Advice/help needed on high-end build

Vassago

Budget (including currency): 3.500E

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Latest/future games

Other details: Hey everyone, so here's the pc build I came up with: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/RGLjLs 

I'd really like advice on whether the parts are compatible (any inconsistencies, something I'm not seeing), whether the psu is sufficient and whether the case I picked will fit them without any issues.

In general I plan to have this build carry me through the next 5 to 7 years. I'd like to note that I don't really care about RGB or beauty, just efficiency. 

I am also in the market for a monitor, willing to invest up to 800E for one, so if you have any suggestions I'm all ears!

Thanks in advance!

For monitors I always recommend watching hardware unboxed, this is from just a few days ago and covers a lot  

31 minutes ago, Vassago said:

Other details: Hey everyone, so here's the pc build I came up with: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/RGLjLs 

I'd really like advice on whether the parts are compatible (any inconsistencies, something I'm not seeing), whether the psu is sufficient and whether the case I picked will fit them without any issues.

In general I plan to have this build carry me through the next 5 to 7 years. I'd like to note that I don't really care about RGB or beauty, just efficiency. 

I am also in the market for a monitor, willing to invest up to 800E for one, so if you have any suggestions I'm all ears!

Thanks in advance!

Mmmm if you're gaming, you don't need a 3090Ti, that's like +30% cost vs +10% (or less) perf vs a 3080Ti

Your board is absurdly exepnsive as well, there are quie good Z690 boards for 250EUR

Then with 500EUR more for the monitor you can get a really nice one, only 1440p I can recommend is the Alienware QD-OLED, else a good 32" 4K 🙂

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

A few thoughts on the build

• 850W is a little light for a 3090 Ti, 1000W would be better. Similar for if you go 3080 Ti to save a few bucks.
  • A $410 motherboard is ridiculously expensive, especially nowadays when cpu overclocking is basically useless with how hard these chips are pushed at stock. You can get really nice B660 boards for around $160 that can run i5-12600k even up to i9-12900k without throttling. CPU overclocking is dead.
  • Check how much the i7-12700 or i7-12700F sell for. In the US they're only about $40 more than the i5-12600k and are a good 10-15% stronger.
  • Don't go for a compact case running a beast of a gpu like that; check reviews for something that has good gpu cooling.
  • I probably wouldn't use two M.2 PCIE SSDs since you'd be taking PCIE lanes from your gpu with the second SSD.
  • If you're going to spend that much on your system might as well go with a PCIE-4.0x4 SSD that has PS5 speeds, like a WD SN850 2TB. Might really be useful once DirectStorage gets implemented for gaming.

32 minutes ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

I probably wouldn't use two M.2 PCIE SSDs since you'd be taking PCIE lanes from your gpu with the second SSD.

One NVMe m.2 header uses CPU PCIe lanes dedicated for that use.  On the Z690 Aorus Pro motherboard the remaining NVMe m.2 headers use chipset PCIe lanes. GPU have 16 CPU PCIe lanes available regardless of the number of m.2 drives.

3 hours ago, Vassago said:

Thanks in advance!

Consider an i7-12700(F). It offers two additional performance cores and is usually within 10% of the cost. It is also usually paired with less expensive B660 or H670 motherboards.

DDR5 is a more expensive option that still is not cost effective. You might consider using DDR4.

I would use a higher performance cpu cooler. 

Check pricing on 2TB SN770 drives. Often very well priced. 

Consider a 1000W PSU. There are many excellent models, see https://cultists.network/140/psu-tier-list/ for guidance.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

20 minutes ago, brob said:

DDR5 is a more expensive option that still is not cost effective. You might consider using DDR4.

Thanks for clearing things up with the PCIE lanes. Agree with most of the post except this part about DDR4 vs DDR5. Hardware Unboxed did a test with the cheapest CAS40 DDR5-4800 kit they could find and it outperformed pretty high-end CAS14 DDR4-3200 most of the time in gaming. Probably makes sense to go DDR5 these days, maybe not to pay for DDR5-6000 or DDR5-6400 yet though. Wish this would have been the case when I built my i5-12400F based system a few months ago lol, I would have gladly paid the extra $20 total for two of those 8GB DDR5-4800 sticks vs the 2x8GB CAS18 DDR4-3600 G.Skill kit I picked up that my 12400F's memory controller couldn't even keep up with unless I clocked down to CAS17 DDR4-3200.