Assistance Needed - Battery Icon and Drivers are Gone

Hello,

I am in need of some help. A couple of months ago, I was cleaning my Surface Pro 7's drive in order to optimize and free up space using CCleaner. In doing so, I believe that I accidentally deleted some key drivers used for power management, battery monitoring, and battery display (how I managed to royally screw up so bad is a question I ask myself every day). Normally you'd think it'd be an easy fix, but it has been anything but easy.

This is where I go over everything that I have done that I could possibly think of. I may be tech savvy, but I am not attuned to digging below the surface level of software. I have reset back to the last windows update, soft reset my surface (kept files and apps), hard reset my surface (wiped everything and start fresh), installed a fresh version of windows from Microsoft, installed the Create Windows 11 Installation Media tool, installed Windows 11 Disk Image (ISO), ran an in-place upgrade for windows 11, and downloaded the latest Surface Pro 7 drivers and firmware and I still cannot get the battery icon/drivers to work. I'm at the point where I don't know what to do next and all of the guides I try to lookup still have the battery drivers installed but they are either hidden or just not operating. There are no hidden drivers under device manager and the only thing that I can see that is an issue is the Surface Serial Hub Driver which has an error flag for: "This device cannot start. (Code 10)

STATUS_DEVICE_POWER_FAILURE."

I am out of my depth here with several support chats with Microsoft doing no good. I really need some help here guys. Anything and everything is appreciated if it helps me get full functionality of my Surface Pro 7 again

Note: This is not a major issue in the sense that I cannot use my Surface whatsoever. Daily issues include: battery life has been noticeably affected, cannot monitor battery life at all, device shuts off without warning when the battery is dead, and date code and device memory does not update to current date and time until the device has been on for about 30 minutes or so and is essentially stuck in the last place and time that I had my Surface on.

Screenshot 2022-10-19 170735.png

Screenshot 2022-10-19 170908.png

Screenshot 2022-10-19 171544.png

Screenshot 2022-10-19 172626.png

CCleaner.  I wonder if that word will ever be picked up by the public proper instead of other profanity?

there was a period many versions of windows ago where ccleaner was extremely handy.  Those days are long gone. These days like McAfee and some other apps that were really cool in their day, it’s an inch from malware.  My temptation would be a clean install and bios and driver update. And when you reinstall leave CCleaner out.  Did you set a restore point?

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

1 hour ago, Bombastinator said:

CCleaner.  I wonder if that word will ever be picked up by the public proper instead of other profanity?

there was a period many versions of windows ago where ccleaner was extremely handy.  Those days are long gone. These days like McAfee and some other apps that were really cool in their day, it’s an inch from malware.  My temptation would be a clean install and bios and driver update. And when you reinstall leave CCleaner out.  Did you set a restore point?

I am an old time CCleaner user. I suppose you are right, there isn't too much of a need to keep it around. Especially after what happened. However, I have done a fresh install of the entire OS a couple of times as well as scrubbed and replaced all Surface Pro 7 drivers and firmware with no such luck as to getting back my battery icon and drivers.

7 minutes ago, CraigoWaffles said:

I am an old time CCleaner user. I suppose you are right, there isn't too much of a need to keep it around. Especially after what happened. However, I have done a fresh install of the entire OS a couple of times as well as scrubbed and replaced all Surface Pro 7 drivers and firmware with no such luck as to getting back my battery icon and drivers.

So am I.  It saddened me when I had to take it behind the woodshed and do what needed to be done.  Then CCleaner may not have done it.  Still needed to go though.  If there has been a clean install it might not even be software.  This could be coincidence.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Did you try the thing from @FrostX?  

8 minutes ago, CraigoWaffles said:

I have done this on three separate occasions. Nothing works. Please advise a different route.

ah I see what you've done. you most likely have to clean install Windows, not upgrade it. Clean the drive and install windows. The reason for this is that I think you've deleted the internal windows drivers that handle those functions.

12 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

Did you try the thing from @FrostX?  

Yes, I have. All drivers and firmware are up to date. However, no new drivers were installed for the battery which baffles me. This is why I am stuck on where to go from here.

12 hours ago, FrostX said:

ah I see what you've done. you most likely have to clean install Windows, not upgrade it. Clean the drive and install windows. The reason for this is that I think you've deleted the internal windows drivers that handle those functions.

I have done this as well. I completely wiped my computer and got a fresh and clean install direct from Microsoft's server via the cloud. Still nothing...

1 hour ago, CraigoWaffles said:

I have done this as well. I completely wiped my computer and got a fresh and clean install direct from Microsoft's server via the cloud. Still nothing...

walk me through exactly everything you did, down to every detail.

• 1 month later...

It took me a while to fix my Surface Serial Hub Driver and battery icon issues...

