CPUs and motherboard compatibility

Grard488

Budget (including currency): doesn’t matter

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: gaming

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc):  I want to upgrade my cpu but I’m confused weather if I can use any cpu that can go in my am4 socket or do I have to use the ones from the hop website. Here’s the build with the mother board https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/omen-by-hp-880-000-desktop-pc-series/15776604/model/16842113/document/c05525705

You should be able to upgrade it to other AM4 CPUs, provided the motherboard's BIOS supports them. If the machine is offered with other CPUs, those models should definitely work. Anything else, you'll have to search online if anyone has upgraded theirs, check the manual or maybe contact HP support.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

As you got a (crap) proprietary HP mobo there's not much chances you can update BIOS to support later Zen generation CPU, but check it

Even then there's a large chance that anything a bit powerful will burn the poor VRM of the board...

That's OEM crapbuilts..

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

Should I just get a different micro mother board instead 

6 minutes ago, Grard488 said:

Pre-built systems often come with a non-standard PSU power cables. Make sure to check if yours has standard connectors for the motherboard, otherwise this will be difficult. Also check how much power it can provide, since this will limit your choices to components that fit within its power budget.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

1 hour ago, Grard488 said:

Any serious upgrade of an OEM built requires getting a new mobo, PSU and case 

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones