Bios fan error when working help

DisplayPort for life

Some fans have three wires, others have four. Three-wire are non-PWM, Four-wire are PWM. Both have a sensor wire that reports RPM to the board. If this wire is damaged or otherwise has a bad connection, it could cause this. Unfortunately, unless you're really handy with soldering, it's probably best to replace the fan rather than try to fix it.

I don't badmouth others' input, I'd appreciate others not badmouthing mine. *** More below ***

MODERATE TO SEVERE AUTISTIC, COMPLICATED WITH COVID FOG

Due to the above, I've likely revised posts <30 min old, and do not think as you do.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

ah

52 minutes ago, An0maly_76 said:

Some fans have three wires, others have four. Three-wire are non-PWM, Four-wire are PWM. Both have a sensor wire that reports RPM to the board. If this wire is damaged or otherwise has a bad connection, it could cause this. Unfortunately, unless you're really handy with soldering, it's probably best to replace the fan rather than try to fix it.

but i have checked hwinfo and fans are spinning correctly?
so it may jsut be dodgy wire. I have seen that some people have a bios option to stop these dialogues but mine doesnt. what can i do?

If i were to replace the fan could i replace all of the pc fans with noctua fans to make them quiet?

mobo looks like this https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/384535391844?var=0&mkevt=1&mkcid=1&mkrid=710-53481-19255-0&campid=5338268676&toolid=10044&customid=Cj0KCQjwkt6aBhDKARIsAAyeLJ3_CHq7CHlnCTHjZ9Uype3D6fj9Iuu6B11r5dx35CUT9K3JH4e0-eMaAkASEALw_wcB the fan header is the once next to sata

Your board is a Lenovo? That's probably partially, if not entirely your issue. Lenovo sets their machines up to be fussy about non-Lenovo replacement components, and they can be a pain even with their stock components. There are two fan headers, and if it doesn't see what it's looking for on both, it will report an error and may shut down.

It happens I've been repurposing a ThinkCentre M71e SFF. So I've seen this aux fan error before, yours is likely because the aux fan header has nothing connected or is not a Lenovo-approved fan. I had a complete machine, I just forgot to reconnect the front intake fan. Easy fix, but not so much with yours unless you connect a Lenovo-approved fan. If it's like the board I have, your aux fan header is here, beside the PCIex16... (more below)

image.png.c250fd8730e0dc0422cb409ee9e36897.png

Also be aware that slot is likely not PCIe4.0, or if the board is older, 3.0 or even 2.0 in some cases. I also found out the hard way that not only do vintage Lenovos only support certain graphics cards, what they support varies from model to model as well.

Planning a media NAS, I upgraded this one with an i7-2600 and SSD. Woke it up but it still couldn’t handle ripping DVDs. I already have a 5900X / RTX3060ti setup, so I figured if a GPU was needed, I might as well flip it for a budget gaming build. Lots of people can’t afford new retail these days, so I figure I can help someone out with stuff I don't really need anyway.

Then there’s little orphan Annie – a perfectly good i3-2100 evicted in the upgrade. I hate to toss perfectly good stuff if someone could use it. It can actually still run older games with GTX6xx / 7xx / 16xx cards, even some newer ones on low settings. Some people, especially some kids, would be thrilled with even that.

Scored a 1050 and have a 750ti on the way. 1050 works great, but needs a bigger case. M71e chassis was warped when I got it anyway. No biggie. Unfortunately, I figured out last night that $30 in adapters are needed for proprietary USB / audio / front panel headers. PER BOARD. I need a second board anyway, and $20-$30 + $60 in adapters = $80-$90. Even parts machines were $20-$30 plus shipping, so I realized my best bet was to just start fresh with the processors, memory, and two non-Lenovo boards.

Scored two Intel DH77EB boards for $82. Now looking for suitable coolers, since I foresee issues with using the Lenovo coolers. Sure, the coolers drive up the final cost, but it's a lot less BS in the long run, as I plan to flip these builds. I'll never touch another Lenovo again except to strip it for the CPU, memory and storage. To be truthful, some tried to warn me about this, but I figured if swapped everything it would be fine.

