Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI) ATX AM4 Motherboard bios issue with AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 3.7 GHz 12-Core Processor and usb header support

Go to solution Solved by -rascal-,
3 minutes ago, LOKIxLegendx77 said:

i see, wll the information is greatly appreciated. this is to be my first build and pc. so to prevent this problem, the easiest solution is to swap my motherboard in choice, correct? im definitely going to need wifi built in because i can't do ether unfortunately. 

Is there a *MUST* requirement for a X570 motherboard, and it being an ASUS TUF board?

Even for a Ryzen 5900X, a B550 board will still be powerful enough to support it.

I can see why you are looking for those USB adapters, because you want to use the USB 3.0 and the USB Type-C ports.

The X570 TUF that you picked our earlier natively has the USB 3.2 Gen1 header, but not the USB 3.2 Gen2 (aka USB Type-C) header on it.

To meet your USB 3.2 header and WiFi requirements....

1) Get the -PRO instead of the -PLUS. Has all the USB 3.2 Gen1 and Gen2 connectors and WiFi. Also has the USB BIOS Flashback feature

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/b4jBD3/asus-tuf-gaming-x570-pro-wifi-ii-atx-am4-motherboard-tuf-gaming-x570-pro-wifi-ii

2) Gigabyte B550 Arous Elite AX V2.

B550 chipset based motherboard instead of X570. Again, all the requirements that you need, including the USB flash flashing. 

Actually less expensive.

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/Vb3mP6/gigabyte-b550-aorus-elite-ax-v2-atx-am4-motherboard-b550aorus-elite-axv2

3) Gigabyte X570S Aorus Elite AX.

Basically suggestion #2, but using the X570(S) chipset.

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/YdWzK8/gigabyte-x570s-aorus-elite-ax-atx-am4-motherboard-x570s-aorus-elite-ax

4) Two B550 MSi options also available.

MSi MPG B550 Gaming Edge WiFi, Msi MAG B550 Tomohawk Max WiFi.

Both have the features you are looking for (i.e. USB, WiFi) and USB BIOS flashing.

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/2f4BD3/msi-mpg-b550-gaming-edge-wifi-atx-am4-motherboard-mpg-b550-gaming-edge-wifi

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/MfZ9TW/msi-mag-b550-tomahawk-max-wifi-atx-am4-motherboard-mag-b550-tomahawk-max-wifi

I guess, just brand preference, if you have one, and the looks / aesthetics or the board, etc.

Personally, I prefer ASUS, but my last 2x boards have been Gigabyte, and happy with them for the most part.

Most recent board being a Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC -- since the case did not have USB Type-C (i.e. USB 3.2 Gen2) was not a requirement.

Budget (including currency): n/a

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: 

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

• A USB 2.0 to USB 3.2 Gen 1 header adapter is required.

•  A USB 3.2 Gen 1 to USB 3.2 Gen 2 header adapter is required.
  •  
  •  link to build below, additional viewing of opinions is welcome, looking for a decent memory card thats cheaper with cache memory 2 or 3 or 4 tbs

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/J4HGNc

6 minutes ago, LOKIxLegendx77 said:

looking for a decent memory card thats cheaper with cache memory 2 or 3 or 4 tbs

what memory card and what interface is it and whats it for

6 minutes ago, LOKIxLegendx77 said:

additional viewing of opinions is welcome

the board and cpu you picked aren't compatible unless you get lucky and the boards bios was updated at some point.

26 minutes ago, LOKIxLegendx77 said:

Budget (including currency): n/a

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: 

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

• A USB 2.0 to USB 3.2 Gen 1 header adapter is required.

•  A USB 3.2 Gen 1 to USB 3.2 Gen 2 header adapter is required.
  •  
  •  link to build below, additional viewing of opinions is welcome, looking for a decent memory card thats cheaper with cache memory 2 or 3 or 4 tbs

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/J4HGNc

The header adapters can be purchased from amazon to name one supplier.

But, unless this list is already owned it makes much more sense to get a motherboard with the appropriate headers.

How will the 2 - 4 TB drive be used?

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

25 minutes ago, emosun said:

what memory card and what interface is it and whats it for

the board and cpu you picked aren't compatible unless you get lucky and the boards bios was updated at some point.

im building a gaming and streaming computer with some potency for editing clips or montage, while the past week or 2 been learning from scratch about everything for my first pc and build

as for the bios update yes im aware, but thats the only thing not compatable, hardware aside verything fits, bios is the only software issue i have to worry about. im looking to buy this in new parts only

as for the usb headers, i do not know what im looking for exaclty, i have some idea but i am looking for an external source to help with showing what exactly i need

2 minutes ago, brob said:

The header adapters can be purchased from amazon to name one supplier.

But, unless this list is already owned it makes much more sense to get a motherboard with the appropriate headers.

