Motherboard not accepting CPU

Gauzl

I'm trying to use a 5800x with a MSI MAG B550M motherboard and I have updated the BIOS to the latest version. Also shows in the BIOS that it has the latest version. However the motherboard shows the CPU led indicating an error. Any thoughts?

Did you make sure to see whether its compatible  with the motherboard?

Edited by HopelessGPU

"Sometimes, the people who are thousands of miles away from you can make you feel better than people right beside you."

22 minutes ago, HopelessGPU said:

Did you make sure to see whether its compatible  with the motherboard?

I just checked this and all three 5800s (X / non-X / X3D) are supported.

@GauzlOP, I wouldn't necessarily trust what the BIOS says on this. In the listing of BIOS update versions required for this processor, there are two BIOS versions listed for the 5800X, 7C94v18 and 7C94v14. Assuming the latest BIOS is the 7C94v18, two different supporting BIOS versions might suggest it's possible an earlier 5800X chip might not be recognized by the latest BIOS. Just a long shot, whichever of these you have installed, try flashing BIOS to the other one. Otherwise, list your full specs, Ryzens are funny about RAM and this could be a RAM support / compatibility issue.

Edited by An0maly_76
Revised, more info

I don't badmouth others' input, I'd appreciate others not badmouthing mine. *** More below ***

MODERATE TO SEVERE AUTISTIC, COMPLICATED WITH COVID FOG

Due to the above, I've likely revised posts <30 min old, and do not think as you do.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

50 minutes ago, Gauzl said:

I'm trying to use a 5800x with a MSI MAG B550M motherboard and I have updated the BIOS to the latest version. Also shows in the BIOS that it has the latest version. However the motherboard shows the CPU led indicating an error. Any thoughts?

Check if ram is located in slot A2 and B2. Make sure CPU is seated correctly

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

4 minutes ago, An0maly_76 said:

@GauzlOP, I wouldn't necessarily trust what the BIOS says on this. In the listing of BIOS update versions required for this processor, there are two BIOS versions listed for the 5800X, 7C94v18 and 7C94v14. Assuming the latest BIOS is the 7C94v18, two different supporting BIOS versions might suggest it's possible an earlier 5800X chip might not be recognized by the latest BIOS. Just a long shot, whichever of these you have installed, try flashing BIOS to the other one. Otherwise, list your full specs, Ryzens are funny about RAM and this could be a RAM support / compatibility issue.

Solid information

"Sometimes, the people who are thousands of miles away from you can make you feel better than people right beside you."

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/19/2022 at 6:04 PM, An0maly_76 said:

Gonna try this today but there been several BIOS updates since v14 and v18, I've only tried the latest one which is v1D. Should I try v14 then v18 or should the latest version cover both?

The latest will cover just fine.

Speaking of RAM, do you happen to be running a set of Corsair sticks?

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.