Ultrawide curved monitors & productivity

Nataska

Hi there folks!

I'm in the market looking to upgrade my monitor game. I've been running two Dell S2716DG 27" Gsync monitors for a few years now, and they've been great! But I'm hoping to get into the ultrawide game for a few reasons:

1. I'd really like to dive into immersion with some of the games I've been playing. Right now with the extra monitor I just feel like I have so much wasted space on the monitor I'm *not* using for gaming, and i've been using the second monitor for extra content while gaming less and less over the last few years, since it tends to be super distracting

2. I also don't want to cut down to a single monitor because I really like that extra space for productivity, and it feels like an ultrawide (as far as I can tell) would solve this problem for me because I could use two input sources and split them up (?)
3. I'd also really like to begin utilizing HDR (this isnt specific to ultrawide just a thing I'd love to tinker in)

My concern:

I'm a software developer who works from home, meaning my gaming machine is also my work machine. I tend to like having about 3 separate windows for my work setup:
1 monitor dedicated full screen to my IDE
1 monitor split between chrome and slack (using Windows tiling)

I'd love to know what peoples' experience has been with ultrawides on a workstation. Pros/Cons/ Things to consider, etc.

For reference, the monitor i'm thinking of grabbing is the Samsung Neo G9 (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B096YNP6ZR/?coliid=I904MX1VFDKQH&colid=V6MTC61D3XEV&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it)

The games I'm currently playing:
Destiny 2
Stellaris
Cult of the Lamb
Halo: Infinite

Thanks all!

23 minutes ago, Nataska said:

Hi there folks!

I'm in the market looking to upgrade my monitor game. I've been running two Dell S2716DG 27" Gsync monitors for a few years now, and they've been great! But I'm hoping to get into the ultrawide game for a few reasons:

1. I'd really like to dive into immersion with some of the games I've been playing. Right now with the extra monitor I just feel like I have so much wasted space on the monitor I'm *not* using for gaming, and i've been using the second monitor for extra content while gaming less and less over the last few years, since it tends to be super distracting

2. I also don't want to cut down to a single monitor because I really like that extra space for productivity, and it feels like an ultrawide (as far as I can tell) would solve this problem for me because I could use two input sources and split them up (?)
3. I'd also really like to begin utilizing HDR (this isnt specific to ultrawide just a thing I'd love to tinker in)

My concern:

I'm a software developer who works from home, meaning my gaming machine is also my work machine. I tend to like having about 3 separate windows for my work setup:

I'd love to know what peoples' experience has been with ultrawides on a workstation. Pros/Cons/ Things to consider, etc.

For reference, the monitor i'm thinking of grabbing is the Samsung Neo G9 (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B096YNP6ZR/?coliid=I904MX1VFDKQH&colid=V6MTC61D3XEV&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it)

Destiny 2
Stellaris
Cult of the Lamb

Thanks all!

I have the G9 Neo and 2 24's stacked on top.  No issues with productivity, it's a fantastic monitor.

Desktop: Intel i7-13700K / Asus ROG Strix  z690-e / Nvidia 4080 FE / 32GB DDR5 Corsair Dominator / 2TB  WD SN850x  / 48" Lg C2 & 27" Asus ProArt

Plex Server: Dell OptiPlex 7010 /  i7-13700 /  32GB DDR5 / 1TB Samsung  990 Pro / Ubuntu

Laptop: M2 Macbook Air / 8G ram / 8core CPU / 10core GPU / 512GB SSD

NAS: Synology 1821+ , 2x Synology RS819 = 200TB 

7 minutes ago, MonkeyBomb said:

I have the G9 Neo and 2 24's stacked on top.  No issues with productivity, it's a fantastic monitor.

That's great to hear, thank you!

What do you use to manage windows on the G9? I've heard a lot about  FancyZones?

1 minute ago, Nataska said:

That's great to hear, thank you!

What do you use to manage windows on the G9? I've heard a lot about  FancyZones?