How will the 2 - 4 TB drive be used?

storage between games and editing files for montage and clips. 

and the suplier isnt the issue for the headers i just am confused to which exact ones i need, searching results online left me confused and uncertain. i dont know physically what i need to grab

2 minutes ago, LOKIxLegendx77 said:

bios is the only software issue i have to worry about. im looking to buy this in new parts only

so do you have a spare cpu to do the bios update so that the cpu selected actually functions?

1 minute ago, emosun said:

so do you have a spare cpu to do the bios update so that the cpu selected actually functions?

i do not i have not puchased anything yet, waiting for black friday/cyber monday sales

should i need one, or can it be done on the cpu ive selected? 

4 minutes ago, LOKIxLegendx77 said:

i do not i have not puchased anything yet, waiting for black friday/cyber monday sales

should i need one, or can it be done on the cpu ive selected? 

no thats what the warning is for , the computer needs a compatible cpu to be able to do anything which includes updating the bios to support an unsupported cpu.

1 minute ago, emosun said:

no thats what the warning is for , the computer needs a compatible cpu to be able to do anything which includes updating the bios to support an unsupported cpu.

The Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI) ATX AM4 Motherboard supports the AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 3.7 GHz 12-Core Processor with BIOS version 2607. If the motherboard is using an older BIOS version, upgrading the BIOS will be necessary to support the CPU.

it says it does support but will require a bios update. so from what im understanding is i need another cpu with a bios update to help correct and apply the bios update? from what u have said?

9 minutes ago, LOKIxLegendx77 said:

it says it does support but will require a bios update. so from what im understanding is i need another cpu with a bios update to help correct and apply the bios update? from what u have said?

Yeah , if the board you get has an older bios installed then the unsupported cpu will not work in the board and you'll have to install an older cpu to update the bios.

15 minutes ago, LOKIxLegendx77 said:

storage between games and editing files for montage and clips. 

and the suplier isnt the issue for the headers i just am confused to which exact ones i need, searching results online left me confused and uncertain. i dont know physically what i need to grab

I misunderstood your header needs. There doesn't appear to be much consistency in naming the required adapters. The front panel USB-C port requires a USB Type-E Key-A motherboard header. So a motherboard USB 3 header to Type-E Key-A is needed.

image.png.e67ec53d2b1decd959c00e5b2806ea27.png

Since the only USB 3 motherboard header will be used to provide support for the front panel USB-C port, a motherboard USB 2 header will need to be used to provide USB 2.0 functionality on the front panel USB 3 port.

image.png.7b24c67ffa71e15e9e44507e3fc9ff7a.png

While these adapters are relatively inexpensive, if you add the cost to that of the motherboard contemplated, I think you will find a good B550 or X570 motherboard with the needed front panel support.

7 minutes ago, emosun said:

Yeah , if the board you get has an older bios installed then the unsupported cpu will not work in the board and you'll have to install an older cpu to update the bios.

so it can not be changed on the current selected cpu, no matter what?

11 minutes ago, brob said:

I misunderstood your header needs. There doesn't appear to be much consistency in naming the required adapters. The front panel USB-C port requires a USB Type-E Key-A motherboard header. So a motherboard USB 3 header to Type-E Key-A is needed.

image.png.e67ec53d2b1decd959c00e5b2806ea27.png

Since the only USB 3 motherboard header will be used to provide support for the front panel USB-C port, a motherboard USB 2 header will need to be used to provide USB 2.0 functionality on the front panel USB 3 port.

image.png.7b24c67ffa71e15e9e44507e3fc9ff7a.png

While these adapters are relatively inexpensive, if you add the cost to that of the motherboard contemplated, I think you will find a good B550 or X570 motherboard with the needed front panel support.

thank you very much for the information, so all i need is these 2 parts, i wont need any cording additionally? 

Just now, LOKIxLegendx77 said:

thank you very much for the information, so all i need is these 2 parts, i wont need any cording additionally? 

Correct. The second adapter, (USB 2 header to USB 3 header) is often available in a short cable form as well.

29 minutes ago, LOKIxLegendx77 said:

The Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI) ATX AM4 Motherboard supports the AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 3.7 GHz 12-Core Processor with BIOS version 2607. If the motherboard is using an older BIOS version, upgrading the BIOS will be necessary to support the CPU.

The TUF X570-Plus WiFi does not have the USB BIOS Flashback feature.

However, BIOS version 2607 is rather old.

Unless you got a motherboard that has been sitting deep in the warehouse since....2020, it will have a much newer BIOS flashed onto the board from the ASUS factory.

It may not be the *newest* BIOS available, but it wouldn't be more than 2 or 3 BIOS versions out-of-date.

