Rack mount UPS

Takumidesh

What is with the price disparity for rack mountable UPS's versus 'regular' ones?

APC 1500VA: $170

CyberPower 1500VA: $556

I understand the premium for rack mount, but over 3x the cost?

I am just looking to power my home server long enough to park the disks and do a clean shutdown, which, depending on VMs, docker, disks spinning etc, can take as long as 5 minutes worst case.

am running a 750Watt power supply, and am probably approaching that and may end up bumping up to 1000watt 80 plus titanium. meaning that atleast for now, the UPS needs to be sized for 1100.

Any suggestions for something rack mountable (or at the very least would look ok on a shelf in a rack.) that won't cost me an arm and a leg?

If your question is answered, mark it so.  | It's probably just coil whine, and it is probably just fine |   LTT Movie Club!

Read the docs. If they don't exist, write them. | Professional Thread Derailer

Desktop: i7-8700K, RTX 2080, 16G 3200Mhz, EndeavourOS(host), win10 (VFIO), Fedora(VFIO)

Server: ryzen 9 5900x, GTX 970, 64G 3200Mhz, Unraid.

But if you then compare apples to apples...

Screenshot_148.png

One 1500VA UPS isnt the other. They might have different means of getting the sine-wave right and such.
But also i think the battery choice is very limited with rack-mount as they are usually a lot thinner.
But as you can see, similar devices are pretty equal on price.

When i ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

Not willing to capitulate to the ignorance of the masses!

well the apples to apples comparison is even worse for APC lol.

But of course, I am sure part of this is because of the low volume sold on newegg, lots of third party sellers and used stuff.

Capture.PNG

If your question is answered, mark it so.  | It's probably just coil whine, and it is probably just fine |   LTT Movie Club!

Desktop: i7-8700K, RTX 2080, 16G 3200Mhz, EndeavourOS(host), win10 (VFIO), Fedora(VFIO)

8 minutes ago, HanZie82 said:

They might have different means of getting the sine-wave right and such.

What's the point of having a sine-wave for a PC UPS?

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

6 minutes ago, Takumidesh said:

well the apples to apples comparison is even worse for APC lol.

But of course, I am sure part of this is because of the low volume sold on newegg, lots of third party sellers and used stuff.

Oh snap, yeah thats no fun. 😞
But i do think you hit it on the nail with the volume sold tho. Matters a whole lot to a store like that.
But as for your other question im sorry, i have not enough experience with UPS to give a proper suggestion.

3 minutes ago, ZetZet said:

Isnt that what makes the the current alternating in AC (Alternating current).
And since they use a DC source (the battery) to power from. I would think the quality of the sine-wave that comes out matters a whole lot for a PC PSU.

But i could be wrong, its been a while since i had to work with UPSs.

When i ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

Not willing to capitulate to the ignorance of the masses!

1 minute ago, ZetZet said:

10 minutes ago, HanZie82 said:

But if you then compare apples to apples...

One 1500VA UPS isnt the other. They might have different means of getting the sine-wave right and such.
But also i think the battery choice is very limited with rack-mount as they are usually a lot thinner.
But as you can see, similar devices are pretty equal on price.

And there is where my knowledge fails me, I don't know know what I need I guess. I just need a pretty basic setup for a single PC.

6 minutes ago, HanZie82 said:

Isnt that what makes the the current alternating in AC (Alternating current).
And since they use a DC source (the battery) to power from. I would think the quality of the sine-wave that comes out matter a whole lot for a PC PSU.

But i could be wrong, its been a while since i had to work with UPSs.

Because PC's use switching power supplies sine-wave doesn't matter much at all. You want pure sine-wave for inductive loads like motors and stuff. Unless it's like one step simulated sine-wave, but those UPS are like EXTREMELY cheap anyway. 

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

5 hours ago, ZetZet said:

Because a true sine-wave UPS with PFC correction allows your PSU to actually get better efficiency than feeding it a terrible power signal and hoping it corrects well enough. Also your PC PSU might handle ok without it but your monitor may not.

It's not exactly a high end feature now days anyway, anything that doesn't have a half decent sine-wave output is garbage and should be avoided. Doesn't HAVE to be true sine-wave but not all simulated sine-wave's are equal.

5 hours ago, Takumidesh said:

Because there are different types of UPS's

• Switching UPS
  • Line Interactive UPS
  • Online or Online Double Conversion UPS

In order of cost type.

4 hours ago, leadeater said:

Because there are different types of UPS's

• Switching UPS
  • Line Interactive UPS
  • Online or Online Double Conversion UPS

In order of cost type.

so would you recommend for my use case a simple switching ups?

28 minutes ago, Takumidesh said:

so would you recommend for my use case a simple switching ups?

Line interactive would be better, switching doesn't offer much protection if any at all and the switch over time can be slow enough to cause PC reboot.

On 10/18/2022 at 9:58 AM, Takumidesh said:

What is with the price disparity for rack mountable UPS's versus 'regular' ones?

APC 1500VA: $170

CyberPower 1500VA: $556

I am just looking to power my home server long enough to park the disks and do a clean shutdown, which, depending on VMs, docker, disks spinning etc, can take as long as 5 minutes worst case.

am running a 750Watt power supply, and am probably approaching that and may end up bumping up to 1000watt 80 plus titanium. meaning that atleast for now, the UPS needs to be sized for 1100.

Any suggestions for something rack mountable (or at the very least would look ok on a shelf in a rack.) that won't cost me an arm and a leg?

Honestly just buy a used UPS off ebay and pickup a replacement battery brand new.