MSI VS ASUS

Go to solution Solved by RONOTHAN##,
1 minute ago, TheRevanite said:

Id like to have the z790 for semi future proofing but its not mandatory.

That's not really a thing. LGA 1700 is dead after this socket, so going for a newer chipset doesn't mean it will be supported for longer, and the only real difference between the Z690 chipset and Z790 is an extra USB 3 20Gb port and a couple more PCIe lanes from the chipset, and finding a use for those extra PCIe lanes, especially on a high end board like you want, is not exactly practical. 

9 minutes ago, TheRevanite said:

but tbh I'm not doing anything fancy like over clocking etc. 

If you aren't doing any overclocking I'd have a hard time recommending a board over ~$300 unless there's a feature you need that's only present on a board above that. The Z690 Master is on sale for $300 at the moment and would be a very good option (it's not great with high speed memory though, but if you aren't gonna be overclocking running anything over 6000MT/s is pretty irrelevant), Z690 Carbon is about as many features as you need on a motherboard for $350 (it's not gold but it's got RGB so that's close enough), Z690 Force is the same as the carbon but white instead of black, as well as a bunch of cheaper boards that do just as well. If you want best of the best, get the Dark, but it's a very hard board to justify if you aren't planning on running something like 8400MT/s CL36 for memory speeds and over 6GHz on the P cores. 

Hello everyone! 

I'm gong with 13th gen I9 but i cant decide which moba to get. I'm doing an all black and gold, full water cooler computer and MSI has the colors down. I've always used Asus but other than a few Msi here and there. I'm looking at the Msi MEG Z790 ACE and for Asus rog maximus z790 extreme.  with Msi id get the meg psu as well. Asus would be the Thor II

I'm torn because i really like that Msi has the colors exactly how I want but Asus is just what im used too. any in put would be great! 

with Msi id get the meg psu as well. Asus would be the Thor II

What does what motherboard you're getting have to do with what PSU you'd get? 

I've used all the major board manufacturers, they all are relatively equal, each of them have good boards (favorite motherboard on AM4 personally is the Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master) and they all have bad boards (my least favorite board I've ever used is a Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3P), it's generally down to board to board variance. If this is strictly down to the looks of the board, you seem to prefer the look of the Ace, so get the Ace, I'm sure it'll be a perfectly good motherboard. If it's not strictly down to looks, neither of those boards actually make sense (the Ace kinda does since it's one of the cheapest ATX boards with Thunderbolt display passthrough, but if you don't need that it doesn't make sense). If you want to be overclocking (the primary reason people justify spending almost 4 figures on a motherboard), the Z690 Unify-X, Z690 Dark, Z690 Tachyon, and Z690 Apex exist, both boards (even though they're using the last gen chipset) are going to be significantly better for overclocking thanks to their 1 DIMM per channel topology, plus they will all be refreshed in the near future (Z690 Dark might be the better fit thanks to it matching your black and gold color scheme). If you're just gonna be running these boards at stock, they're super expensive for what they offer, boards like the Z790 Taichi and Z790 Carbon exist with near identical feature sets for literally half the price. 

3 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

What does what motherboard you're getting have to do with what PSU you'd get? 

I've used all the major board manufacturers, they all are relatively equal, each of them have good boards (favorite motherboard on AM4 personally is the Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master) and they all have bad boards (my least favorite board I've ever used is a Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3P), it's generally down to board to board variance. If this is strictly down to the looks of the board, you seem to prefer the look of the Ace, so get the Ace, I'm sure it'll be a perfectly good motherboard. If it's not strictly down to looks, neither of those boards actually make sense (the Ace kinda does since it's one of the cheapest ATX boards with Thunderbolt display passthrough, but if you don't need that it doesn't make sense). If you want to be overclocking (the primary reason people justify spending almost 4 figures on a motherboard), the Z690 Unify-X, Z690 Dark, Z690 Tachyon, and Z690 Apex exist, both boards (even though they're using the last gen chipset) are going to be significantly better for overclocking thanks to their 1 DIMM per channel topology, plus they will all be refreshed in the near future (Z690 Dark might be the better fit thanks to it matching your black and gold color scheme). If you're just gonna be running these boards at stock, they're super expensive for what they offer, boards like the Z790 Taichi and Z790 Carbon exist with near identical feature sets for literally half the price. 

The meg psu has the same colors as the ace moba, but tbh I'm not doing anything fancy like over clocking etc.  I have a Samsung g8 monitor rn so the usb c pass doesn't mean anything to me. I do plan to wait it out and get a 4090 or even the Ti version. Ill def look at the Z690 Dark too, Id like to have the z790 for semi future proofing but its not mandatory. I'm doing a full loop build that I wont be changing for a long while, so wanted to get higher end stuff but not spend 4 figs on just the moba haha Thanks! I appreciate the information

7 minutes ago, TheRevanite said:

The meg psu has the same colors as the ace moba, but tbh I'm not doing anything fancy like over clocking etc.  I have a Samsung g8 monitor rn so the usb c pass doesn't mean anything to me. I do plan to wait it out and get a 4090 or even the Ti version. Ill def look at the Z690 Dark too, Id like to have the z790 for semi future proofing but its not mandatory. I'm doing a full loop build that I wont be changing for a long while, so wanted to get higher end stuff but not spend 4 figs on just the moba haha Thanks! I appreciate the information

z790 isn't future proof. The socket is the end of the line for LGA 1700. For future proof, you want AMD AM5

