Help deciding on a 7/8 port switch

MrMitty

I need a switch so I can provide ethernet to my TV and 2 other computers (for now). I expect to add about 2 to 3 more devices. All of these are highly rated. The TP-Link is the cheapest. I don't know anything about networking but I do know that I don't need a managed switch. Is any one better than the others in terms of quality and reliability? Or just go with the cheapest? 

Netgear GS108

TP-Link TL-SG108

Linksys SE3008

25 minutes ago, MrMitty said:

Is any one better than the others in terms of quality and reliability? Or just go with the cheapest? 

For such purpose, all of those would be enough I think. Both Netgear and Linksys are good of what I heard (never tried those though), but I have few TP-Link devices for years and they don't disappoint me yet fortunately despite they're cheap.

Humor me, as you should do.

Daily drivers, below.

Diccbudd PC

Intel Xeon E3-1225 v2 || ASRock B75M Motherboard || MSI GeForce GTX 1650 Gaming X 4G || Hynix 2x8 GB DDR3 1600 MHz RAM || 480 GB Pioneer APS-SL3 SATA SSD // 1 TB Seagate 2.5" HDD || be quiet! System Power 9 500 W PSU || Cooler Master T20 CPU Cooler || Samsung S19D300 Monitor || Fantech X6 Knight Mouse || VortexSeries VX7 Pro Keyboard

Samsung Galaxy A34 5G

8GB RAM, 256GB Internal Storage, 128GB SanDisk Extreme, and you could find the rest of the specs on the interwebz lol

Lenovo ThinkPad L390 Yoga

Intel Core i5-8365U || 8 + 16 GB DDR4 (don't ask, gf bought me the 16 GB RAM as my birthday present lol) || Samsung 256GB SSD

Personal Server: CasaOS, Home Assistant, ESPHome, Jellyfin.

AMD E-350 || 3GB DDR3 || 120GB random SSD || 1TB Toshiba HDD

Audio

Redmi TV Soundbar || KZ EDX Ultra + KZ APTX Bluetooth Module || JCALLY JM6 CX31933 DAC

1 hour ago, MrMitty said:

I need a switch so I can provide ethernet to my TV and 2 other computers (for now). I expect to add about 2 to 3 more devices. All of these are highly rated. The TP-Link is the cheapest. I don't know anything about networking but I do know that I don't need a managed switch. Is any one better than the others in terms of quality and reliability? Or just go with the cheapest? 

Netgear GS108

TP-Link TL-SG108

Linksys SE3008

They are all fine and will get the job done, though I personally would go for the 4th option (one that isn't listed here) 🙂.
30$ TL-SG108E
https://www.amazon.com/Ethernet-Unmanaged-Shielded-Replacement-TL-SG108E/dp/B00K4DS5KU/
It is still an unmanaged switch but does have some useful features usually found on managed ones, like basic monitoring, VLANs, QoS, link speed setting (10 / 100 / 1000), bandwidth control, etc. via a web interface.
It is easy to setup, just plug and play, but if you want the extra features they are there for you to fiddle with later on.

VGhlIHF1aWV0ZXIgeW91IGJlY29tZSwgdGhlIG1vcmUgeW91IGFyZSBhYmxlIHRvIGhlYXIu

^ not a crypto wallet

My suggestion is to avoid switches with plastic chassis.  I can't tell from the image if the linksys is metal or plastic, the others appear to be metal.   Metal ones "in theory" will last longer as the components are kept cooler.  I had very bad luck with plastic ones in the past, we purchased around 30 for conference rooms and had at least 5 die in the first year.

I don't recall the brand, they were white 8 port gigabit switches (avoid plastic!).

Small unmanaged Gigabit Ethernet switches are commodity items; they're all more or less the same. Pick whichever one's on sale and has enough ports for your needs.

Netgear, Linksys, and TP-Link are all good brands. Personally, I've been using Netgear switches for years.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

I ended up going with Netgear since it is made of metal, the company seems reputable and 85% of people gave it a 5-star review. And of course because of the feedback here.