First Backup Storage Server

Hello there,

I would like to have my first backup storage Server with SSD Drivers from Samsung. ( Do i need to use SSDs or are Raid configurated HDD fast enough for a 4k Video Playback and Live Recording of 4k 120 hz on the Storage Server ? )

I would like to have enough Storage To Backup all my Existing External HDD, so i can get rid of the current Clutter of 4 TB HDD Drives ( 12 TB ) .

I would like to build a Storage Server with 24 TB Storage with 2 Parity Drives. ( How many Drives would be optimal number of Drives for this Configuration )

The Question I have is not What Drives to use. I am more confused in what CPU/Mainboard Platform to use. If there is a easy way to get a Cheap Platform where i can Plug in Sata SSDs in an expand in the Future.

Can i maybe also use Consumer Grade Boards like X570 with a Ryzen 5 5xxx CPU?

I am a little Worried about the number of PCI Lanes not being enough, is that a legit worry?

Are there Cheap PCI E 4.0 Epyc or Xeon Servers I could buy online on ebay and upgrade its drive maybe?

Is it possible to cram so many Drives into a normal Tower or do i need to get a Rack?

Sorry for that, i know a lot about PC hardware but its my first time going into these Server Grade Stuff. 

If you need more information to help please ask away. I have enough time and its not time Critical. 

Thanks 

1 hour ago, Namamiri said:

I would like to have my first backup storage Server with SSD Drivers from Samsung. ( Do i need to use SSDs or are Raid configurated HDD fast enough for a 4k Video Playback and Live Recording of 4k 120 hz on the Storage Server ? )

What bitrate is your footage?

Do you have a buget here?

I would like to build a Storage Server with 24 TB Storage with 2 Parity Drives. ( How many Drives would be optimal number of Drives for this Configuration )

Id probably go with 8tb sata ssds, like the 870 QVO. Yea its QLC, but with 8tb drives and a big raid array write performance and endurance won't be a issue. If I was using ZFS Id probalby go with 4 drive raid z1. Then you get 24tb usage and 1 drive of parity. If you need more space, add anouther 4 drives.

The Question I have is not What Drives to use. I am more confused in what CPU/Mainboard Platform to use. If there is a easy way to get a Cheap Platform where i can Plug in Sata SSDs in an expand in the Future.

Id probably go with this board if it was me. https://www.asrockrack.com/general/productdetail.asp?Model=X570D4U#Specifications

Put a ryzen cpu in and a bit of ecc, has ipmi for remote management + a iGPU included. And there are models with 10gbe if you want 10g-baset. use the m.2 ssds for boot.

For storing the drives, Id get a few of these. https://www.newegg.com/icy-dock-mb324sp-b/p/N82E16817994181?Description=2.5" 5.25"&cm_re=2.5"_5.25"-_-17-994-181-_-Product&quicklink=true

Then get a case with a good amount of 5.25 bays, and you can easily get a few dozen 2.5 in bays into a normal desktop case. Then get some sas hba cards to connect it to the board.

What bitrate is your footage?

I would Love to get as raw as possible footage to work with it in later editing.

Currently i use OBS Indistiguishable Quality Recording Quality and am Encoding it in NVENC H.264 with my Nvidia GPU.

I also Checked the Lossless Recording Function and it reached around 500 MByte/s Datarate in the Recording. If i encode it its like 1/10 of this Rate so a 50MByte/s i would currently use but would be nice to have the possibility to record losslessly. 

59 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Do you have a buget here?

I did not think about a budget but around 1000€ without the storage cost included would be nice. ( Storage i will chose after i know more about if i will go for 24 Gigs or maybe directly with 48 Gigs ) If i can go with HDD with the Datarate of 500 MBytes/s the costs will naturally go down for storage.

1 hour ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Id probably go with 8tb sata ssds, like the 870 QVO. Yea its QLC, but with 8tb drives and a big raid array write performance and endurance won't be a issue. If I was using ZFS Id probalby go with 4 drive raid z1. Then you get 24tb usage and 1 drive of parity. If you need more space, add anouther 4 drives.

