Travel Wi-Fi Access Point?

NickKz
Go to solution Solved by Biohazard777,
1 hour ago, NickKz said:

Any suggestions would be appreciated, thank you!

GL.iNet as @Takumideshmentioned, they make some nice travel routers.
If you want WiFi 5: GL-A1300 (Slate Plus)

If you want WiFi 6: GL-AXT1800 (Slate AX) 

OpenVPN and WireGuard clients are supported.

For getting through captive portals you can check their docs: https://docs.gl-inet.com/en/4/tutorials/connect_to_a_hotspot_with_captive_portal/

I'm looking for a good solution for using devices like Apple TV etc. when traveling, since they don't work with captive portal WI-Fi at all

The idea would be to have the travel Wi-Fi AP do the captive portal auth and then just have my all of my individual devices connect through that

It would be a double NAT, but I don't think that would really matter, I'm not running game servers or anything, plus I'd want to be able to use a VPN directly on the AP anyway

Being able to set up a VPN directly on the AP would be perfect too, that way I can also use individual devices that I have without having to individually configure them to use a VPN, and I won't have to worry about my devices that don't have VPN configs on them, like the Apple TV

8 minutes ago, NickKz said:

since they don't work with captive portal WI-Fi at all

Are you often traveling outside of your country? If not, why not add a cellular hotspot to your phone? 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

22 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

Are you often traveling outside of your country? If not, why not add a cellular hotspot to your phone? 

Not traveling outside country...at least no plans to any time soon.  Maybe next year?

Problem with using phone as a hotspot is two issues.  

Firstly, you can't connect the phone to the hotel Wifi when it's sharing it's LTE/5G connection using the wifi radio.  At least my iPhone 13 pro can't do that, I'm fairly certain.  So the phone itself also must use the LTE/5G connection for all of its own data / apps.

IF the phone itself had dual band WiFi and could do 2.4 Ghz to the Hotel AP and then share that out of the 5Ghz to my other devices as a hotspot, that would be perfect.  But yeah I'm 99.9% certain iPhones aren't capable of this.  Maybe there are Android devices that are?  That's something to look into.  Wouldn't mind buying a refurb'd Android phone and using it like that.  

Quick google search -- looks like this IS possible on Android!  Neat.

Second issue though is speed, LTE/5G reception is usually pretty terrible inside hotels.  If it wasn't, I wouldn't mind doing it, but yeah I've tried and usually what happens is the speeds are so slow my Apple TV will just buffer eternally when trying to watch anything.

I think also there are problems with AirPlay to the ATV when using that setup, though it's been awhile since I've tried it.

There are some travel routers out there that can run openWRT allowing for vpns and such. something like this maybe? there are of course a million different variations.

EDIT: the one i linked doesn't support 5ghz but there are plenty out there that do.

If your question is answered, mark it so.  | It's probably just coil whine, and it is probably just fine |   LTT Movie Club!

Read the docs. If they don't exist, write them. | Professional Thread Derailer

Desktop: i7-8700K, RTX 2080, 16G 3200Mhz, EndeavourOS(host), win10 (VFIO), Fedora(VFIO)

Server: ryzen 9 5900x, GTX 970, 64G 3200Mhz, Unraid.

1 hour ago, NickKz said:

GL.iNet as @Takumideshmentioned, they make some nice travel routers.
If you want WiFi 5: GL-A1300 (Slate Plus)

If you want WiFi 6: GL-AXT1800 (Slate AX) 

OpenVPN and WireGuard clients are supported.

For getting through captive portals you can check their docs: https://docs.gl-inet.com/en/4/tutorials/connect_to_a_hotspot_with_captive_portal/

VGhlIHF1aWV0ZXIgeW91IGJlY29tZSwgdGhlIG1vcmUgeW91IGFyZSBhYmxlIHRvIGhlYXIu

^ not a crypto wallet

Or you can build your own travel router using a raspberry pi, you can also install a 5G hat if you need to use a sim. One video guide I saw was made by Networkchuck on youtube, he shows how to install openwrt and adding vpn too. It includes connecting to a wifi captive portal as well.

5 hours ago, Takumidesh said:

There are some travel routers out there that can run openWRT allowing for vpns and such. something like this maybe? there are of course a million different variations.

EDIT: the one i linked doesn't support 5ghz but there are plenty out there that do.

OpenWRT is a good way to this, done it myself for captive portals using one WiFi on the router as a client then a second as the Access Point.

However its worth noting you may technically be in breach of the terms of service of the hotel WiFi by doing this.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

Thanks everyone, I think I have enough resources from the posts to get started 🙂

I will update this thread when I decide which one to get, but the GL.iNet one with Wifi 6 looks pretty slick!  Has openWRT firmware!!