But I remembered the fan error and started wondering what else was different. Boom, found someone getting fan errors running a dual-socket Lenovo board with non-Lenovo coolers. So if your board is Lenovo, that’s likely your problem. I'd say you have two choices. Connect stock Lenovo fans to both headers, or swap the board.

I still have the OEM Lenovo cooler / fan assembly, intake fan, H61 board, PSU and some other bits from the original machine I have. Even the case / chassis with the service tag. If you're interested, make me an offer over shipping costs and they’re yours. Might be cheaper and less trouble than swapping the board.

Edited by An0maly_76
Revised, more info

I don't badmouth others' input, I'd appreciate others not badmouthing mine. *** More below ***

MODERATE TO SEVERE AUTISTIC, COMPLICATED WITH COVID FOG

Due to the above, I've likely revised posts <30 min old, and do not think as you do.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/25/2022 at 10:06 PM, An0maly_76 said:

Your board is a Lenovo? That's probably partially, if not entirely your issue. Lenovo sets their machines up to be fussy about non-Lenovo replacement components, and they can be a pain even with their stock components. There are two fan headers, and if it doesn't see what it's looking for on both, it will report an error and may shut down.

It happens I've been repurposing a ThinkCentre M71e SFF. So I've seen this aux fan error before, yours is likely because the aux fan header has nothing connected or is not a Lenovo-approved fan. I had a complete machine, I just forgot to reconnect the front intake fan. Easy fix, but not so much with yours unless you connect a Lenovo-approved fan. If it's like the board I have, your aux fan header is here, beside the PCIex16... (more below)

image.png.c250fd8730e0dc0422cb409ee9e36897.png

Also be aware that slot is likely not PCIe4.0, or if the board is older, 3.0 or even 2.0 in some cases. I also found out the hard way that not only do vintage Lenovos only support certain graphics cards, what they support varies from model to model as well.

Planning a media NAS, I upgraded this one with an i7-2600 and SSD. Woke it up but it still couldn’t handle ripping DVDs. I already have a 5900X / RTX3060ti setup, so I figured if a GPU was needed, I might as well flip it for a budget gaming build. Lots of people can’t afford new retail these days, so I figure I can help someone out with stuff I don't really need anyway.

Then there’s little orphan Annie – a perfectly good i3-2100 evicted in the upgrade. I hate to toss perfectly good stuff if someone could use it. It can actually still run older games with GTX6xx / 7xx / 16xx cards, even some newer ones on low settings. Some people, especially some kids, would be thrilled with even that.

Scored a 1050 and have a 750ti on the way. 1050 works great, but needs a bigger case. M71e chassis was warped when I got it anyway. No biggie. Unfortunately, I figured out last night that $30 in adapters are needed for proprietary USB / audio / front panel headers. PER BOARD. I need a second board anyway, and $20-$30 + $60 in adapters = $80-$90. Even parts machines were $20-$30 plus shipping, so I realized my best bet was to just start fresh with the processors, memory, and two non-Lenovo boards.

Scored two Intel DH77EB boards for $82. Now looking for suitable coolers, since I foresee issues with using the Lenovo coolers. Sure, the coolers drive up the final cost, but it's a lot less BS in the long run, as I plan to flip these builds. I'll never touch another Lenovo again except to strip it for the CPU, memory and storage. To be truthful, some tried to warn me about this, but I figured if swapped everything it would be fine.

But I remembered the fan error and started wondering what else was different. Boom, found someone getting fan errors running a dual-socket Lenovo board with non-Lenovo coolers. So if your board is Lenovo, that’s likely your problem. I'd say you have two choices. Connect stock Lenovo fans to both headers, or swap the board.

I still have the OEM Lenovo cooler / fan assembly, intake fan, H61 board, PSU and some other bits from the original machine I have. Even the case / chassis with the service tag. If you're interested, make me an offer over shipping costs and they’re yours. Might be cheaper and less trouble than swapping the board.

after a week or 2 the error went away on its own 🙂

Thnks for your info!