Just make sure to update to the latest firmware, it resolves a lot of the issues. (the update process can be frustrating)

I don't use anything (I really should) but a friend with the original G9 uses Fancyzones and highly recommends it.

Desktop: Intel i7-13700K / Asus ROG Strix  z690-e / Nvidia 4080 FE / 32GB DDR5 Corsair Dominator / 2TB  WD SN850x  / 48" Lg C2 & 27" Asus ProArt

Plex Server: Dell OptiPlex 7010 /  i7-13700 /  32GB DDR5 / 1TB Samsung  990 Pro / Ubuntu

Laptop: M2 Macbook Air / 8G ram / 8core CPU / 10core GPU / 512GB SSD

NAS: Synology 1821+ , 2x Synology RS819 = 200TB 

I'd say also look at 40"+ 16:9 displays. Something like the LG C2 OLED will deliver uncontested picture quality. The 42" Gigabyte FV43U or the 43" Samsung QN90B could also be good options if you're concerned about burn-in.

I switched from 21:9 ultrawide to a 42" LG C2 and it's better in every way. Getting just a bigger screen will do more for immersion than an ultrawide.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

22 minutes ago, Stahlmann said:

I'd say also look at 40"+ 16:9 displays. Something like the LG C2 OLED will deliver uncontested picture quality. The 42" Gigabyte FV43U or the 43" Samsung QN90B could also be good options if you're concerned about burn-in.

I switched from 21:9 ultrawide to a 42" LG C2 and it's better in every way. Getting just a bigger screen will do more for immersion than an ultrawide.

I had considered this, especially after LInus's recent video regarding upgrading his setup from the LG C2, but have similar concerns with respect to using a TV and had been debating waiting for the Rog Swift he upgraded to

Can you elaborate more on why bigger screen is better than ultrawide? I had also been considering this.

36 minutes ago, Nataska said:

I had considered this, especially after LInus's recent video regarding upgrading his setup from the LG C2, but have similar concerns with respect to using a TV and had been debating waiting for the Rog Swift he upgraded to

I wouldn't go for the Asus. It's worse in practically any way than the LG C2. Keep in mind that Linus' video about it was sponsored by Asus, so it was basically an advertisement. When looking at the measured data at the end of the video and comparing it to reviews of the C2 it's not even a contest. Plus the matte coating destroys OLED's ability to display deep blacks.

36 minutes ago, Nataska said:

Can you elaborate more on why bigger screen is better than ultrawide? I had also been considering this.

The whole argument with ultrawide and immersion is because it fills more of your fov. A big 16:9 screen will fill out even more of your fov.

This is what human fov looks like, you tell me if 21:9 or 16:9 comes closer to it:

image.png.410622721d2aa774c5169b203cf24a29.png

image.png

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

6 hours ago, Stahlmann said:

i have a question

can you run the rtx 2080 super with the lg c2 oled 

because its hdmi 2.1 and has no dp

must have an rtx 3080 atleast is that correct?

11 minutes ago, rotexen said:

i have a question

can you run the rtx 2080 super with the lg c2 oled 

because its hdmi 2.1 and has no dp

must have an rtx 3080 atleast is that correct?

If you want 4K 120Hz then you'll need a Nvidia 3000 or AMD 6000 GPU. Everything older can only do 4K 60Hz or 1440p 120Hz.

@StahlmannHit the nail on the head.  I've been saying that for a while.  FOV / aspect-ratio of the human eye is most closely matched by 16:9  (out of all the major aspect ratios).  Human eye is about 1.8:1.

So unless you need FOV visibility on non-display items for your productivity (eg. book, TV in background, etc) it makes the most sense--productivity wise--to maximize your FOV at your desktop with display screen real estate.  And that's why a 40"+ 16:9 is ideal.