CPU-AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D GPU- RTX 4070 SUPER FE MOBO-ASUS ROG Strix B650E-E Gaming Wifi RAM-32gb G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo DDR5 6000cl30 STORAGE-2x1TB Seagate Firecuda 530 PCIE4 NVME PSU-Corsair RM1000x Shift COOLING-EK-AIO 360mm with 3x Lian Li P28 + 4 Lian Li TL120 (Intake) CASE-Phanteks NV5 MONITORS-ASUS ROG Strix XG27AQ 1440p 170hz+Gigabyte G24F 1080p 180hz PERIPHERALS-Lamzu Maya+ 4k Dongle+LGG Saturn Pro Mousepad+Nk65 Watermelon (Tangerine Switches)+Autonomous ErgoChair+ AUDIO-RODE NTH-100+Schiit Magni Heresy+Motu M2 Interface

7 minutes ago, CHICKSLAYA said:

z790 isn't future proof. The socket is the end of the line for LGA 1700. For future proof, you want AMD AM5

True, I'm not against going AMD either. intel has just been my main use for a long while. I've built many AMD systems for others and even work.  guess ill wait till more info is out with both specs. Thanks! 

Id like to have the z790 for semi future proofing but its not mandatory.

That's not really a thing. LGA 1700 is dead after this socket, so going for a newer chipset doesn't mean it will be supported for longer, and the only real difference between the Z690 chipset and Z790 is an extra USB 3 20Gb port and a couple more PCIe lanes from the chipset, and finding a use for those extra PCIe lanes, especially on a high end board like you want, is not exactly practical. 

9 minutes ago, TheRevanite said:

but tbh I'm not doing anything fancy like over clocking etc. 

If you aren't doing any overclocking I'd have a hard time recommending a board over ~$300 unless there's a feature you need that's only present on a board above that. The Z690 Master is on sale for $300 at the moment and would be a very good option (it's not great with high speed memory though, but if you aren't gonna be overclocking running anything over 6000MT/s is pretty irrelevant), Z690 Carbon is about as many features as you need on a motherboard for $350 (it's not gold but it's got RGB so that's close enough), Z690 Force is the same as the carbon but white instead of black, as well as a bunch of cheaper boards that do just as well. If you want best of the best, get the Dark, but it's a very hard board to justify if you aren't planning on running something like 8400MT/s CL36 for memory speeds and over 6GHz on the P cores. 

55 minutes ago, TheRevanite said:

Hello everyone! 

I'm gong with 13th gen I9 but i cant decide which moba to get. I'm doing an all black and gold, full water cooler computer and MSI has the colors down. I've always used Asus but other than a few Msi here and there. I'm looking at the Msi MEG Z790 ACE and for Asus rog maximus z790 extreme.  with Msi id get the meg psu as well. Asus would be the Thor II

I'm torn because i really like that Msi has the colors exactly how I want but Asus is just what im used too. any in put would be great! 

get asus ones, they do records on overclocking unlike msi

7 minutes ago, bal723 said:

I don't care about over clocking but noted, thanks! 

Just now, TheRevanite said:

I don't care about over clocking but noted, thanks! 

also they got better quality and design

9 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

The dark seems like my option if I go intel, thank you! 

18 minutes ago, bal723 said:

No. 

Just. No. 

They both do overclocking records. MSI was the first one to break a 10MT/s validation on memory, currently in 2nd place for that, they're in 2nd place for a 12900KS frequency validation, and they're in the top 10 for all other scores on 12th gen Intel. 

Besides, the boards being talked about are not ones that are used for records. If MSI wants to go for some overclocking records, they'll use either the Godlike or the Unify X, they won't use the Ace, and if Asus wants to go for a record they'll use the Apex, not the Extreme. 

9 minutes ago, bal723 said:

also they got better quality and design

Again, no. ASUS if anything has had a string of pretty rough quality assurance as of recent with the Z690 Hero catching fire because they soldered a capacitor on backwards (something that should have never happened with all the safe guards that should be in place) and the Z690 Apex having wild variations from one board to the next (some boards struggle to do 6400MT/s, while others can do well over 7000MT/s with ease). That was somewhat true back in DDR3 and earlier, but hasn't really been true since at least Coffee Lake. They're on par with everyone else. 

18 hours ago, RONOTHAN## said:

No. 

Just. No. 

They both do overclocking records. MSI was the first one to break a 10MT/s validation on memory, currently in 2nd place for that, they're in 2nd place for a 12900KS frequency validation, and they're in the top 10 for all other scores on 12th gen Intel. 

Besides, the boards being talked about are not ones that are used for records. If MSI wants to go for some overclocking records, they'll use either the Godlike or the Unify X, they won't use the Ace, and if Asus wants to go for a record they'll use the Apex, not the Extreme. 

Again, no. ASUS if anything has had a string of pretty rough quality assurance as of recent with the Z690 Hero catching fire because they soldered a capacitor on backwards (something that should have never happened with all the safe guards that should be in place) and the Z690 Apex having wild variations from one board to the next (some boards struggle to do 6400MT/s, while others can do well over 7000MT/s with ease). That was somewhat true back in DDR3 and earlier, but hasn't really been true since at least Coffee Lake. They're on par with everyone else. 

thats the reason why u wouldn't put msi