Need advice about replacing my Modem-Router

Yogurt the Wiseguy
Go to solution Solved by Donut417,
On 10/24/2022 at 7:39 PM, Yogurt the Wiseguy said:

Hi,

I live in the US and have had Frontier internet (12 Megabit per second!!!) for the last 8 years or so, I have been using a Netgear router that I got second hand from a local Frontier customer and I think it is finally giving up the ghost, my question is, do I need to find a Frontier branded/carrier-locked modem/router or can I use any one and what would you guys recommend for a simple/cheap modem/router in a smallish (about 1,000 square feet) single story house, I don't need it to be super fast (see 12 Megabit per second) and I don't have a heavy local load (no plex servers or NAS)

Thanks.

Sounds like you got some flavor of DSL. You will need to get with Frontier to see if they require you to use their modems. Because while the Cable companies are required to allow customer owned modems, DSL and Fiber providers are not. DSL also generally uses something called PPPoE for authentication, generally its a user name and password, this is something you're going to need to setup your equipment. 

If you are allowed to use your own stuff then you need to find something that supports DSL, last I checked not too many DSL standalone modems exist, so you will have to find a combo unit that works. 

Hi,

I live in the US and have had Frontier internet (12 Megabit per second!!!) for the last 8 years or so, I have been using a Netgear router that I got second hand from a local Frontier customer and I think it is finally giving up the ghost, my question is, do I need to find a Frontier branded/carrier-locked modem/router or can I use any one and what would you guys recommend for a simple/cheap modem/router in a smallish (about 1,000 square feet) single story house, I don't need it to be super fast (see 12 Megabit per second) and I don't have a heavy local load (no plex servers or NAS)

Thanks.

As silly as it may sounds here I love Google wifi..   It good solid never locks up.  Gets automatic software updates.  has all the basic needs for a set it and forget it setup..  And this is from someone who used to work for Linksys back when Linksys made the best routers on the market..  (Gods I hate what cisco did to us  DAM U Victor!)      

7 minutes ago, Yogurt the Wiseguy said:

Hi,

Thanks.

If I were you I'd look into other providers as well, a lot has changed since you got your frontier service and if you are near a city or population center you may be able to get much faster service. Internet companies do not want to keep you as a customer for the most part. New customer numbers look much better than keeping customers on quarterly balance sheets and earnings reports.

6 minutes ago, True said:

As silly as it may sounds here I love Google wifi..   It good solid never locks up.  Gets automatic software updates.  has all the basic needs for a set it and forget it setup..  And this is from someone who used to work for Linksys back when Linksys made the best routers on the market..  (Gods I hate what cisco did to us  DAM U Victor!)      

2 minutes ago, BiotechBen said:

If I were you I'd look into other providers as well, a lot has changed since you got your frontier service and if you are near a city or population center you may be able to get much faster service. Internet companies do not want to keep you as a customer for the most part. New customer numbers look much better than keeping customers on quarterly balance sheets and earnings reports.

I would love to ditch Frontier, but sadly there is nothing else available locally, I live in a very rural area and the only other option would be Starlink if and when it is available.

6 minutes ago, Yogurt the Wiseguy said:

I would love to ditch Frontier, but sadly there is nothing else available locally, I live in a very rural area and the only other option would be Starlink if and when it is available.

🫡

1 hour ago, Yogurt the Wiseguy said:

are there any privacy concerns using this google product?

Information collected

The information your Google Wifi device, Nest Wifi device, Nest Wifi Pro device, Google Wifi app, and Wifi features of the Google Home app collect helps us deliver the best Wi-Fi experience possible. Importantly, the Google Wifi app, Wifi features of the Google Home app, and your Google Wifi and Nest Wifi devices do not track the websites you visit or collect the content of any traffic on your network. However, your Google Wifi and Nest Wifi devices do collect data such as Wi-Fi channel, signal strength, and device types that are relevant to optimize your Wi-Fi performance. Google policies and terms of services apply as normal to any Google services you use (like Gmail or Google search), whether you're using them on a Google Wifi or Nest Wifi network or not.

Not much..   Stuff to make it work better 

16 hours ago, True said:

No the router not the ISP google makes a stand alone router that work with any ISP.  Called Google wifi  https://store.google.com/us/product/google_wifi?hl=en-US

Google home is good if you want a decent pane of glass and a simple setup. Straying into anything like port forwarding and firewall rules and this platform becomes a deal breaker. If you need more advanced setup I would take a look at PFSense as it can do pretty much whatever you need it to do.

Comp Specs: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Chromax Black Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB (4x8GB) DDR4 3600  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD 1 : Sabrent 2TB Rocket NVMe 4.0 Gen4 PCIe M.2  ||  SSD 2: Crucial P1 2TB NVMe M.2 ||  GPU: ZOTAC RTX 3080ti AMP Extreme Holo  ||  PSU: Seasonic FOCUS GX-850  ||  Case: Fractal Design Define 7 XL  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Platinum XT  ||  Monitor: LG UltraGear 32GN63T & MSI Optix G271 (x2)

On 10/24/2022 at 7:39 PM, Yogurt the Wiseguy said:

Hi,

Thanks.

Sounds like you got some flavor of DSL. You will need to get with Frontier to see if they require you to use their modems. Because while the Cable companies are required to allow customer owned modems, DSL and Fiber providers are not. DSL also generally uses something called PPPoE for authentication, generally its a user name and password, this is something you're going to need to setup your equipment. 

If you are allowed to use your own stuff then you need to find something that supports DSL, last I checked not too many DSL standalone modems exist, so you will have to find a combo unit that works. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn.