The Workstation Plan:

Go to solution Solved by jaslion,
Just now, ArxFatalis said:

will keep in mind, also, already bought a cooler, simply waiting for it to arrive. Getting a Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240 RGB

Ps, what do you think of this build:https://pangoly.com/en/build/share/2022/10/12/custom/1839979a-d2aa-4280-9ac3-44c4d2000afa

Still a bit expensive but still. wouldn't mind a better GPU and processor (I'd want an entirely new workstation as I'd like to separate my gaming PC from my work PC, as I can't really do anything if I have something massive rendering),

Just get a normal 12900k the s is such a ripoff.

That is waaay too high of a price for a 3090 then can be found for a 1000€ new. either way the 4090 completly invalidates the 3090 at that price.

Why the wd reds? Thats nas storage. Id just get the normal consumer sn570s here. A single one and then 2 big hdds in raid1 to have a hot spare.

Go back to the gigabyte screen btw its better for little extra.

Budget (including currency): $10.000

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Unreal Engine 5, Visual Studio, Blender, etc.

Other details:

Hello there! I'm a modeler that decided to gather up a team of friends to create out own game, as it is our dream to do so. Some of us have experience with a specific thing but none of us has worked with Unreal Engine before, although we are using it to make the game. I am the person that mainly works on UE5 and I also lead the team. While I do have quite a good PC for games and whatnot, I'd like to get myself an actual workstation to be able to work on it faster, more easily, etc. I already know every component and everything else I need to build the workstation (put it all together to estimate the price here https://pangoly.com/en/build/share/2022/10/12/custom/07ff8a03-5305-4ed8-80e7-509a006473fa), after which I realized, that's a lot of money. To be honest, I'd like to buy it even though I have no money for it, and anything lesser then that will simply not be good enough for me (Don't ask me why, that's simply the best workstation possible and since any workstation for UE5 will cost a few grand, why not go top tier).

PS. my current setup:
Asus Prime H510 m-e motherboard
Intel core i5-11400F (6 cores. 12 threads, 2.60 GHz base speed, 4.2 GHz max), in process of buying it a cooler (Arctic Cooling Liquid Freezer II 240)
64GB of RAM (2x32GB sticks, 3200 MHZ)
Nvidia RTX 3060 Pegasus, 12GB VRam
3TB of storage

It is really good for games and all, but not as much for development. The processor is too weak, slowing my progress down by, a lot.

I will probably not ever get the money, so image this as a hypothetical question. Do you think I am planning to get a too good of a PC, or rather, is this overkill? The project I am working on would be as big as games like The Witcher 3, Skyrim V, RDR2, etc.
(If you have so much money you don't know where to spend it, tell me, I need it for this build, cause I don't have it lmao)

Prepare for a post lock dream builds are not allowed. Begging isn't allowed iether

So just to entertain you:

Fyi just use your current pc waiting you'll have to do anyway.

The system you made honestly sucks massively for game dev.

The aio is as good as something half the price.

4k on an out of date low single core performance cpu is crazy. Games right now are optimized for 8 threads you are NEVER going to use that cpu to the fullest and due to the lower single core performance its just gonna be worse than even what you have now for testing.

Ram is stupid amount you just don't need that at all.

For a 10k rig the gpu is lacking flat out. Either way you don't need that once again.

870qvo are super slow ssds don't buy em

I know you just sorted by what is the most expensive and as per usual thats never the best.

For your game first see if it even gets off the ground instead of investing money. Then when you have a good enough functional prototype put it on kickstarter and see what happens.

I have done gamedev on a computer not even half your strength for years. If this thing isn't keeping up you are seriously doing something wrong in the optimization department and need to have a look at that.

Use your current system. Don't bother with an Arctic AIO. It's utterly wasted on a locked i5-11400F. The CPU is a 65W TDP part. Something like an AK-400 or even an SE-224-XT would be more than enough.

If your 3TB of storage is not all SSD, add NVMe or SATA SSD storage. Development work involves a lot file i/o.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

13 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Prepare for a post lock dream builds are not allowed. Begging isn't allowed iether

So just to entertain you:

Fyi just use your current pc waiting you'll have to do anyway.

The system you made honestly sucks massively for game dev.

The aio is as good as something half the price.

4k on an out of date low single core performance cpu is crazy. Games right now are optimized for 8 threads you are NEVER going to use that cpu to the fullest and due to the lower single core performance its just gonna be worse than even what you have now for testing.

Ram is stupid amount you just don't need that at all.

For a 10k rig the gpu is lacking flat out. Either way you don't need that once again.

870qvo are super slow ssds don't buy em

I know you just sorted by what is the most expensive and as per usual thats never the best.

For your game first see if it even gets off the ground instead of investing money. Then when you have a good enough functional prototype put it on kickstarter and see what happens.

I have done gamedev on a computer not even half your strength for years. If this thing isn't keeping up you are seriously doing something wrong in the optimization department and need to have a look at that.

If you can't tell, the last part which you call "begging" was meant as a joke, not my fault you had no sense of humor.

"The system you made honestly sucks massively for game dev", did you think I posted it here cause I know that or cause I don't know that? The point of posting here was so that I can get an opinion and recommendations now to be insulted by people like you.

I do not need the pc for games but to make games, atm with 64GB of ram, whenever I don't use UE5 it already goes up to nearly 32 usage, I got lots of stuff as I do, SFX, VFX, lighting, modelling, voice acting, texturing, soon starting on mocap, etc. I need that amount of ram m8, this aint fortnite I'm trying to make.

For the GPU, I know, forgot to update it lol, the site doesn't show all options until after you've selected one of the defaults for some reason.

And no, I sorted by what I thought personbally is good as I have no experience with workstations and I'm not someone well versed in building a PC, which once again, is why I posted it here.

Sorry m8 but your arguments are useless. Thanks tho

10 minutes ago, brob said:

Use your current system. Don't bother with an Arctic AIO. It's utterly wasted on a locked i5-11400F. The CPU is a 65W TDP part. Something like an AK-400 or even an SE-224-XT would be more than enough.

If your 3TB of storage is not all SSD, add NVMe or SATA SSD storage. Development work involves a lot file i/o.

Hm, aight. The thing is, I went by what lots of sites recommendations said lol, that's why I went with such a choice. As for my CPU, it's holding everything else back tho, my PC is really about 6 years old, with me upgrading a component or 2 every year, so the current cooling system is crappy, causing the CPU to get to about 90 degrees often without me doing anything major that is. And yeah, I got all SSDs

28 minutes ago, ArxFatalis said:

I got lots of stuff as I do, SFX, VFX, lighting, modelling, voice acting, texturing, soon starting on mocap, etc. I need that amount of ram m8, this aint fortnite I'm trying to make.

In your list I see nothing your current system cannot handle at all even multiple things at a time. If you are prerendering stuff whilst doing other tasks you can have the best system in the world it's gonna still be slow and multitasking becomes a no go.

29 minutes ago, ArxFatalis said:

up to nearly 32 usage

Thats normal that is intentional. The more ram there is the less efficient windows will be with it. Until it starts running out. This is by design to offer the best performance possible.

30 minutes ago, ArxFatalis said:

If you can't tell, the last part which you call "begging" was meant as a joke, not my fault you had no sense of humor.

You have no idea how many dream build troll builds pop up each day I thought this was just another one and wanted to have some fun.

Point still stands the threadripper is bad for gamedev and doesn't make any sense at all. Something more mundane like a i5 12600k is gonna do just as well. Better actually due to it's far better single core performance.

28 minutes ago, ArxFatalis said:

current cooling system is crappy, causing the CPU to get to about 90 degrees often without me doing anything major that is

Fix that and you'll see a lot of performance come out of that cpu suddenly you don't need a big fancy aio a hyper 212, ak400, bequiet dark rock slim, vetroo v5,... will all more than do the job.

i will stand by my point your current system is plenty good. I know I am still in this wack ass stressy world sadly.

5 minutes ago, jaslion said:

In your list I see nothing your current system cannot handle at all even multiple things at a time. If you are prerendering stuff whilst doing other tasks you can have the best system in the world it's gonna still be slow and multitasking becomes a no go.

Thats normal that is intentional. The more ram there is the less efficient windows will be with it. Until it starts running out. This is by design to offer the best performance possible.

You have no idea how many dream build troll builds pop up each day I thought this was just another one and wanted to have some fun.

Point still stands the threadripper is bad for gamedev and doesn't make any sense at all. Something more mundane like a i5 12600k is gonna do just as well. Better actually due to it's far better single core performance.

Fix that and you'll see a lot of performance come out of that cpu suddenly you don't need a big fancy aio a hyper 212, ak400, bequiet dark rock slim, vetroo v5,... will all more than do the job.

i will stand by my point your current system is plenty good. I know I am still in this wack ass stressy world sadly.

Alright, thank you a lot. Didn't really know that'd be enough, thought it'd be much harder than that for it all and didn't know half the stuff u told me lol. Anyways, I do still think I should get myself a better CPU, with more cores and threads, as atm, unreal engine is SOOOOOO slow at compiling shaders, which require threads if I aint wrong, and my CPU is either too weak or it's really the cooling's fault for it to only be able to use 1 at a time (if I allow it to use more, my pc sounds like it'll blow up and the temp of the CPU scares me). Anyways, I guess I'll keep the current one.

14 minutes ago, ArxFatalis said:

SOOOOOO slow at compiling shaders

it kinda is for everyone. Tip of the day when testing just turn them off/simplify em. Or keep a prerendered cache of them ready. Don't need to rebuild shaders every single time unless you are shader editing.

Fix your cooling all of the recommended ones are about 35€ and see where that gets you already.

Keep in mind I was assistant lead vfx, landscape and 3d graphics designer on a massively popular award winning rpg game from 2017 and that was done on a i7 6700hq, 32gb ram and 970m laptop and it was fine. Having some downtime because the computer is busy is good too. Forces you to take a small mindbreak.

5 minutes ago, jaslion said:

it kinda is for everyone. Tip of the day when testing just turn them off/simplify em. Or keep a prerendered cache of them ready. Don't need to rebuild shaders every single time unless you are shader editing.

Fix your cooling all of the recommended ones are about 35€ and see where that gets you already.

Keep in mind I was assistant lead vfx, landscape and 3d graphics designer on a massively popular award winning rpg game from 2017 and that was done on a i7 6700hq, 32gb ram and 970m laptop and it was fine. Having some downtime because the computer is busy is good too. Forces you to take a small mindbreak.

will keep in mind, also, already bought a cooler, simply waiting for it to arrive. Getting a Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240 RGB

Ps, what do you think of this build:https://pangoly.com/en/build/share/2022/10/12/custom/1839979a-d2aa-4280-9ac3-44c4d2000afa

Still a bit expensive but still. wouldn't mind a better GPU and processor (I'd want an entirely new workstation as I'd like to separate my gaming PC from my work PC, as I can't really do anything if I have something massive rendering),

Just now, ArxFatalis said:

That is waaay too high of a price for a 3090 then can be found for a 1000€ new. either way the 4090 completly invalidates the 3090 at that price.

Why the wd reds? Thats nas storage. Id just get the normal consumer sn570s here. A single one and then 2 big hdds in raid1 to have a hot spare.

2 minutes ago, jaslion said:

aight, thx