are there still ipod classics around?

another_user

The last week I founed some used ipod classics on ebay which are in a still good condition but have been used a lot. So I was wondering: Is there still a chance to get a real new one of the original ipod classics of the later ones?

If you pay really really really good money you can get em from collectors but don't expect much. The hdds will have degraded and the battery too if it even works still.

Good thing about the used ones is you can use the money you save on getting a flashcard and battery upgrade as there is a huge community.

4 minutes ago, jaslion said:

If you pay really really really good money you can get em from collectors but don't expect much. The hdds will have degraded and the battery too if it even works still.

^^^ Seen some BNIBs for like... $400+ IIRC. I like the aesthetics of beat to shit ones so I'm lucky, mine have been $60 at most. 

I run Rockbox on mine also, would recommend it as I like being able to pick a darker theme (I run a terminal UI so just black screen with green or red text depending on which version I run). 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

thanks for the tips - i just checked ifixit and they still have all the spare parts availible 🙂
So guess I will go with a used one and try to upgrade it. Didn't know these are still around and used that much since most people are using their iphones

• 3 weeks later...

after I double checked, it seems not as easy as i thought. Does anyone know a trusted source for ipod spare parts?
I found some forums, but they are more or less inactive..

9 hours ago, another_user said:

after I double checked, it seems not as easy as i thought. Does anyone know a trusted source for ipod spare parts?
I found some forums, but they are more or less inactive..

https://www.ifixit.com/Parts/iPod

LTT's Resident Porsche fanboy and nutjob Audiophile.

Main speaker setup is now;

Mini DSP SHD Studio -> 2x Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC's (fed by AES/EBU, one feeds the left sub and main, the other feeds the right side) -> 2x Neumann KH420 + 2x Neumann KH870

(Having a totally seperate DAC for each channel is game changing for sound quality)

• 5 months later...

Most of the parts at ifixid are out of stock: are there any other good suppliers for ipod parts?

On 10/26/2022 at 3:53 PM, another_user said:

The last week I founed some used ipod classics on ebay which are in a still good condition but have been used a lot. So I was wondering: Is there still a chance to get a real new one of the original ipod classics of the later ones?

The ipod community is really into modding them if you want you can probably buy that and buy components to upgrade it better than new.