BIOS locked on HP laptop - no reset helps

chnapo

Hi there,

So right now I have a relatively new HP laptop in my hands (pavilion gaming 16-a0000nc s/n 5CD0358DSB europen version), fixing it for our school and it has a bios password lock. 

The problem is that regular ways of removing HP bios password don't help. It doesn't go into bios with esc or f10, into startup menu, resetting cmos with win+V does not remove it either and after typing it wrong 3 times, instead of 8digits starting with letter i I can only see recovery via HP usb recovery key.

Is there something that could be done about it or we can just throw it into the garbage? 

11 minutes ago, Tom_nerd said:

tried jumping the password reset jumper?

Which one is that? I didn't know it was there.

8 minutes ago, chnapo said:

Which one is that? I didn't know it was there.

Laptops don't normally come with a bios reset jumper. Passwords are stored on memory and cannot be wiped. Sometimes you can short 2 pins on the chip to clear stored setting but most of the time you need to contact support and prove you own the device, not always possible.

if you have acceptable proof of ownership, have the S/N, and some other details..

HP customer support can give you a specific unlock for the laptop (the unlock is serial-specific) if it's one of the models they have that option for.

given it's telling you to use a USB recovery key, i assume the model supports it.

i've had exactly this issue with a few EliteBooks a few years back. they defenately dont go around throwing these unlock keys at every nutcase who calls in, but they can give you one.

Owner does have a proof of ownership, so we will try to go down that path, but as far as I read on forums, HP support was as helpful as to provide a price quote on motherboard replacement.