For me (40", 16:9), I can easily put 2 browser windows side by side and still have room left on the sides to see a row of icons or whatnot.  FPS gaming is far more immersive as it fills my entire FOV, not just the horizontal.  Other games I can window to 90% or something and leave just a strip on the left side where I can see the desktop.  I find the vertical space quite handy, as tiled browser windows would previously "hit bottom" and start stacking from the top again.  With the extra vertical space, I can keep them staircased neatly without issue. 

On 9/27/2022 at 5:39 AM, Nataska said:

Hi there folks!

My concern:

Destiny 2
Stellaris
Cult of the Lamb

Thanks all!

Actually in my opinion Super Ultrawide is suite you based on your description productivity and also gaming. The PBP is very great when you need to use for 2 device input where each will have 27" 16:9 aspect ratio wide, but they is limitation when using PBP / PIP mode, this include maximum 120hz only, no HDR and less control of monitor settings changes, it only came with basic control like brightness, contrast and color changes.

Normally newer games do support 32:9 but games from console or Microsoft basically is fixed to it own aspect ratio and cannot change. You need to accept certain games will be left and right black bar and half screen divide to left and right is black only if the games is in 16:9 aspect ratio. As for movie playback, they is forever black bar in left and right as they is no 32:9 aspect ratio movie.

I am the owner of Neo G9 and never regret using it, it is real immersive compare with Ultrawide. Off course some will said wide 16:9 will be immersive when screen is big and that is truth when the screen is curved. For flat screen, I totally can't feel the immersive normatter how big the screen are where I was use up to 55". They is no immersive in Flat screen as flat cannot make you feel the object is flowing from left and right to center of the screen.

Beside this, human FOV is not an issue in this 49" Super Ultrawide monitor as it is around size of 55" cut into half horizontally with curve that in human eye view distance. The human FOV will only be issue if the 32:9 aspect ratio screen size is way too big and out from human capable view of FOV.

Lastly please make sure you manage to get latest production badge as earlier badge this monitor had QC issue, and buy yourself a true DP 1.4 cable as the cable bundle by Samsung is very crappy where mine immediate half faulty after switch to 240hz which display garbage distortion from time to time and it is behave like that even later I try use in 27" 1440p 144hz monitor.

Also take noted 240hz only support in DP and not the HDMI even though the HDMI is version 2.1 which had more bandwidth than DP 1.4 but Samsung blocked it and support up to 120hz only for unknown reason where Samsung never mentioned and last firmware release was 31 March 2022 and it is still same. Firmware update to latest is a must as this latest ver 1011.0 firmware only manage fixed all the HDR issue and even my badge was April 2022 but they is still not in latest firmware out of the box.

Another reason I love longer screen as it make the windows not crowded and also easier to fit applicaion I want.

Below is the exact screenshot size of this monitor in 100% scale.

spacer.png

spacer.png

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X, Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 OC 24G, X570 AORUS Elite WIFI Motherboard, HyperX FURY 32GB DDR4-3200 RGB RAM, Creative Sound Blaster AE-9 Sound Card, Samsung 970 Evo Plus M.2 SATA 500GB, ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro M.2 SATA 2TB, Asus HyperX Fury RGB SSD 960GB, Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM 3.5 HDD 2TB, Cooler Master MASTERLIQUID ML240R ARGB, Cooler Master MASTERFAN MF120R ARGB, Cooler Master ELV8 Graphics Card Holder ARGB, Asus ROG Strix 1000G PSU, Lian Li LANCOOL II MESH RGB Case, Windows 11 Pro (22H2).

Laptop: Asus Vivobook "A Bathing Ape" - ASUS Vivobook S 15 OLED BAPE Edition: Intel i9-13900H, 16 GB RAM, 15.6" 2.8K 120hz OLED | Apple MacBook Pro 14" 2023: M2 Pro, 16 GB RAM, NVMe 512 GB | Asus VivoBook 15 OLED: Intel® Core™ i3-1125G4, Intel UHD, 8 GB RAM, Micron NVMe 512 GB | Illegear Z5 SKYLAKE: Intel Core i7-6700HQ, Nvidia Geforce GTX 970M, 16 GB RAM, ADATA SU800 M.2 SATA 512GB.

