Is it worth over-clocking a GPU?

GuruMeditationError

I've boosted my GPU speed from 855 MHz to 947 MHz (without altering the voltage) and it's only given me an average increase of 2.4 fps in Valley.

Assuming it's going to decrease the lifespan of my card, is it worth increasing the voltage to get a few more fps?

"I try to put good out into the world...that way I can believe it's out there." --CKN                  “How people treat you is their karma; how you react is yours.” --Wayne Dyer            

[Needs Updating] My PC: i5-10600K @TBD / 32GB DDR4 @4000MHz / Z490 AORUS Elite AC / Titan RTX / Samsung 1TB 960 Evo / EVGA SuperNova 850 T2

depending on the GPU it will be hard locked to a maximum voltage limit that can only be bypassed by flashing a custom bios, any voltage you can use with the stock bios is safe and won't decrease the lifespan any appreciable amount over the stock running voltage. Whether or not the extra fps is worth it is up to you.

-The Bellerophon- Obsidian 550D-i5-3570k@4.5Ghz -Asus Sabertooth Z77-16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866Mhz-x2 EVGA GTX 760 Dual FTW 4GB-Creative Sound Blaster XF-i Titanium-OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB-Seagate Barracuda 2TB- https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/60154-the-not-really-a-build-log-build-log/ Twofold http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/121043-twofold-a-dual-itx-system/ How great is EVGA? http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/110662-evga-how-great-are-they/#entry1478299

I really depends on the game you're playing. A boost like that can often give 10-20fps boost depending on the card and the game, but there could be a bottleneck in your case.

If not, then you're right, there isn't much point overclocking so just keep it standard clocks and keep it cooler and lasting longer ;)

Aragorn (WS): 250D | 6800k | 840 Pro 512GB | Intel 530 480GB  | Asus X99-M WS | 64GB DDR4 | Corsair HX720i | GTX 1070 | Corsair H115i | Philips BDM4350UC 43" 3840x2160 IPS

Gimli (server):  Node 304 | G4560 | ADATA XPG SX8000 128GB | 2x 5TB WD Red | ASROCK H270M-ITX/AC  | 8GB DDR4 | Seasonic 400FL

Omega (server):                 Fractal Arc Mini R2 | i3 4130 | 500GB Maxtor | 2TB WD Red : Raid 1 | 3TB Seagate Barracuda | 16GB RAM | Seasonic G-450w
Alpha (WS): 900D | 4770k | GTX 780  | 840 Pro 512GB  | GA-Z87X-OC | Corsair RM 850 | 24GB 2400mhz | Samsung S27B970D 2560x1440

||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

I've boosted my GPU speed from 855 MHz to 947 MHz (without altering the voltage) and it's only given me an average increase of 2.4 fps.

Assuming it's going to decrease the lifespan of my card, is it worth increasing the voltage to get a few more fps?

It shouldn't decrease the lifespan at all really since you are still running the same voltage through the card, if you raise the voltage then yes it will decrease the lifespan

- i7-2600k @ 4.7GHz - MSI 1070 8GB Gaming X - ASUS Maximus V Formula AC3 Edition - 16GB G.SKILL Ripjaws @ 1600Mhz - Corsair RM1000 - 1TB 7200RPM Seagate HDD + 2TB 7200 HDD + 2x240GB M500 RAID 0 - Corsair 750D - Samsung PX2370 & ASUS ROG SWIFT -

depending on the GPU it will be hard locked to a maximum voltage limit that can only be bypassed by flashing a custom bios, any voltage you can use with the stock bios is safe and won't decrease the lifespan any appreciable amount over the stock running voltage. Whether or not the extra fps is worth it is up to you.

it will severely increase power consumption and hence heat however

"Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Yes, overclocking your GPU is totally worth it, just because it is so freaking bad a*s.

And I don't think that a higher Clock speed would kill your gpu in any way. All the custom cards are mostly factory overclocked and they usually life outlive their use. 

