My gpu is doing strange things is it dying?

Marcelo Delicia

I recently upgraded my system and got a new everything basically just kept my old 1650 from like 2 or 3 years ago and i've been using it for a week of two and now ive been playing some heaver games and its crashing sometimes and now it was glitching on a game and all the ground in the game was white. What is happening with my card is it dying or it the new systems fault? I was monitoring temps in afterburner and they didnt even go above the high 60s and also it was losing some performance.

Model:

Galax NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 1 Click OC Dual, 4GB, GDDR5, 128Bit,

image.png.281f378e6383c3e398cd1d89e932a28e.png

potato.

7 minutes ago, Marcelo Delicia said:

I recently upgraded my system and got a new everything basically just kept my old 1650 from like 2 or 3 years ago and i've been using it for a week of two and now ive been playing some heaver games and its crashing sometimes and now it was glitching on a game and all the ground in the game was white. What is happening with my card is it dying or it the new systems fault? I was monitoring temps in afterburner and they didnt even go above the high 60s and also it was losing some performance.

Model:

Galax NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 1 Click OC Dual, 4GB, GDDR5, 128Bit,

image.png.281f378e6383c3e398cd1d89e932a28e.png

Playing "heavier games" on a 1650 is probably your first mistake but i digress.

• What game is giving you trouble?
  • Did you have issues playing that game on your old build?
  • Have you updated your GPU drivers?
  • Do any other games give you issues?
  • Is the game stored on a HDD or an SSD?
  • Do the problems start immediately or occur over time?
  • Does adjusting the graphics settings of the game (resolution, quality, etc) change anything?

Salt SYSTEMs:

SYSTEM-Infinity+1(Centerpiece) -- Ryzen 5600X + RX 6800 XT + Galahad 360 + 32GB + Thermaltake P3

SYSTEM-Embrace (Portable) --Ryzen 5600 + RX 5700 XT + Galahad 240 + 16GB + Hyte Revolt 3

5 minutes ago, NaClKnight said:

Playing "heavier games" on a 1650 is probably your first mistake but i digress.

•  
  • What game is giving you trouble? I was playing gta v and it crashed multiple times just closed down no report, then i played euro truck 2 after about a 3 hours gta v session and it was glitching out every road was just white and low performance

• Did you have issues playing that game on your old build? Just had bottlenecking issues and the gpu kinda vibrated but i think thats just the shit fan

• Have you updated your GPU drivers? yes its a brand new install

• Do any other games give you issues? No not really but i dont play many games

• Is the game stored on a HDD or an SSD? Gta v was in the hdd and euro truck in the ssd

• Do the problems start immediately or occur over time? they occur over time

• Does adjusting the graphics settings of the game (resolution, quality, etc) change anything? they took longer to crash when i reduced graphics settings sometimes.

potato.

On 10/4/2022 at 8:58 PM, Marcelo Delicia said:
  • What game is giving you trouble? I was playing gta v and it crashed multiple times just closed down no report, then i played euro truck 2 after about a 3 hours gta v session and it was glitching out every road was just white and low performance

• Did you have issues playing that game on your old build? Just had bottlenecking issues and the gpu kinda vibrated but i think thats just the shit fan

• Have you updated your GPU drivers? yes its a brand new install

• Do any other games give you issues? No not really but i dont play many games

• Is the game stored on a HDD or an SSD? Gta v was in the hdd and euro truck in the ssd

• Do the problems start immediately or occur over time? they occur over time

• Does adjusting the graphics settings of the game (resolution, quality, etc) change anything? they took longer to crash when i reduced graphics settings sometimes.

OK, so let's try stress testing your GPU. We want to use an app like HWinfo to monitor the usage and Temps of the GPU and the VRAM (these may be labeled differently for your pc in HWinfo but you're looking for GPU core and memory or something similar)

We want to monitor those 4 numbers (utilization and temp for GPU core and memory) while you run a stress test. There are plenty of free ones available but Furmark and MSI Kombustor are frequently used. The goal is to push the GPU hard for at least 30 min and see if it reproduces those graphical errors, and if so, what the hardware is doing at that time.