So, most probably a BIOS from early 2022, so version 4005, 4022, etc.

image.png.b2b8fa164f96943f2ebbacb725e394a5.png

Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 6800 XT S.E + EKwb Quantum Vector Full Cover Waterblock
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 @ DDR-3400 custom CL15 timings
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO +  500GB Samsung 980 + 1TB WD SN750
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Lian-Li O11 Dynamic EVO XL
  • Ekwb Custom loop + 2x EKwb Quantum Surface P360M Radiators
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC
  • 32GB (16GB X 2) Crucial Ballistix RGB DDR4-3600
  • Gigabyte Vision RTX 3060 Ti OC
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO
  • Intel 660p NVMe 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB + WD Black 1TB HDD
  • EVGA P2 850W + White CableMod cables
  • Lian-Li LanCool II Mesh - White

Intel Z97 Rig (Decomissioned)

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

• FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>

1 minute ago, brob said:

Correct. The second adapter, (USB 2 header to USB 3 header) is often available in a short cable form as well.

thank you so much i greatly appreciate this. planning all this for black friday and cyber monday sales greatly helps

8 minutes ago, -rascal- said:

The TUF X570-Plus WiFi does not have the USB BIOS Flashback feature.

However, BIOS version 2607 is rather old.

Unless you got a motherboard that has been sitting deep in the warehouse since....2020, it will have a much newer BIOS flashed onto the board from the ASUS factory.

It may not be the *newest* BIOS available, but it wouldn't be more than 2 or 3 BIOS versions out-of-date.

So, most probably a BIOS from early 2022, so version 4005, 4022, etc.

image.png.b2b8fa164f96943f2ebbacb725e394a5.png

i see, wll the information is greatly appreciated. this is to be my first build and pc. so to prevent this problem, the easiest solution is to swap my motherboard in choice, correct? im definitely going to need wifi built in because i can't do ether unfortunately. 

3 minutes ago, LOKIxLegendx77 said:

Is there a *MUST* requirement for a X570 motherboard, and it being an ASUS TUF board?

Even for a Ryzen 5900X, a B550 board will still be powerful enough to support it.

I can see why you are looking for those USB adapters, because you want to use the USB 3.0 and the USB Type-C ports.

The X570 TUF that you picked our earlier natively has the USB 3.2 Gen1 header, but not the USB 3.2 Gen2 (aka USB Type-C) header on it.

1) Get the -PRO instead of the -PLUS. Has all the USB 3.2 Gen1 and Gen2 connectors and WiFi. Also has the USB BIOS Flashback feature

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/b4jBD3/asus-tuf-gaming-x570-pro-wifi-ii-atx-am4-motherboard-tuf-gaming-x570-pro-wifi-ii

B550 chipset based motherboard instead of X570. Again, all the requirements that you need, including the USB flash flashing. 

Actually less expensive.

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/Vb3mP6/gigabyte-b550-aorus-elite-ax-v2-atx-am4-motherboard-b550aorus-elite-axv2

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/YdWzK8/gigabyte-x570s-aorus-elite-ax-atx-am4-motherboard-x570s-aorus-elite-ax

Both have the features you are looking for (i.e. USB, WiFi) and USB BIOS flashing.

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/2f4BD3/msi-mpg-b550-gaming-edge-wifi-atx-am4-motherboard-mpg-b550-gaming-edge-wifi

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/MfZ9TW/msi-mag-b550-tomahawk-max-wifi-atx-am4-motherboard-mag-b550-tomahawk-max-wifi

I guess, just brand preference, if you have one, and the looks / aesthetics or the board, etc.

Personally, I prefer ASUS, but my last 2x boards have been Gigabyte, and happy with them for the most part.

Most recent board being a Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC -- since the case did not have USB Type-C (i.e. USB 3.2 Gen2) was not a requirement.

Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 6800 XT S.E + EKwb Quantum Vector Full Cover Waterblock
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 @ DDR-3400 custom CL15 timings
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO +  500GB Samsung 980 + 1TB WD SN750
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Lian-Li O11 Dynamic EVO XL
  • Ekwb Custom loop + 2x EKwb Quantum Surface P360M Radiators
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC
  • 32GB (16GB X 2) Crucial Ballistix RGB DDR4-3600
  • Gigabyte Vision RTX 3060 Ti OC
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO
  • Intel 660p NVMe 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB + WD Black 1TB HDD
  • EVGA P2 850W + White CableMod cables
  • Lian-Li LanCool II Mesh - White

Intel Z97 Rig (Decomissioned)

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

• FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>

6 minutes ago, -rascal- said:

Actually less expensive.

haha funny enough that your first choice recommendation was exactly what i went and changed it to, guess that means i am learning. thank you so much i greatly appreciate it you have been invaluable

1 hour ago, emosun said:

thank you for the help, im greatful !