Monitor: Samsung Odyssey OLED G9 49" 5120x1440 240hz QD-OLED HDR, LG OLED Flex 42LX3QPSA 41.5" 3840x2160 bendable 120hz WOLED, AOC 24G2SP 24" 1920x1080 165hz SDR, LG UltraGear Gaming Monitor 34" 34GN850 3440x1440 144hz (160hz OC) NanoIPS HDR, LG Ultrawide Gaming Monitor 34" 34UC79G 2560x1080 144hz IPS SDR, LG 24MK600 24" 1920x1080 75hz Freesync IPS SDR, BenQ EW2440ZH 24" 1920x1080 75hz VA SDR.

Input Device: Asus ROG Azoth Wireless Mechanical KeyboardAsus ROG Chakram X Origin Wireless MouseLogitech G913 Lightspeed Wireless RGB Mechanical Gaming Keyboard, Logitech G502X Wireless Mouse, Logitech G903 Lightspeed HERO Wireless Gaming Mouse, Logitech Pro X, Logitech MX Keys, Logitech MX Master 3, XBOX Wireless Controller Covert Forces Edition, Corsair K70 RAPIDFIRE Mechanical Gaming Keyboard, Corsair Dark Core RGB Pro SE Wireless Gaming Mouse, Logitech MK850 Wireless Keyboard & Mouse Combos.

Entertainment: LG 55" C9 OLED HDR Smart UHD TV with AI ThinQ®, 65" Samsung AU7000 4K UHD Smart TV, SONOS Beam (Gen 2) Dolby Atmos Soundbar, SONOS Sub Mini, SONOS Era 100 x2, SONOS Era 300 Dolby Atmos, Logitech G560 2.1 USB & Bluetooth Speaker, Logitech Z625 2.1 THX Speaker, Edifier M1370BT 2.1 Bluetooth Speaker, LG SK9Y 5.1.2 channel Dolby Atmos, Hi-Res Audio SoundBar, Sony MDR-Z1R, Bang & Olufsen Beoplay EX, Sony WF-1000XM5, Sony WH-1000XM5, Sony WH-1000XM4, Apple AirPods Pro, Samsung Galaxy Buds2, Nvidia Shield TV Pro (2019 edition), Apple TV 4K (2017 & 2021 Edition), Chromecast with Google TV, Sony UBP-X700 UltraHD Blu-ray, Panasonic DMP-UB400 UltraHD Blu-ray.

Mobile & Smart Watch: Apple iPhone 15 Pro Max (Natural Titanium), Apple Watch Series 8 Stainless Steel with Milanese Loop (Graphite).

Others Gadgets: Asus SBW-06D2X-U Blu-ray RW Drive, 70 TB Ext. HDD, j5create JVCU100 USB HD Webcam with 360° rotation, ZTE UONU F620, Maxis Fibre WiFi 6 Router, Fantech MPR800 Soft Cloth RGB Gaming Mousepad, Fantech Headset Headphone Stand AC3001S RGB Lighting Base Tower, Infiniteracer RGB Gaming Chair

Consider a large 4K TV. If you want the ultra-wide experience you can disable half the pixels for the ultra wide experience.

55" LG C1(excellent colors and contrast), Samsung QN90a (mini-LED backlit LCD, no burn in, gets brighter, but it's an LCD). These are both $500ish cheaper, about as wide, twice as tall. Only real downside is that they don't do auto-off quite as seamlessly as a regular monitor. They do support ARC though, which is nice.  Get screen mapping software for splitting it.

As an FYI my last screen was a 35" ultrawide (so 33% wider than a 27") @ 3440x1440. The 4K TV I'm using now outclasses it in most ways. I also never bother disabling pixels for ultra-wide even though the TV offers a built in mode.

On 9/27/2022 at 6:42 AM, Stahlmann said:

If you want 4K 120Hz then you'll need a Nvidia 3000 or AMD 6000 GPU. Everything older can only do 4K 60Hz or 1440p 120Hz.

