2 gpus in same system from nvidia and amd

Bhargav V

hi , just building a new system with a ryzen 5700x 

i wanted to have 2 gpus in the system , i already have one  which is an rtx 3060

i am planning to get a radeon rx6400 

i wanted this config so that the rx 6400 could do the less intensive graphics tasks while the rtx 3060 is gaming , 

is this config possible ?? motherboard - b550-f (wifi), ryzen 5700x 

You should be able to have two GPUs and maybe connect the scondary monitor to the rx6400. And maybe you will be able to assign som tasks to each, but I think it will be a lot of hazzle and highly task specific.

Mixing AMD and Nvidia is not a good Idea in general as you might get driver conflicts

The rx 6400 is also a terrible card btw.

If you want me to answer, please use the quote function or tag me. I dont get notified unless you do

28 minutes ago, Tegneren said:

You should be able to have two GPUs and maybe connect the scondary monitor to the rx6400. And maybe you will be able to assign som tasks to each, but I think it will be a lot of hazzle and highly task specific.

Mixing AMD and Nvidia is not a good Idea in general as you might get driver conflicts

The rx 6400 is also a terrible card btw.

what if i dedicate a card to physx then ?? , im kinda new to all this so .... 

You could do that, run the 3060 in the top slot and run the RX 6400 just off the x4 slot from the chipset. 

It's a different question of whether you should do that (you shouldn't). The RX 6400 won't automatically take over for things the 3060 isn't doing, you'd need to have the display plugged into the 6400 for it to do anything, and then there would be performance losses by the fact the 3060 would have to pass through the 6400 to display the image, giving you worse performance than if you didn't have the 6400 in the first place. If you were running 2 monitors there might be an argument to be made, but even then a 2nd display is not that intensive of a thing to cause a noticeable performance impact by doing this. It's just not a good idea, don't do this. 

2 minutes ago, Bhargav V said:

what if i dedicate a card to physx then ?? , im kinda new to all this so .... 

dedicated PhysX cards haven't been relevant for almost a decade, almost no games actually took advantage of it, and besides, that requires an Nvidia card to do. 

There's just no reason to do this. 

Possible? Yes.

But it will end up costing you performance instead of gaining anything. That and to get any benefits from this the less intense monitor would need to be plugged into the rx6400 and the gaming into the 3060. Thr moment you move a window between the displays the gpu needs to pass through one another as its running on the other gpu still which lowers performance.

Also the 6400 has NO hardware accelerated decoding capabilities. So anything it could help with like yt playback, twitch streams,... it cannot do and the cpu has to decode that. This gpu is 3d acceleration only and this is why its such a bad card.

So with the rx6400 there is no way to gain any performance what so ever. Only lose it.

Physx hasnt been used since borderlands 2. Which has been over a decade ago now.

thanks for all the info , now ive changed my mind and wont be buying the rx6400 , is there any other useful pcie card which i could get ??