Constant GPU related BSOD, or game crashes

TheShout

Hello All,

I have a recurring issue with my PC for the past few months, and I haven't been able to pinpoint the root cause browsing the web yet.

While playing most games, the system regurarly crashes in one of the following ways:

1, BSOD with nvlddmkm.sys error code (30%)

2, Complete system freeze, I can only manually kill the system with the power button (60%)

3, Game crashes to Desktop (10%)

Most games produce any or all of these issues. Fallout 76 produces 1 and 2 after around 5-10 minutes of gametime, Dragon Age Origins produces 3 irregularly, but at least once in an hour. Other games also produce 1 and 2 regularly, but interestingly I can play Binding of Isaac without an issue for hours, never had any problem with it.

After browsing through the web, I have tried the following:

- Updating GPU drivers to latest stable

- Clean reinstall of GPU driver with DDU to latest version, as well as earlier versions 511.23 and 472.12

- Updating windows manually

- Performing a memory check (no problems detected)

- Defragging SSD and Hard Drive

PC runs a Ryzen 2600, Asus GeForce 1070, and dual channel 16GB of 3200 Mhz RAM. Never been overclocked in any way.

Below are minidump files from instances where BSOD happens:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1pLH-m0G-I7RI8B6-JZi6l_HCF5-OUa9y?usp=sharing

Hopeful you can help!

if i remember correctly evga had issues with their power delivery for the 1070. its possible you are having the same issues. within hwinfo64, how does your 12v look? if its not stable, and you know how using a multimeter to check 12v might help to rule out power delivery. what about a re-paste?

49 minutes ago, blackdragonx1186 said:

if i remember correctly evga had issues with their power delivery for the 1070. its possible you are having the same issues. within hwinfo64, how does your 12v look? if its not stable, and you know how using a multimeter to check 12v might help to rule out power delivery. what about a re-paste?

Hi, I'm not sure what you mean by the above, haven't used hwinfo before, but if you can explain what to look for, happy to check. Multimeter I'm not familiar with, so let's not do that, and about the re-paste, do you think the problem is not software related?

21 hours ago, TheShout said:

Hi, I'm not sure what you mean by the above, haven't used hwinfo before, but if you can explain what to look for, happy to check. Multimeter I'm not familiar with, so let's not do that, and about the re-paste, do you think the problem is not software related?

search for hwinfo64, it provides a ton of information about your pc. temps/clock speeds etc. among the many readings you will see your 12v rail voltage, as well as you can see approx voltage for what your card is getting fed from the 12v rails. basically i rule out hardware before worrying about software. im fairly certain the some 1070s didnt have a great vrm on board so that could be it, or possibly your power supply isnt giving enough power. a muitimeter would be preferred but if you arent comfortable using it, dont. you could short out your psu, which wont hurt it but its not great to trip its short circuit protection. under load, either game or benchmark of some kind, as long as your 12v is above 11.8 its generally fine. the spec goes down to 11.6 but if its dropping that low thats generally a problem. above 12v is also fine as it might bounce to 12.1 or 12.2v