Intel 4790k | Asus Z97 Maximus VII Impact | Corsair Vengeance Pro Series 16 GB 1866Mhz | Asus Strix GTX 980 | CoolerMaster G550 |Samsung Evo 250GB | Synology DS215j (NAS) | Logitech G502 |

its more worth doing than the CPU, but what actual FPS you will get out of it is another thing.

Proud Member of the Glorious PC Master Race

The GPU voltage seems only to go up to a maximum of 1.150 from 1.065

The Memory voltage to a maximum of 1.640 from 1.580

Are those very large increases, relatively speaking?

Would it be safe to turn those all the way up to keep nudging up the GPU speed?

I'm guessing, from what mrpants said that it's totally fine.

"I try to put good out into the world...that way I can believe it's out there." --CKN                  “How people treat you is their karma; how you react is yours.” --Wayne Dyer            

[Needs Updating] My PC: i5-10600K @TBD / 32GB DDR4 @4000MHz / Z490 AORUS Elite AC / Titan RTX / Samsung 1TB 960 Evo / EVGA SuperNova 850 T2

it will severely increase power consumption and hence heat however

only if you increase the voltage a large amount

-The Bellerophon- Obsidian 550D-i5-3570k@4.5Ghz -Asus Sabertooth Z77-16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866Mhz-x2 EVGA GTX 760 Dual FTW 4GB-Creative Sound Blaster XF-i Titanium-OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB-Seagate Barracuda 2TB- https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/60154-the-not-really-a-build-log-build-log/ Twofold http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/121043-twofold-a-dual-itx-system/ How great is EVGA? http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/110662-evga-how-great-are-they/#entry1478299

When I overclock my r9 290 from 977 to 1100 I get +5fps gain. I wish I could go further but my card isn't a great overclocker.

I really depends on the game you're playing. A boost like that can often give 10-20fps boost depending on the card and the game, but there could be a bottleneck in your case.

If not, then you're right, there isn't much point overclocking so just keep it standard clocks and keep it cooler and lasting longer ;)

When I overclock my r9 290 from 977 to 1100 I get +5fps gain. I wish I could go further but my card isn't a great overclocker.

The 2.4 fps increase I got on Valley. I got about 1fps, maybe 1.5 on the Mafia II benchmark.

I only overclock until I hit the limit with stock voltages. Keep control of your temps. Core increases will not kill a gpu unless it is running too hot. Stay at stock voltage please. It will give you some peace of mind unless you will be upgrading soon.

I only overclock until I hit the limit with stock voltages. Keep control of your temps. Core increases will not kill a gpu unless it is running too hot. Stay at stock voltage please. It will give you some peace of mind unless you will be upgrading soon.

To be honest I do want this card to last, so I probably won't go beyond the approx. 10% increase the card's bios is allowing me. My plan is to sli, so if I can get an extra few fps on each it might work out worthwhile.

Oops, double post.  :wacko:

I just increased it by the 10% extra it'll let me push it to and the software's brought up a box saying the maximum GPU voltage may shorten the life of the card. Are you sure the card's bios won't let me push it harder than it can handle?

Oops, double post.  :wacko:

I just increased it by the 10% extra it'll let me push it to and the software's brought up a box saying the maximum GPU voltage may shorten the life of the card. Are you sure the card's bios won't let me push it harder than it can handle?

I can only be 100% sure for Nvidia cards as AMD is more loose with it's restrictions and I've personally never owned an AMD card. Though the idea that every bios for every AMD card has unlocked voltage is silly so I'm sure the same is true for them when it comes to maximum voltage restrictions.

I can only be 100% sure for Nvidia cards as AMD is more loose with it's restrictions and I've personally never owned an AMD card. Though the idea that every bios for every AMD card has unlocked voltage is silly so I'm sure the same is true for them when it comes to maximum voltage restrictions.

Okay, cool, mine's an nvidia. I've just maxed out the voltages (only about + 10% on both GPU and Memory) and it seems to be working (no artefacts at 950MHz).