How would the Speed Scale with this setup if each drive has a 560 MB/s read and 530MB/s write. Would a Cache M.2 SSD help here ?

1 hour ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Oh this Cage is really cool. I will need to check if i can get it in germany. Thanks for this link i did not know that something like that exists.

Ah forget the thing i said about the HDD, they will not be able to keep up with the speeds i need

2 minutes ago, Namamiri said:

I would Love to get as raw as possible footage to work with it in later editing.

Currently i use OBS Indistiguishable Quality Recording Quality and am Encoding it in NVENC H.264 with my Nvidia GPU.

I also Checked the Lossless Recording Function and it reached around 500 MByte/s Datarate in the Recording. If i encode it its like 1/10 of this Rate so a 50MByte/s i would currently use but would be nice to have the possibility to record losslessly. 

Id personally skip losless. The visual difference between losless and very high quality lossy is very small, and not worth the hugely bigger file sizes. Basically all camera, even cinema cameras shot lossy raw footage, losless almost never makes sense for video.

3 minutes ago, Namamiri said:

I did not think about a budget but around 1000€ without the storage cost included would be nice. ( Storage i will chose after i know more about if i will go for 24 Gigs or maybe directly with 48 Gigs ) If i can go with HDD with the Datarate of 500 MBytes/s the costs will naturally go down for storage.

A larger hdd array should be able to deal with very high bitrate footage, and will likey be limited by 10gbe before your limited by your disks for video playback and recording.

4 minutes ago, Namamiri said:

How would the Speed Scale with this setup if each drive has a 560 MB/s read and 530MB/s write. Would a Cache M.2 SSD help here ?

Probably get like 1.5gB/s read and a bit less write speeds. Unless you have more than 10gbe anything faster than 1gB/s will be plenty here.

Cache drive probably won't help here as its mostly large sequentical files, and a cache ssd wouldn't be much faster(you normally want the cache drive to be a faster tier of storage, like a optane drive, but that won't be needed here).

3 minutes ago, Namamiri said:

Ah forget the thing i said about the HDD, they will not be able to keep up with the speeds i need

Id guess something like a 8x16tb raid6 could fill your needs here, esp if your willing to do very high quality lossy footage.

9 hours ago, Namamiri said:

If this is for backup then why do you need high performance and why would you be accessing and editing directly off it? If you are actively using it then it's not a backup storage server.

Just to clear it up for me you are only wanting to build a single storage server right and move all your data there?

9 hours ago, Namamiri said:

Is it possible to cram so many Drives into a normal Tower or do i need to get a Rack?

Cabling is the biggest issue when it comes to rack vs tower. If you need a lot of storage devices then you need a lot of cables and that gets problematic quite quickly. Tucking away SATA SSDs is quite easy in a tower case even without proper mounts for them, it really doesn't matter to be honest. For HDDs on the other hand it does matter a lot.

If you go with SSDs then RAID 5 is fine, HDDs then RAID 6.

As for everything else @Electronics WizardyI think has you covered already.

On 10/1/2022 at 11:49 AM, Namamiri said:

Hello there,

I would like to have enough Storage To Backup all my Existing External HDD, so i can get rid of the current Clutter of 4 TB HDD Drives ( 12 TB ) .

Can i maybe also use Consumer Grade Boards like X570 with a Ryzen 5 5xxx CPU?

I am a little Worried about the number of PCI Lanes not being enough, is that a legit worry?

Are there Cheap PCI E 4.0 Epyc or Xeon Servers I could buy online on ebay and upgrade its drive maybe?

Sorry for that, i know a lot about PC hardware but its my first time going into these Server Grade Stuff. 

If you need more information to help please ask away. I have enough time and its not time Critical. 

Thanks 

Invest in SSD’s on the local machine, and use harddrives on the backup server.

What are you worried about PCIe lanes for? You may use 1, maybe 2 at most….

You can fit as many drives as fit in a case. My Corsair case I use for my server holds 11 harddrives in it no problem at all.

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air