PC suddenly not turning on.

klnstpr

Hi, totally out of the blue my pc stopped turning on today. I literally turned it off a couple hours back and now it doesn’t work. My first assumption was that the PSU is dead, as it served me well for quite some time now. However, after removing the GPU, it starts fine (leds and fans turn on, they don’t with the gpu in). So my question is: my gpu is 100% dead? Or could it be that the PSU is faulty and doesn’t have enough power to start with the gpu inside.

Specs: GTX 1080 msi armor oc

Mobo: msi mag b550 tomahawk

CPU: r5 5600x

Ram: 2x16gb crucial ballistix (I don’t remember the clock speed)

Psu: some chieftec 600w one (popular in Poland, presumably a decent brand) Update: chieftec gps-700A8, 700w

Note: Every cable but the power cord was unplugged when it run without the gpu.

Another note: when powering on with the GPU inside, it only reacts to the power button once. What i mean is, after the first press mobo lights up for a split second (the ez-debug cpu led lights up red too). Then i need to unplug it from power, wait a few seconds, and then plug it in again to replicate the behaviour.

Update: PSU arrived (be quiet pure power 11fm 750w). PC still does not want to power on with the GPU in (but without the funky shit i described earlier). GPU-out it powers on fine. I figure the GPU is dead.

note: also tried connecting it to a different pcie slot but with no success.

Edited by klnstpr
update

Test the GPU in another PC and you'll have your answer. 🙂
Does sound like the PSU might be giving up though, hard to say.

The GPU isn't necessarily dead. But it sounds like somethings gone wrong with the PSU.

Did a power surge happen. Lighting strike in the area or ground or purely it just randomly died with no suspected reasoning.

Take the GPU out, place it in an new one and try seeing what happens.

1 hour ago, klnstpr said:

Hi, totally out of the blue my pc stopped turning on today. I literally turned it off a couple hours back and now it doesn’t work. My first assumption was that the PSU is dead, as it served me well for quite some time now. However, after removing the GPU, it starts fine (leds and fans turn on, they don’t with the gpu in). So my question is: my gpu is 100% dead? Or could it be that the PSU is faulty and doesn’t have enough power to start with the gpu inside.

Specs: GTX 1080 msi armor oc

Mobo: msi mag b550 tomahawk

CPU: r5 5600x

Ram: 2x16gb crucial ballistix (I don’t remember the clock speed)

Psu: some chieftec 600w one (popular in Poland, presumably a decent brand) Update: chieftec gps-700A8, 700w

Note: Every cable but the power cord was unplugged when it run without the gpu.

Another note: when powering on with the GPU inside, it only reacts to the power button once. What i mean is, after the first press mobo lights up for a split second (the ez-debug cpu led lights up red too). Then i need to unplug it from power, wait a few seconds, and then plug it in again to replicate the behaviour.

Let's focus on this part. Does toggling the power switch on he back of the PSU achieve the same result as removing the wall cable and  waiting a few seconds?

What you're describing is typical of a PSU failure, where some protection, overvoltage or overcurrent or etc, is being triggered on the PSU

It's possible that the GPU is faulty and is triggering the fault, but you'd need to try a different PSU or GPU to confirm. My first guess is the PSU is choking on the GPU during POST

Salt SYSTEMs:

SYSTEM-Infinity+1(Centerpiece) -- Ryzen 5600X + RX 6800 XT + Galahad 360 + 32GB + Thermaltake P3

SYSTEM-Embrace (Portable) --Ryzen 5600 + RX 5700 XT + Galahad 240 + 16GB + Hyte Revolt 3

^this.

It's definitely a hardware fault. But could even be just a faulty PSU cable, I'm assuming though that the chieftec PSU isn't modular?  but hopefully it has another GPU cable you can try?

If no luck there, i'd carry on with what others mentioned above.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

59 minutes ago, NaClKnight said:

Let's focus on this part. Does toggling the power switch on he back of the PSU achieve the same result as removing the wall cable and  waiting a few seconds?

What you're describing is typical of a PSU failure, where some protection, overvoltage or overcurrent or etc, is being triggered on the PSU

It's possible that the GPU is faulty and is triggering the fault, but you'd need to try a different PSU or GPU to confirm. My first guess is the PSU is choking on the GPU during POST

I have to physically unplug the psu from the wall to trigger this.

51 minutes ago, paddy-stone said:

^this.

It's definitely a hardware fault. But could even be just a faulty PSU cable, I'm assuming though that the chieftec PSU isn't modular?  but hopefully it has another GPU cable you can try?

If no luck there, i'd carry on with what others mentioned above.

Not modular, unfortunately only one gpu cable.

1 hour ago, AxS said:

The GPU isn't necessarily dead. But it sounds like somethings gone wrong with the PSU.

Did a power surge happen. Lighting strike in the area or ground or purely it just randomly died with no suspected reasoning.

Take the GPU out, place it in an new one and try seeing what happens.

I am not 100% certain, since I wasn't home during that time. Power surges do happen sometimes where I live. I have the only pc in the house so no way of trying in other machine.

Thanks for all the answers. Bought a new PSU, should arrive on friday. I will post an update whether that fixed it.

19 minutes ago, klnstpr said:

Thanks for all the answers. Bought a new PSU, should arrive on friday. I will post an update whether that fixed it.

Alright all good.

Update: PSU arrived (be quiet pure power 11fm 750w). PC still does not want to power on with the GPU in (but without the funky shit i described earlier). GPU-out it powers on fine. I figure the GPU is dead.

note: also tried connecting it to a different pcie slot but with no success.

I opened it up (photos below). I imagine that the discolouration is due to overheating? Can I save it somehow?image.thumb.jpeg.31b5296ac3260da5a5bfc29915bf2301.jpeg

A18203BD-C5DA-4D6D-8A7C-532B0BCE2FA1_1_201_a.jpeg