Replace 5800X or use old 9700K?

Gauzl

Got the predicament of a likely faulty 5800X which won't run with more than 1 stick of RAM, only option I can see is to replace it. However I have a 9700k which works perfectly fine and I may be getting a 4090 or AMD equivalent. Given the age of the 9700k, would it be suitable or a bottleneck in anyway?

We don't know how fast the 4090 or AMD's equivalent is going to be, but given how fast the 3090 was, a 9700K was barely able to keep up with that, so going for a higher end CPU is probably a good idea. That said, you could probably use the 9700K as a hold over till Ryzen 7000X3D chips come out or 13th gen Intel launches, and upgrade your CPU/motherboard at that point.

13 minutes ago, Gauzl said:

Got the predicament of a likely faulty 5800X which won't run with more than 1 stick of RAM, only option I can see is to replace it. However I have a 9800k which works perfectly fine and I may be getting a 4090 or AMD equivalent. Given the age of the 9700k, would it be suitable or a bottleneck in anyway?

Definitely newer ryzen 

Amd Ryzen 5 5600 Zen 3 OC 4.6Ghz 

RTX 3070 gaming gigabyte 

32GB patriot 3600 MHz 

Casual gamer since dune 2 and wolf 3d and dukem nukem 3d

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/apokhallipsa/saved/j4rn23

I mean you already have the 9700k.....you lose nothing by just using it

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

Spray the back of the 5800x with some 99% IPA and wait an hour to dry and see if that fixes your ram issue, could also be a mobo issue too (which it usually is a mobo issue), tested with another cpu yet?

31 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Spray the back of the 5800x with some 99% IPA and wait an hour to dry and see if that fixes your ram issue, could also be a mobo issue too (which it usually is a mobo issue), tested with another cpu yet?

I'll try doing that. Definitely the CPU as I just slot in my friends 3600X and it works with 4x8GB RAM.

4 hours ago, Gauzl said:

Got the predicament of a likely faulty 5800X which won't run with more than 1 stick of RAM, only option I can see is to replace it. However I have a 9800k which works perfectly fine and I may be getting a 4090 or AMD equivalent. Given the age of the 9700k, would it be suitable or a bottleneck in anyway?

Check the am4 slot if there isn't any dust or blockage on pins maybe and try follow traces on mobo or swap for another CPU for testing and dirt on cpu pins

Amd Ryzen 5 5600 Zen 3 OC 4.6Ghz 

RTX 3070 gaming gigabyte 

32GB patriot 3600 MHz 

Casual gamer since dune 2 and wolf 3d and dukem nukem 3d

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/apokhallipsa/saved/j4rn23