Upgrading to Ryzen 5 5600g with an a320m motherboard

Go to solution Solved by mariushm,

5600g is not power hungry, it consumes around 60-80 watts.  Basically, as much as a Ryzen 1700.

The VRM is shitty,  3 phases with two low side mosfets with high RDS(on) which basically means the VRM will get HOT, but nevertheless it will handle the 5600g, and it's very unlikely it would damage the board.

Hello all,

I'm from Southeast Asia so excuse my English.

I currently have a Ryzen 3 2200g on a Biostar A320m motherboard and I was thinking of upgrading my CPU to a Ryzen 5 5600g. I checked the manufacturer's website for my motherboard and with the latest bios update it seems like 

a 5600g would be compatible with it. I'm eventually going to upgrade my motherboard to a b450 or b550 in a month or so. My question is would the a320 hold up for the month that it'll take me to upgrade my motherboard. I am currently employed as a Virtual Assistant and I'll be using my computer for admin tasks, google sheets as well as some cs:go and Valorant. Included below is the manufacturer's website with the list of compatible CPUs. Any info or insight would be a big help.

Thank you.

https://www.biostar.com.tw/app/en/mb/introduction.php?S_ID=912#cpusupport

You would need to update the BIOS to the latest one, version 505, released on 2022-05-05

Format a stick with FAT32, unpack the bios in the root of the usb stick (use usb 2.0 ports on the back, should be most compatible/supported)

Go in BIOS and press F12 to update the bios and select the bios file from the usb stick.

29 minutes ago, mariushm said:

You would need to update the BIOS to the latest one, version 505, released on 2022-05-05

Format a stick with FAT32, unpack the bios in the root of the usb stick (use usb 2.0 ports on the back, should be most compatible/supported)

Go in BIOS and press F12 to update the bios and select the bios file from the usb stick.

Thank you! I already did this. I was more worried that the 5600g would fry my a320 motherboard. I'll be using the 5600g on the a320 for about a month until I upgrade to a b450. 

5600g is not power hungry, it consumes around 60-80 watts.  Basically, as much as a Ryzen 1700.

The VRM is shitty,  3 phases with two low side mosfets with high RDS(on) which basically means the VRM will get HOT, but nevertheless it will handle the 5600g, and it's very unlikely it would damage the board.

• 2 months later...
On 9/24/2022 at 7:26 AM, ParzivalQuesting said:

Thank you! I already did this. I was more worried that the 5600g would fry my a320 motherboard. I'll be using the 5600g on the a320 for about a month until I upgrade to a b450. 

I'm so glad you ask this question because I couldn't quite find the answer. My nephew has the Biostar A320M and I just got him the 5600G for Christmas. So, it does work with this motherboard? I know it didn't earlier this year due to BIOS. So, did you get it installed and running?

A processor won't "fry" the motherboard. It just won't work.

The way you figure things out is to go on the manufacturer website to your motherboard model (paying attention to revision of motherboard, if any) and there you will find a cpu compatibility list - it will tell you what processors are supported, and starting from what bios version.

Here's the A320 chipset motherboards from Biostar: https://www.biostar.com.tw/app/en/mb/socket.php?S_ID=24#AMD A320

There's no "A320M" but there's A320MH, A320MH 2.0 (revision 2 of previous) , A320M2 and so on.

Let's take A320MH 2.0 as an example : https://www.biostar.com.tw/app/en/mb/introduction.php?S_ID=1024

Scroll down and click on CPU Support button... and if you scroll down, you will see 5600G in the list, and all the way to the right it says the bios version : A32GS505.BSS

So now you can go to Downloads, to the list of BIOS files ... go back up and click on the "Download" button and you'll see the bios section and it says there:

image.thumb.png.05a50146c6951ca360c314ab3a85839d.png

So you can see that bios version A32G505  is the latest bios, posted on the 5th of May 2022 ... so if the guy didn't update the bios to the latest version, the 5600G won't work.