2020 Intel Mac no longer does clamshell

Was working fine before I went to the grocery store. Turned of my mouse, keyboard and tv went I headed out. Came back and turned it all on, the TV will display for 10 seconds or so and acts like the MacBook goes to sleep. The TV can detect when I unplug the HDMI as it shows a different message. Keys on the keyboard and clicks with the mouse wake the computer for 10 seconds. Computer works fine with screen when I open the lid. 

On the latest version of MacOS 12. Tried my cheap USBC dock as well as a type C to HDMI adapter. Keyboard connected via Bluetooth, mouse is a Logitech MC anywhere 3 using the USB receiver. I have restarted the computer. To be clear this setup has worked fine for months. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

*wants to do a black and white ‘50’s .gif of that new dance craze ‘ the clamshell’ but knows better*

My memory is they like to do sleep cycle stuff with magnets.  Maybe the permanent magnets were unmagnatized by something and the Mac is still throwing “I’m asleep” vibes?  Kinda wildly unlikely I suppose. I don’t know if the thing would have updated when you were away or not.  

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

13 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

*wants to do a black and white ‘50’s .gif of that new dance craze ‘ the clamshell’ but knows better*

My memory is they like to do sleep cycle stuff with magnets.  Maybe the permanent magnets were unmagnatized by something and the Mac is still throwing “I’m asleep” vibes?  Kinda wildly unlikely I suppose. I don’t know if the thing would have updated when you were away or not.  

Well it randomly decided to start working. Im not sure what the hell is going on. Sometimes Ive seen this thing do some weird shit. Hell I recall a few times I just didnt want to charge. I would have to reset the SMC and such. 

8 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Well it randomly decided to start working. Im not sure what the hell is going on. Sometimes Ive seen this thing do some weird shit. Hell I recall a few times I just didnt want to charge. I would have to reset the SMC and such. 

*hopes suddenly getting up and dancing qualifies as ‘weird shit’.  It is a laptop after all*

”analog” type problems bespeak soldering issues to me.   I used to have problems with apple laptops with the gigantic barrel power connector having problems with the female end getting literally ripped off the motherboard by a casual kick at the cord.   Had to solder that back down like 3 or 4 times.  Maybe an apple “genius” would have something to say.  They do see a lot of them every day.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

36 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

The magnets are a killer. On non Mac laptops too. Had a string where my fiancé’s laptop(non Mac) would randomly go into sleep mode. I was at work so couldn’t see what exactly was going on. 
turns out she found the exact spot to put her phone to put the laptop to sleep. Turns out it used a magnet to sense when it was closed. Apples mag safe is strong enough to trip that. 

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

1 minute ago, IkeaGnome said:

The magnets are a killer. On laptops too. Had a string where my fiancé’s laptop(non Mac) would randomly go into sleep mode. I was at work so couldn’t see what exactly was going on. 
turns out she found the exact spot to put her phone to put the laptop to sleep. Turns out it used a magnet to sense when it was closed. Apples mag safe is strong enough to trip that. 

So next time I should buy the Mac mini. Good to know. LOL. I mostly just use my MacBook in clamshell mode with my TV. So I guess when this computer dies Ill likely go to a Mac mini. 

If it’s a magnet came loose problem it will be glue not solder. I can see the thing having to come apart to fix it.  Huge PITA, but doable.  The things are usually in the hinge.

16 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

If it’s a magnet came loose problem it will be glue not solder. I can see the thing having to come apart to fix it.  Huge PITA, but doable.  The things are usually in the hinge.

I got Apple Care until May 2023. If its an issue Ill get it repaired. Right now It seems to be working. Also, I would the magnet come loose if the machine is not moved much and always in clamshell mode?