You can get Chroma Subsampling going for 4K 120Hz. It's what I do on my 2080 + 4K 120Hz TV.

On 9/27/2022 at 12:19 AM, Nataska said:

Lower price, more pixels/screen overall and if you want the ultra-wide stuff it's always an option just by choosing a different screen res.

On 9/26/2022 at 2:39 PM, Nataska said:

Code IDE on left half of screen, Chome in upper right, other thing in lower left.
OR you also have the option of your IDE spanning the entire top (useful if maybe you have code on one side and output on the other) and then chrome + chat splitting the other way.

Here's someone basically doing this at the next level.

----

Screenshot of a 4KTV turned into 3840x1080 (32:9)image.thumb.png.ee7e21a8362e8000326399823f229b37.png

3900x | 32GB RAM | RTX 2080

1.5TB Optane P4800X | 2TB Micron 1100 SSD | 16TB NAS w/ 10Gbe
QN90A | Polk R200, ELAC OW4.2, PB12-NSD, SB1000, HD800

Edit: double post. 

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X, Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 OC 24G, X570 AORUS Elite WIFI Motherboard, HyperX FURY 32GB DDR4-3200 RGB RAM, Creative Sound Blaster AE-9 Sound Card, Samsung 970 Evo Plus M.2 SATA 500GB, ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro M.2 SATA 2TB, Asus HyperX Fury RGB SSD 960GB, Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM 3.5 HDD 2TB, Cooler Master MASTERLIQUID ML240R ARGB, Cooler Master MASTERFAN MF120R ARGB, Cooler Master ELV8 Graphics Card Holder ARGB, Asus ROG Strix 1000G PSU, Lian Li LANCOOL II MESH RGB Case, Windows 11 Pro (22H2).

Laptop: Asus Vivobook "A Bathing Ape" - ASUS Vivobook S 15 OLED BAPE Edition: Intel i9-13900H, 16 GB RAM, 15.6" 2.8K 120hz OLED | Apple MacBook Pro 14" 2023: M2 Pro, 16 GB RAM, NVMe 512 GB | Asus VivoBook 15 OLED: Intel® Core™ i3-1125G4, Intel UHD, 8 GB RAM, Micron NVMe 512 GB | Illegear Z5 SKYLAKE: Intel Core i7-6700HQ, Nvidia Geforce GTX 970M, 16 GB RAM, ADATA SU800 M.2 SATA 512GB.

Monitor: Samsung Odyssey OLED G9 49" 5120x1440 240hz QD-OLED HDR, LG OLED Flex 42LX3QPSA 41.5" 3840x2160 bendable 120hz WOLED, AOC 24G2SP 24" 1920x1080 165hz SDR, LG UltraGear Gaming Monitor 34" 34GN850 3440x1440 144hz (160hz OC) NanoIPS HDR, LG Ultrawide Gaming Monitor 34" 34UC79G 2560x1080 144hz IPS SDR, LG 24MK600 24" 1920x1080 75hz Freesync IPS SDR, BenQ EW2440ZH 24" 1920x1080 75hz VA SDR.

Input Device: Asus ROG Azoth Wireless Mechanical KeyboardAsus ROG Chakram X Origin Wireless MouseLogitech G913 Lightspeed Wireless RGB Mechanical Gaming Keyboard, Logitech G502X Wireless Mouse, Logitech G903 Lightspeed HERO Wireless Gaming Mouse, Logitech Pro X, Logitech MX Keys, Logitech MX Master 3, XBOX Wireless Controller Covert Forces Edition, Corsair K70 RAPIDFIRE Mechanical Gaming Keyboard, Corsair Dark Core RGB Pro SE Wireless Gaming Mouse, Logitech MK850 Wireless Keyboard & Mouse Combos.

