Should I avoid buying this PS Vita?

iSynthMan

It's the first model, the seller sent some photos and the screen has this weird orange mark on it, from what research I did online it seems like it's caused by overheating while charging, is that true?

image.jpeg.f853182f1ff0f18728edb677daf5a1d0.jpeg

He sent some pics of the screen turned on and It to me it looks like burn-in, maybe? look at the orange marks in the top menu bar and bottom:

image.thumb.jpeg.95e79a557a63cc1ffcbb57a79fadf8c4.jpeg

Should I pass on this? The system looks good and he's not asking a lot.

The first generation was oled so it's probably burn in/out. I would be more concerned with the battery. No way a 10 year old unit will hold a charge. They are not hard to replace but the problem is the replacements themselves are old too so they won't last long either. I replaced mine not that long ago and the new one is dying too. 

1 minute ago, dilpickle said:

The first generation was oled so it's probably burn in/out. I would be more concerned with the battery. No way a 10 year old unit will hold a charge. They are not hard to replace but the problem is the replacements themselves are old too so they won't last long either. I replaced mine not that long ago and the new one is dying too. 

How serious does the burn in problem look to you? It's not randomly gonna crap out on me a couple days later? Are these hard\expensive to replace?

Based on those pictures I would say it doesn't look too bad. Who can say how long it will last? If you think the screen will need replacement right away why not just go with another unit.

Honestly, I would pass on this.

I have the exact same model, lost count how old it is. I am playing on it at least 3-4 times a week and there are no such bars on the screen. There are no burn-ins either. Well maybe there are but you will have to check them with blue screen full screen image.

I don't think those are burn ins tho. It looks like the screen was damaged at some point. You can find a chinese replacement if you are up for an adventure. There are tons on aliexpress. But keep in mind the vita is not as easy to disassemble as the PSP. You can always find something else broken inside once you go that route.

Here is a picture of mine no bars of course. My favorite handheld. Surprisingly battery life is still pretty decent.

image.thumb.png.d8234b316165a612cf76dbbefcdd9c9e.png

Yeah personally I wouldn't, unless you're getting it at a super low price?
I just got the second model from a friend and currently waiting for my copy of metal gear solid 2&3 to arrive 😁

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry for a reply almost a month later, but I absolutely would 1000 percent would steer clear of that vita. Unless you are getting it for really cheap, I would recommend getting one from a credible seller. I still have my crystal one from 2014, and it still holds a good charge, and runs games like day one of owning it. And trust me, I beat the shit out of it as a kid, so I don’t know how they got that burn in. And if it has that, then it probably has lots of other issues that the seller either hasn’t noticed, or hasn’t listed. 

TL;DR either get one off Amazon from a credible seller, or pick one up in person at a brick and mortar store.