That will give you a good idea if it's a GPU issue or not.

Salt SYSTEMs:

SYSTEM-Infinity+1(Centerpiece) -- Ryzen 5600X + RX 6800 XT + Galahad 360 + 32GB + Thermaltake P3

SYSTEM-Embrace (Portable) --Ryzen 5600 + RX 5700 XT + Galahad 240 + 16GB + Hyte Revolt 3

On 10/8/2022 at 9:14 AM, NaClKnight said:

OK, so let's try stress testing your GPU. We want to use an app like HWinfo to monitor the usage and Temps of the GPU and the VRAM (these may be labeled differently for your pc in HWinfo but you're looking for GPU core and memory or something similar)

We want to monitor those 4 numbers (utilization and temp for GPU core and memory) while you run a stress test. There are plenty of free ones available but Furmark and MSI Kombustor are frequently used. The goal is to push the GPU hard for at least 30 min and see if it reproduces those graphical errors, and if so, what the hardware is doing at that time.

That will give you a good idea if it's a GPU issue or not.

Well i monitored the temps on the card and they seemed alright fan was kinda noisy but nothing else was bad.

Now am 100% sure that it isnt a graphics card problem i swaped the gpu for a new one since i was gonna change it anyways and the same problem still persists. I notice this crashing usually happens when the gpu is at full load like 99% without  vsync or /  8x MSAA with vsync i have tested swaping drives hard drives and it didnt help either.

potato.

3 hours ago, Marcelo Delicia said:

Well i monitored the temps on the card and they seemed alright fan was kinda noisy but nothing else was bad.

Now am 100% sure that it isnt a graphics card problem i swaped the gpu for a new one since i was gonna change it anyways and the same problem still persists. I notice this crashing usually happens when the gpu is at full load like 99% without  vsync or /  8x MSAA with vsync i have tested swaping drives hard drives and it didnt help either.

Since it's now happening on multiple GPUs, let's look at the rest of your build.

What else is in your PC? And what was the second GPU you used to test it?

Salt SYSTEMs:

14 minutes ago, NaClKnight said:

Since it's now happening on multiple GPUs, let's look at the rest of your build.

What else is in your PC? And what was the second GPU you used to test it?

image.png.6b381c732b55237ee40161eb53e9cdff.png
Ram is a corsair ddr4 2 sticks of 8
image.png.52d598569b60679d42d0d65242334046.png

It was a RX 6600 from XFX

potato.

8 hours ago, Marcelo Delicia said:

image.png.6b381c732b55237ee40161eb53e9cdff.png
Ram is a corsair ddr4 2 sticks of 8
image.png.52d598569b60679d42d0d65242334046.png

It was a RX 6600 from XFX

What PSU are you running? How many PCIe cables does it have? How old is it?

You mentioned that your GPU temps were alright but that the issues occur when GPU usage is high.

What about CPU usage/temps, and RAM usage? Where are those during your gaming sessions?

I haven't pulled up a diagram of your MB, but have you confirmed via CPU-Z that you're PC is running at the correct PCIe gen and link speed? 

Barring that, have you tried a different PCIe slot for the GPU?

Salt SYSTEMs:

7 hours ago, NaClKnight said:

You mentioned that your GPU temps were alright but that the issues occur when GPU usage is high.

What about CPU usage/temps, and RAM usage? Where are those during your gaming sessions?

I haven't pulled up a diagram of your MB, but have you confirmed via CPU-Z that you're PC is running at the correct PCIe gen and link speed? 

Corsair TX750M its like a month old its modular and has like 6 i can install

I saw some crashes on low utilization but most were on high such as 99%

Cpu is doing very little It the most recent ryzen 5 stays around 20% and ram was like 60-80% because i usually keep chrome in the background to listen to podcasts or stuff like taht

Its running pcie 3.0 8x right now because of the amd card

The other PCIe slot is 4x i think so not sure that would help. But i have stress tested both gpus in furmark without any crashing.

potato.