This is what helped me: Device manager -> System Devices and uninstalled these 2 drivers:

1. the exact System Driver and name disappeared since it was fixed, but it was something like "Intel Power-Engine"

2. Intel Serial IO UART Host Controller - 9D27

Then scanned for hardware changes and suddenly, the right battery drivers and others drivers installed automatically..

Good luck!

Craigo, I have EXACTLY this same problem, and I am a long time CCLEANER user. I suspected it was due to a CCLEANER session, but of course couldn't be sure. Like you, I'm fairly tech savvy, and scoured the interwebs for all available solutions to this problem. No dice. I'm tempted to try Joris' solution above, but I don't have the 9D27 controller (mine's different). I'll keep trying things and let's stay in touch. If I find a solution I'll let you know and would appreciate same. Thanks and good luck.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/9/2022 at 11:03 PM, Joris M. said:

It took me a while to fix my Surface Serial Hub Driver and battery icon issues...

This is what helped me: Device manager -> System Devices and uninstalled these 2 drivers:

1. the exact System Driver and name disappeared since it was fixed, but it was something like "Intel Power-Engine"

Then scanned for hardware changes and suddenly, the right battery drivers and others drivers installed automatically..

Good luck!

@Joris M. you are my hero. I had the same problem, but my beginning was with the Program "DriverMax" an program which updates driver. . .
Thx so much!!! I have this problem since two weeks and round about 20h I had to do with that. . .

So I deleted:

1. Intel Serial IO UART Host Controller - 9D27

2. Intel(R) Management Engine Interface #1

3. Interl(R)-Energiemodul-Plug-In (in englisch maybe: Intel power module plug-in)

So I restarted the Surface and scanned the hardware for changes.

End of the story I recommend to do a recovery point! 

• 2 months later...

This also worked for me.

I actually sent my in-warranty machine to MSFT when the battery stopped charging it displaying, MSFT returned it saying it was user damage. 

Deleting these drivers solved my issue

i then needed to remove battery limits in the UEFI bios to get the battery charging over 50%.

Very thankful, this saved me from buying a new machine.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/9/2022 at 4:03 PM, Joris M. said:

Good luck!

This didn't work for me but it gave me the idea of just rolling back all of my intel drivers using Snappy driver and only updating them again through the device manager. Then I got a code 45 on the surface serial hub driver instead of the code 10 I had previously so I tried reinstalling the driver again and now my battery icon is back on the task bar and everything seems to be in order. Not sure which thing exactly made it work again since I tried so many things but I am just glad its fixed. :')

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/4/2023 at 7:33 AM, Maik_ said:

@Joris M. you are my hero. I had the same problem, but my beginning was with the Program "DriverMax" an program which updates driver. . .
Thx so much!!! I have this problem since two weeks and round about 20h I had to do with that. . .

So I deleted:

1. Intel Serial IO UART Host Controller - 9D27

2. Intel(R) Management Engine Interface #1

3. Interl(R)-Energiemodul-Plug-In (in englisch maybe: Intel power module plug-in)

So I restarted the Surface and scanned the hardware for changes.

End of the story I recommend to do a recovery point! 

YOU ARE A GOD!!! 
Ive been having battery issues with my surface laptop go (base model) for months, I gave up because I didnt want to fresh install or open up the laptop. I did what you said, just slightly modified for my model.

I uninstalled 3 things like you said:
Intel Serial IO UART Host Controller - (my models numbers here, it was like 3D27)
Intel power module plug-in
and the problematic Serial USB hub

BOOM, as soon as I did that, the battery drivers popped back up. and it reinstalled all my battery drivers and then my icon was back. I love you and I made an account just to thank you for ending my misery.

• 6 months later...
On 4/26/2023 at 6:34 PM, DHKLOK said:

YOU ARE A GOD!!! 
Ive been having battery issues with my surface laptop go (base model) for months, I gave up because I didnt want to fresh install or open up the laptop. I did what you said, just slightly modified for my model.

I uninstalled 3 things like you said:
Intel Serial IO UART Host Controller - (my models numbers here, it was like 3D27)
Intel power module plug-in
and the problematic Serial USB hub

BOOM, as soon as I did that, the battery drivers popped back up. and it reinstalled all my battery drivers and then my icon was back. I love you and I made an account just to thank you for ending my misery.

OMFG! Thank you Joris et al. I've had this issue since I purchased this over a year ago. The battery still functioned but without it being "detected" there was no way to know how much battery was left and no low battery warnings. I mostly use it at home so it hasn't been a huge issue, but I cannot believe how much work it was to try and find a solution to this and then how easy the fix ultimately was.

THANKS ALL!

• 2 months later...

Holy shit this actually worked. Thank you all so so much. I had to do it once or twice but it worked in the end