Upgrading my 4 year old build

Seance

Budget (including currency): 1200€ (variable)

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: 

Satisfactory, very heavily modded Minecraft, Overwatch, Rocket League, No Man's Sky

Other details

I'm thinking about upgrading my  setup.

Current specs:

- MoBo: MSI X370 Gamimg Pro Carbon
- GPU: Asus Radeon RX Vega 64 ROG Strix OC
- SSDs: 2x 500GB Samsung 860 Evo 2.5" (6.4cm) SATA 6Gb/s
- CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1800X
- CPU cooler: Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240 AIO water cooler

- Case fans: I forgot which ones I got and don't have the info at hand... they're Corsair RGB fans I think
- Case: Corsair Carbide SPEC-OMEGA RGB
- PSU: 650 Watt Seasonic FOCUS Plus Modular 80+ Gold
- RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX  DDR4-3000 DIMM CL15 Dual Kit

I basically want to play all of these games (and others in this requirement category) in 1440x2560@144FPS at high to ultra settings without burning my feet on my glass side panel (The graphics card regularly reaches close to 90°C even on Rocket Leaugue). I also currently have two monitors: One 1440x2560@144Hz and one 1920x1080@60Hz for Discord/etc.

Ideally, I want to buy the parts late 2022/ealy 2023.

So what would be the most cost efficient way to upgrade? It's hard to decide especially with the RTX 4000 series coming soon...

Well you can wait for the GPU prices are plummeting with the Merge

But for 400eur you could already get a 5700x or 5800x, plus a 1tb Nvme SSD if your board allows, and have a much better rig

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

15 minutes ago, Seance said:

late 2022/ealy 2023.

Ask again then. No point asking now since at least 1 entire new gen of hardware launches this weak and early 2023 seems to be the time of the rtx4000 series coming out too.

As for an upgrade you can do regardless is get a ryzen 5000 cpu (at least a 5600) but wait for the ryzen 7000 release as that usually drops prices. Don't forget youll need to update your bios and that WILL drop support for the 1800x.

Other than that clean out your vega 64 and repaste it for now. It will run cooler and better.

Case hasnt the best airflow could think about replacing that or adding some good fans to it.

Other than those immediate things its waiting till the week you wanna get the parts and asking again.

18 minutes ago, Seance said:

You can handle a pretty decent upgrade, but if you want to go all-out, a power supply update might be warranted. The motherboard you have now can be upgraded with a Ryzen 7 5800X3D which would be a pretty massive jump, and an addition of a high end graphics card would make for a pretty beastly machine.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

53 minutes ago, Seance said:

Budget (including currency): 1200€ (variable)

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: 

Satisfactory, very heavily modded Minecraft, Overwatch, Rocket League, No Man's Sky

Other details

I'm thinking about upgrading my  setup.

Current specs:

- MoBo: MSI X370 Gamimg Pro Carbon
- GPU: Asus Radeon RX Vega 64 ROG Strix OC
- SSDs: 2x 500GB Samsung 860 Evo 2.5" (6.4cm) SATA 6Gb/s
- CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1800X
- CPU cooler: Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240 AIO water cooler

- Case fans: I forgot which ones I got and don't have the info at hand... they're Corsair RGB fans I think
- Case: Corsair Carbide SPEC-OMEGA RGB
- RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX  DDR4-3000 DIMM CL15 Dual Kit

I basically want to play all of these games (and others in this requirement category) in 1440x2560@144FPS at high to ultra settings without burning my feet on my glass side panel (The graphics card regularly reaches close to 90°C even on Rocket Leaugue). I also currently have two monitors: One 1440x2560@144Hz and one 1920x1080@60Hz for Discord/etc.

Ideally, I want to buy the parts late 2022/ealy 2023.

So what would be the most cost efficient way to upgrade? It's hard to decide especially with the RTX 4000 series coming soon...

Honestly if you aio is still working then you could reuse that, same with case, fans and storage. Assuming that's what you want, would give you a huge budget for performance. 

Your best bet would be to go for either a r5 5600 or a r7 5700 since both would be a huge upgrade from first gen ryzen. 

For a gpu, a good bet would be a 3070, 3070ti or a 5700 xt for 1440p.

Can't recommend 4000 series because they are not out and I don't know enough about them. Also nvidia and amd might drip feed the market with cards over months with releases. 

System Specs: Ryzen 5 5500 (Themralright Assassin X) // Asus A520m-K // Vengeance 2x8GB 3200Mhz Ram // Gigabyte Eagle RX 6600 XT // Gigabyte P650B 650w // WD Blue Sn550 500GB Nvme // CX500 2TB  // CiY Tester84 (Outemu Orange) // Razer Mamba Wireless // Gamemax Trooper Case

35 minutes ago, MrAxe said:

Honestly if you aio is still working then you could reuse that, same with case, fans and storage. Assuming that's what you want, would give you a huge budget for performance. 

Your best bet would be to go for either a r5 5600 or a r7 5700 since both would be a huge upgrade from first gen ryzen. 

For a gpu, a good bet would be a 3070, 3070ti or a 5700 xt for 1440p.

Can't recommend 4000 series because they are not out and I don't know enough about them. Also nvidia and amd might drip feed the market with cards over months with releases. 

