of the video card, as in the hdmi output is clocked at a lower frequency than the rest of the chip so it can only push so many bits per second to the output ... it can't do 60 fps while also maintaining full rgb / ycbcr and 10bit.

HDMI 2.0b on paper only?

Spoiler

That's what I suspect too... I will probably buy an HDMI 2.1 gpu in the near future, maybe an RDNA 2 or RDNA 3 card when they come out so that I can take advantage of the 120hz VRR capability of the tv too if I decide to play some games. Thanks y'all for the help!!

11 minutes ago, ZetZet said:

HDMI 2.0b on paper only?

More like HDMI 2.0b  because it exceeds the capabilities of HDMI 1.4  or that it meets the checkpoints to be called HDMI 2.0b but not with all "bells and whisles" enabled at the same time.

For information, I run my Oled at 4K 60Hz 444 SDR with my 1660Super.

Previously I did run it at 4K 30Hz 444 SDR with my Intel HD 630 igpu

It seems to me, GT 1030 should be able to run at 4K 60Hz 444 SDR. It says so in the specs.

I'm willing to swim against the current.