Looking for this SSD's controller chip

Shutset
Go to solution Solved by Needfuldoer,
2 hours ago, Shutset said:

Hi. I just took new photos with a much better camera and replaced the old ones on my first post.

MUCH better!

The SM2259 is the controller, the two Transcend chips are your NAND flash, and the K4B4G16 chip appears to be DDR3 DRAM.

Inspired from this as well as this!

I sought to cool down my SSDs. I bought a new M.2 SATA SSD (Transcend 430S 512GB, to be exact) for my ultrabook,

took the sticker off and begun my search for the controller chip. (Please see the photos attached here but apologies for any lack of clarity in them

since it was the best I could do.)

So if I got it right, the NAND memory chips are the large square-ish chips (labelled Transcend in this case)

while the controller is a smaller chip nearest the gold connectors. This SSD also has a DDR3 cache so I'm left two guesses

which is the controller and which is the DDR3 cache.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Back.jpg

IMG_20220923_203811.jpg

Tips for macro photography:
- place your phone/camera on a solid stable surface and align the shot
- use the camera timer feature to delay the activation of the camera shutter so that you aren't physically touching and moving the camera/phone when the picture is taken

Just now, ToboRobot said:

Tips for macro photography:
- place your phone/camera on a solid stable surface and align the shot
- use the camera timer feature to delay the activation of the camera shutter so that you aren't physically touching and moving the camera/phone when the picture is taken

- Hold the phone further away from the device and zoom in so it fills the shot. That way you stay further away than your phone's minimum focus distance.

But if I had to guess from the picture, the square chip is the controller. The two big rectangular ones are the flash memory, and I'm guessing the smaller rectangular one might be DRAM.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

2 hours ago, Shutset said:

Hi. I just took new photos with a much better camera and replaced the old ones on my first post.

MUCH better!

The SM2259 is the controller, the two Transcend chips are your NAND flash, and the K4B4G16 chip appears to be DDR3 DRAM.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

One last thing.

I managed to cut a piece off of a be quiet! MC1 Pro M.2 heatsink right here.

The idea is that I attach this piece to the controller chip with a thin layer of thermal paste in between.

IMG_20220924_140200.thumb.jpg.7316a16c73b5278d493fc8f5b436d0f0.jpg

IMG_20220924_140247.thumb.jpg.3276c3290129f3ef7604d6609db7ada3.jpg

(I used a hacksaw and a filer).

Seeing what I did here, do you think I should apply some thermal glue on the sides where the copper heatpipe is cut off

just so no bits or the pipe itself falls out? (Mind you, I did shake the thing rigorously and it did not fall out.)

Thanks.