Hey, Thanks for all the input! 🙂

This upgrade plan is the one closest to what I was thinking about.

I am worrying about wattage though...

Let's say I upgrade my CPU to Ryzen 7 5800X3D and my GPU to a RTX 3070 and leave everything else as is - Would my PSU still be able to handle that?

Also: The RTX 3000 Series runs best on PCIe Gen4 I believe(?), but my board only has PCIe Gen3 - Would that make a serious bottleneck?

Update for the PSU question:

I used two PSU calculators and they give me contradicting results:

OuterVision calculator: https://outervision.com/b/TrttMx - It recommends at least a 586W PSU (which I already have)

be quiet! calculator: You can't make a permalink there but it says I need at least a 750W PSU...

Am I missing something here? 😕

22 hours ago, Fasauceome said:

You can handle a pretty decent upgrade, but if you want to go all-out, a power supply update might be warranted. The motherboard you have now can be upgraded with a Ryzen 7 5800X3D which would be a pretty massive jump, and an addition of a high end graphics card would make for a pretty beastly machine.

5 hours ago, Seance said:

Update for the PSU question:

I used two PSU calculators and they give me contradicting results:

OuterVision calculator: https://outervision.com/b/TrttMx - It recommends at least a 586W PSU (which I already have)

be quiet! calculator: You can't make a permalink there but it says I need at least a 750W PSU...

Am I missing something here? 😕

If you send this PSU back to seasonic complaining about boot cycling, slow boots, or crashes (which I'm sure it's doing if it's been driving a vega) they'll send you a focus GX 650 for free.  My focus+ plat did this after running 2 vega 64s for a while and they sent me a focus PX for warranty.  Dig out the receipt and get it started.  For a $60 deposit they'll send you the new one first, and then you can send the old one back to them after you get it and you give you your money back. 

Make sure to keep all of your cables though, they'll only RMA the PSU itself.  They have you keep the cables you have to keep cost down (they're the same pinout so it's fine).

Literally a free PSU upgrade because the focus+ have known issues with transience spikes, but the focus X seems to have solved this.  It would be fine for a 6700xt or 3070.

21 hours ago, Seance said:

Hey, Thanks for all the input! 🙂

This upgrade plan is the one closest to what I was thinking about.

I am worrying about wattage though...

Let's say I upgrade my CPU to Ryzen 7 5800X3D and my GPU to a RTX 3070 and leave everything else as is - Would my PSU still be able to handle that?

Also: The RTX 3000 Series runs best on PCIe Gen4 I believe(?), but my board only has PCIe Gen3 - Would that make a serious bottleneck?

Don't worry about that.  None of the GPUs you've mentioned need gen 4 bandwidth, and the zen 2/3 CPUs can all do gen 4 anyway with b450 or newer boards.  TBH I wouldn't bother with the 5800x3d, way more expensive than a 5700x for negligible benefit, especially at higher resolutions.  You would be totally fine to just get a 5600, I'm sure you realized the 1800x you bought never fully utilized all of it's assets, as the 1600 still does the same as it in every game.  It would also keep you well within the capability of the focus GX 650 PSU you can get for free, as opposed to maybe wanting a higher wattage PSU.

I edit the shit out of my posts.  Refresh before you respond.

So the new plan would be:

- replace the CPU with a Ryzen 7 5700X

- replace the GPU with a RTX 3070 Ti

- replace the PSU with a Focus GX 650

- Keep the Motherboard (MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon)

- Replace the case with one with better airflow

And by what I read this should work without without being bottlenecked by the motherboard or overloading the PSU, right?

(It would need to power two SATA SSDs, one M.2 NVMe SSD plus ca. three external USB devices - if it's any help)

Thanks again for the PSU tip! 🙂

Ok, so after some more thinking anf matching, this is what I've come up with in the end: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/cmCQhk

(I added a new RAM kit to dedicate to modded MC plus another SSD since I've been running out of storage...)

Could this work?

Edited by Seance

EDIT: Reply removed as I originally misread the query.

Edited by Thomas4

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/16/2022 at 6:15 PM, Seance said:

Ok, so after some more thinking anf matching, this is what I've come up with in the end: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/cmCQhk

(I added a new RAM kit to dedicate to modded MC plus another SSD since I've been running out of storage...)

Could this work?

Not sure if its still active or if went for it but it looks OK. 

But x370 is an older ryzen platform and B550 would be better. 

System Specs: Ryzen 5 5500 (Themralright Assassin X) // Asus A520m-K // Vengeance 2x8GB 3200Mhz Ram // Gigabyte Eagle RX 6600 XT // Gigabyte P650B 650w // WD Blue Sn550 500GB Nvme // CX500 2TB  // CiY Tester84 (Outemu Orange) // Razer Mamba Wireless // Gamemax Trooper Case

1 hour ago, MrAxe said:

But x370 is an older ryzen platform and B550 would be better. 

He already has an x370 board though, no need to upgrade.

On 10/11/2022 at 12:45 AM, NF-A12x25 said:

He already has an x370 board though, no need to upgrade.

Ah, must have missed that part or forgot. Tbf it was a month since I first replied. 

Yeah, fine if he already has it.