Entertainment: LG 55" C9 OLED HDR Smart UHD TV with AI ThinQ®, 65" Samsung AU7000 4K UHD Smart TV, SONOS Beam (Gen 2) Dolby Atmos Soundbar, SONOS Sub Mini, SONOS Era 100 x2, SONOS Era 300 Dolby Atmos, Logitech G560 2.1 USB & Bluetooth Speaker, Logitech Z625 2.1 THX Speaker, Edifier M1370BT 2.1 Bluetooth Speaker, LG SK9Y 5.1.2 channel Dolby Atmos, Hi-Res Audio SoundBar, Sony MDR-Z1R, Bang & Olufsen Beoplay EX, Sony WF-1000XM5, Sony WH-1000XM5, Sony WH-1000XM4, Apple AirPods Pro, Samsung Galaxy Buds2, Nvidia Shield TV Pro (2019 edition), Apple TV 4K (2017 & 2021 Edition), Chromecast with Google TV, Sony UBP-X700 UltraHD Blu-ray, Panasonic DMP-UB400 UltraHD Blu-ray.

Mobile & Smart Watch: Apple iPhone 15 Pro Max (Natural Titanium), Apple Watch Series 8 Stainless Steel with Milanese Loop (Graphite).

Others Gadgets: Asus SBW-06D2X-U Blu-ray RW Drive, 70 TB Ext. HDD, j5create JVCU100 USB HD Webcam with 360° rotation, ZTE UONU F620, Maxis Fibre WiFi 6 Router, Fantech MPR800 Soft Cloth RGB Gaming Mousepad, Fantech Headset Headphone Stand AC3001S RGB Lighting Base Tower, Infiniteracer RGB Gaming Chair

On 9/27/2022 at 3:51 PM, Stahlmann said:

I wouldn't go for the Asus. It's worse in practically any way than the LG C2. Keep in mind that Linus' video about it was sponsored by Asus, so it was basically an advertisement. When looking at the measured data at the end of the video and comparing it to reviews of the C2 it's not even a contest. Plus the matte coating destroys OLED's ability to display deep blacks.

The whole argument with ultrawide and immersion is because it fills more of your fov. A big 16:9 screen will fill out even more of your fov.

This is what human fov looks like, you tell me if 21:9 or 16:9 comes closer to it:

image.png.410622721d2aa774c5169b203cf24a29.png

image.png

On 9/30/2022 at 3:04 AM, IPD said:

The feeling I get when I'm looking at a 32:9 monitor.

1078921573_TiniestGlassesEver.jpg.c9db703e528c52af9908ee313f67e535.jpg

49" 32:9 aspect ratio display is just a 55" 16:9 aspect ratio display cut into half horizontally.

Screenshot_20221003_024837.thumb.jpg.f46ce328ec94709d76dd7b81e0328758.jpg

Unless your eye cannot see entire 55" TV, then you will have issue on 49" 32:9 aspect ratio display. The human FOV is not apply to aspect ratio only without calculating the size. 

3 hours ago, Andrewtst said:

49" 32:9 aspect ratio display is just a 55" 16:9 aspect ratio display cut into half horizontally.

Screenshot_20221003_024837.thumb.jpg.f46ce328ec94709d76dd7b81e0328758.jpg

Unless your eye cannot see entire 55" TV, then you will have issue on 49" 32:9 aspect ratio display. The human FOV is not apply to aspect ratio only without calculating the size. 

I've been saying that 32:9 displays are missing half the display.  That's been something I've pretty much been repeating myself on ever since I joined here.

The issue isn't whether or not you can fit a 55" into your entire FOV.  The issue is that 16:9 is the best approximation for what the human eyeball sees.  So whatever size display you wish to use--16:9--will be the most optimized way to fill your FOV.  If a 32" is the maximum you can make use of, then the same would hold true of a 32" 16:9 display and a 29" 32:9 display would be neglecting half your FOV--even though they're the same width.

As someone that currently has both 34 inch UW and 48 inch 4k OLED TV on other side, I can see two different sides of immersion. What I liked about ultrawide is seeing more details on the sides which can benefit for some game titles like platforming, racing and RPG birds eye view.

On the other hand for TV as viewing distance increases, the more i prefer 16:9 and the missing vertical FOV became too noticeable. I've tried 21:9 resolution on TV and immediately feel the need to move closer for the missing vertical FOV. 

PC spec: CPU: RYZEN 9 5950X | GPU: SAPPHIRE NITRO+ SE AMD RADEON 6900XT (Undervolt to 1045mV) | MB: MSI MAG TOMAHAWK x570 RAM: G.SKILL TRIDENT Z NEO 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4-3600 (OC to 3800 14-15-15-25) COOLING: NOCTUA NH-D15, BE QUIET! SILENT WINGS 120 & 140mm| CASE: IN-WIN 707 | 5.25" BAY: LG WH16NS60 INTERNAL BLU-RAY OPTICAL DRIVE | PSU: SEASONIC PRIME PLATINUM 1000WUPS: POWERSHIELD COMMANDER TOWER 1100VA

PERIPHERALS: KEYBOARD: CORSAIR K95 PLATINUM XT BROWN SWITCH | MOUSE: CORSAIR SABRE PRO WIRELESS | CONTROLLER: PDP AFTERGLOW WIRED CONTROLLER, DUALSENSE
DISPLAYS: LG 34GN8502x DELL S2721DGF | LG C1 48" 

HT & audio stuff:  AVR: MARANTZ SR7013 | STEREO AMPLIFIER: YAMAHA AS-501 | SPEAKERS: DALI OBERON 7 & DALI ZENSOR 1 & 2x SVS-SB2000 | HEADPHONE DAC+AMP: TOPPING L30+E30 | HEADPHONE: SENNHEISER HD6XX, BOSE QUIETCOMFORT 35 II | MICROPHONE: AUDIO-TECHNICA AT9934USB | BLU-RAY PLAYER: PANASONIC UB820

25 minutes ago, BuzzingBee said:

As someone that currently has both 34 inch UW and 48 inch 4k OLED TV on other side, I can see two different sides of immersion. What I liked about ultrawide is seeing more details on the sides which can benefit for some game titles like platforming, racing and RPG birds eye view.

On the other hand for TV as viewing distance increases, the more i prefer 16:9 and the missing vertical FOV became too noticeable. I've tried 21:9 resolution on TV and immediately feel the need to move closer for the missing vertical FOV. 

This I understand.  "Immersion" for me is filling my entire FOV with usable information.  "Immersion" for others may be marginally detailed information drawn from periphery.  For yet others, it may simply be having the display "wrapping around" their physical FOV--regardless of what the game's FOV is delivering.

I've never felt that I was limited on game FOV.  Sure, I can set it to higher, but then it feels like fish-eye.  21:9 might be a safe compromise, but by the time you get to 32:9, you're really just asking for the bottom half of the picture.

On 9/27/2022 at 2:19 PM, Nataska said:

One problem with Ultrawide is that it has the width but lack the vertical space of a traditional monitor - and that can be an issue for a job that required a lot of text processing (I would know, I am a translator by trade and have to write tons of string everydays in CAS software.)

A 42 or 43 inches monitor is about as wide as an Ultrawide but also have the vertical space which makes it a lot more flexible in various workflow that can take advantage of a vertical space. Think of it like two vertical stack Ultrawide without the black bar in between. 

Although compared to the traditional dual monitor, you also lack the flexibility of being able to adjust each screen individually. Ideally having a seperated work and gaming set up would suite both of the task better but if not I would also argue that 42-43 inches are an overall better option (because why settle with just the width when you can have the height too?) And most 40+ option will generally have at least a usable HDR feature on top of everything else.

OLED is probably not as suitable for game + work sort of workflow. Burning-in will always remain a risk you have to be aware of (although there are people who reportedly using OLED for programming and not suffer from it.) But LCD options like Aorus FV43U and Samsung QN90B do exist.