Validating/Testing used mining RTX3080 that I bought for $400.

RainbowRoad

Hi all, I am new here on the forums! 

I upgraded from my 1050ti and picked up an Asus RTX 3080 (Tuf Gaming 10gb)  from a local miner for $400 last week. Everything seems to be going well and the card appears to be working without issue. I ran Furmark for 3 hours and didn't see any issues with the card. Recently, I logged a 2 hour plus session of Cyberpunk 2077 with GPU-Z and attached a pic with the max readings pinned. I cant see any red flags but I am wondering if anyone has a different perspective. The seller gave me a "7 day guarantee" and today  would be the last day I can return it. 

Screenshot 2022-10-09 103306.png

PXL_20221009_154932181.jpg

It looks good as far as I can tell. You could maybe try some undervolting to get the fan RPM down a bit. especially minging GPUs often suffer from bad fans, because they run 24/7

The results seem consistent with other reviews like this one from Tom's Hardware: https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/asus-geforce-rtx-3080-tuf-gaming-oc-review

The only slight unknown I see here is what the max fan speed is since 2077 only ramped fans up to ~70%. TH was able to get ~3000 RPM at what I assume is 100% fan load. If you really want to confirm, either uncap frame rates and turn off vsync, or use an app like MSI after burner to temporarily ramp up fan speed.

Thanks, Both

@Devryd - I wonder if I should preemptively purchase some replacement fans. Gamers Nexus did a tear down and the fan replacement seems kind of like a bear but within my my DIY ability. 

@NobleGamer - Thanks, I have seen some 3080 cards get higher boost clocks but I feel like this thing is thermally sound. I was going to potentially remove the heatsink and apply new paste and pads. However, I don't think I will see much benefit right now. I will look into the fan speed - good observation. 

On 10/9/2022 at 9:31 PM, RainbowRoad said:

I wonder if I should preemptively purchase some replacement fans. Gamers Nexus did a tear down and the fan replacement seems kind of like a bear but within my my DIY ability. 

If they fail, just use 2 case fans instead. 
There was a video on LTT a while back and it works fine