Building A PC for the 1st Time šŸ«”

Budget (including currency):Ā 2250 +/- 500

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for:Ā Heavy Gaming, VR, Crypto Mining (Monero/Tari)šŸ‘€Ā 

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc):Ā 

Ā 

I want to play games that anyone will throw at me from latest titles and VR. I have been researching a bit into crypto, so I would like to use the computer to mine when not in use. Ā I am currently on a GTX 1060 (Gigabyte Aero 15 Laptop) from 2016 using my laptop, but I want to upgrade to a PC from being unplayable. I am a bit scared of water/liquid cooling for something of value, so I want air cooling preferred. Also, I want RGB to be incorporated in the build to match my Corsair peripherals below. Refresh rate and resolutionā€¦ I am currently on a QHD 1ms 165 Hz, so I hope that is enough, I want to get a vertical monitor for the side. Would love some suggestions. šŸ˜„

Ā 

No existing parts, but I was dabbling around on pcpartpicker and logical increments:Ā https://pcpartpicker.com/list/QFwsjZ

Ā 

Friends have told me to get:

- Seasonic 1000W

- Noctua DH 15

- Fractal Design Meshify 2 XL

Ā 

But, I am truly open to suggestions and any additional things I may need to build.Ā 

Ā 

Current peripherals: (not looking into changing as pc build is priority, but open to additions and suggestions for the future šŸ˜„)

- Corsair Mouse:Ā CORSAIR - Nightsword RGB Tunable FPS/MOBA Wired Optical Gaming Mouse with Adjustable Weights - Black

- Keyboard:Ā CORSAIR - K95 RGB PLATINUM XT Full-size Wired Mechanical Cherry MX Speed Linear Switch Gaming Keyboard - Black

- Mouse Pad:Ā CORSAIR - MM700 RGB Extended Cloth Gaming Mouse Pad - Black

- Monitor:Ā LG - 32ā€ UltraGear QHD Nano IPS 1ms 165Hz HDR Monitor withG-SYNC Compatibility - Black

- Bose NC700 Headphones + Blue Yeti Blackout Mic

Ā 

IMO dont spend 160$ on fans, its just not worth it. Also you can get a windows key for much cheaper online. that saves you 260$ You can get a EVGA 1000W G6 for 100$ less than that 850W Plat. Unless you actually need a full tower case (they are huge, so make sure the space taken up by them is accounted for) id reccomend mid tower.

Ā 

Other then that, i dont think a 2 TB Gen 4 SSD is needed, id reccomend the 1 TB for now, and get a 2 TB Gen 3 drive, the rest be SATA SSD's, since atm they should be much cheaper and able to run on them no problem.

A few things...

Ā 

1) Why not wait a few weeks and see what the next generation brings? AMD is about to roll out AM5, and both AMD and Nvidia are about to roll out next gen GPUs. You're going for a fairly high end build, and I'd recommend anyone looking at the high end at least wait until we get announcements and pricing. If nothing else, even the rollout should push prices down on the current gen stuff.

Ā 

2) I understand that cases are a 90% aesthetic preference and 10% functionality choice, but unless you've really got your heart set on that case, I'd definitely look elsewhere. That case is very expensive for what it does. It also seems quite unnecessary unless you're planning on putting a half-dozen HDDs in there. I'm a huge fan of the Lian Li cases personally, and am running an O11 Air Mini. You don't need to spend $300 with tax on a case whose main purpose is to house a bunch of HDDs that you aren't including in the build.

Ā 

3) The above recommendation of going with a EVGA 1000W G6 PSU is a good one. I've got one in my O11 Air Mini right now. šŸ™‚

Ā 

4) Ditch the $100+ copy of Windows. You can get a legit OEM copy for $10-20 elsewhere.

Ā 

5) Ditto also on ditching the fans. You don't need that many fans to cool that machine.Ā 

Ā 

6) Just personal, but if I was spending that much on a build, I'd want to get an i9 or R9 in there. Take the money you save on the other parts (case, unnecessary fans, PSU, Windows) and put it towards performance.

Ā 

Just the recommendations you've got so far could easily shave hundreds of dollars off of your build without really losing anything at all. But I'd again recommend waiting until AM5 launches (which if nothing else may push down the price of 12th gen Intel some) and at least waiting until we have pricing on the new GPUs.Ā 

Ā 

Try this one:Ā https://pcpartpicker.com/list/vF9fDq

Ā 

This has a Ryzen 9 5900X and it's $400 cheaper. You could pocket that, or put it back into a better graphics card, maybe even a 3090 Ti...