Definitely. With my overclocks I get a full 10FPS boost in my Valley. 

post-64582-0-00154200-1398735321.png

FANBOY OF: PowerColor, be quiet!, Transcend, G.Skill, Phanteks

FORMERLY FANBOY OF: A-Data, Corsair, Nvidia

DEVELOPING FANBOY OF: AMD (GPUS), Intel (CPUs), ASRock

Definitely. With my overclocks I get a full 10FPS boost in my Valley. 

Well I've currently got a 3.5 fps increase over the stock fps for my card at 950 MHz but it's a factory over-clocked edition so I'm not sure how much more there is to get out of it. If I can get it to 965 MHz that's a 25% increase over the stock card. I'm kind of new to this so I don't know if that's good but it sounds good?

Well I've currently got a 3.5 fps increase over the stock fps for my card at 950 MHz but it's a factory over-clocked edition so I'm not sure how much more there is to get out of it. If I can get it to 965 MHz that's a 25% increase over the stock card. I'm kind of new to this so I don't know if that's good but it sounds good?

Rule of thumb: Up it 100Mhz if you're scared, 200MHz if you're feeling dangerous, and anywhere in between.

FANBOY OF: PowerColor, be quiet!, Transcend, G.Skill, Phanteks

FORMERLY FANBOY OF: A-Data, Corsair, Nvidia

DEVELOPING FANBOY OF: AMD (GPUS), Intel (CPUs), ASRock

Rule of thumb: Up it 100Mhz if you're scared, 200MHz if you're feeling dangerous, and anywhere in between.

Thanks, I've been increasing it at 10 MHz at a time. It's getting hotter (I'm cooling it under air) but I've got a closed loop cooler for it. Once I max out the over-clock under air I'm going to fit the water cooler. 

Cards these days of built in overclocking that you can adjust by raising the temp and power targets. That is your surest/safest bet unless you are using a GPU that is designed for overclocking. Like the 780 Ti Kingpin Edition. With out changing any temp or power targets, my 670 FTW SIG 2 already overclocks itself beyond what they advertise. They advertise a boost clock of 1084MHz but I consistently sit at 1176MHz in game, and have exceeded 1200MHz during various benchmarks.

i7 2600K @ 4.7GHz/ASUS P8Z68-V Pro/Corsair Vengeance LP 2x4GB @ 1600MHz/EVGA GTX 670 FTW SIG 2/Cooler Master HAF-X

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3591491194

Cards these days of built in overclocking that you can adjust by raising the temp and power targets. That is your surest/safest bet unless you are using a GPU that is designed for overclocking. Like the 780 Ti Kingpin Edition. With out changing any temp or power targets, my 670 FTW SIG 2 already overclocks itself beyond what they advertise. They advertise a boost clock of 1084MHz but I consistently sit at 1176MHz in game, and have exceeded 1200MHz during various benchmarks.

Mine's not quite that simple but it is pretty easy.  :)

I managed to get it stable at 979MHz (a total of 26.8% faster than the stock GTX 580).

Edit: Also, I should clarify that my overclock figures in this thread show the increase from a stock overclock of 16% up to 26.8%. The 26.8% figure is the overall increase to a standard GTX 580 including both the existing factory overclock and my additional O.C.

My stock and final Valley benchmark ("before and after")... 

FPS: 35.1

Score: 1469

Min FPS: 15.3

Max FPS: 61.2

FPS: 40.7

Score: 1702

Min FPS: 19.4

Max FPS: 75.0

Mine's not quite that simple but it is pretty easy.  :)

I managed to get it stable at 979MHz (a total of 26.8% faster than the stock GTX 580).

My stock and final Valley benchmark ("before and after")... 

FPS: 35.1

Score: 1469

Min FPS: 15.3

Max FPS: 61.2

FPS: 40.7

Score: 1702

Min FPS: 19.4

Max FPS: 75.0

Ouch, still on Fermi. See what you actually get in game and monitor the temps. An extra 5fps is likely not worth the hotter temps.

i7 2600K @ 4.7GHz/ASUS P8Z68-V Pro/Corsair Vengeance LP 2x4GB @ 1600MHz/EVGA GTX 670 FTW SIG 2/Cooler Master HAF-X

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3591491194