Green Boot Light

Go to solution Solved by An0maly_76,

It's possible you either have a video problem or a bad video card.

First, Is your cable plugged into the motherboard's video port, or the GPU's video port? No offense, this is a common mistake.

Try a different cable, or try the cable you're using with a different device if possible. Sometimes this is a bad or flaky cable.

If possible, try the monitor on a different machine / device if possible to verify the monitor and port in question are working.

If all this checks out, you could be experiencing issues similar to what I experienced in my build. Long story short, turned out my motherboard and processor did not like the RAM I used, and would start up with no video every 8-10 cold boots, either booting or failing POST with no debug light. I never would have figured it out if I hadn't built a cheap test machine for the other components while the board was being RMA'd.

Ryzens are actually quite fussy about RAM, and certain boards make this even more tricky. With Ryzen, it's best to go by the board manufacturer's Qualified Vendor List when it comes to RAM. Storage can also give issues if not QVL'd but it's far more common with RAM.

I have built a new PC, and have tried everything, that people have recommended. The problem is that everything turns on, except there is no display and my motherboard has the green light that says boot on, but nothing is happening. The parts are new.

Asus Prime B550 Plus

AMD Ryzen 5 5500

AMD Radeon RX 6500 XT

Corsair VS500

Patriot 2x8 3200MHZ 

WD Black 2280 1TB

Coolermaster Masterbox Pro 5 ARGB

Edit: I am fairly sure on the plugs for the bigger headers like the 24 pin, The only thing i am not confident about is the power switch, reset switch and those headers.

It's possible you either have a video problem or a bad video card.

First, Is your cable plugged into the motherboard's video port, or the GPU's video port? No offense, this is a common mistake.

Try a different cable, or try the cable you're using with a different device if possible. Sometimes this is a bad or flaky cable.

If possible, try the monitor on a different machine / device if possible to verify the monitor and port in question are working.

If all this checks out, you could be experiencing issues similar to what I experienced in my build. Long story short, turned out my motherboard and processor did not like the RAM I used, and would start up with no video every 8-10 cold boots, either booting or failing POST with no debug light. I never would have figured it out if I hadn't built a cheap test machine for the other components while the board was being RMA'd.

Ryzens are actually quite fussy about RAM, and certain boards make this even more tricky. With Ryzen, it's best to go by the board manufacturer's Qualified Vendor List when it comes to RAM. Storage can also give issues if not QVL'd but it's far more common with RAM.

I don't badmouth others' input, I'd appreciate others not badmouthing mine. *** More below ***

MODERATE TO SEVERE AUTISTIC, COMPLICATED WITH COVID FOG

Due to the above, I've likely revised posts <30 min old, and do not think as you do.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

Alright I got it working.

The monitor was an older one and so I used the TV that i use for my PS4 and it gave a display. So don’t use old tech. 

I was almost going to order new ram sticks but I didn’t so thank you Linus Forums 🙂

• 1 month later...

I had the same problem last week. Did upgrade from Ryzen 3800XT to Ryzen 5800X3D. Green LED, monitor showing only black. 

After 4 days the solution was found. That my hardware was OK, was discovered after I connected a different monitor and had it booting outright. Wish I had done this day 1, not day 4. So it was my monitor all the time. With the first monitor reconnected, green LED and black monitor. After a few minutes I did press some menu buttons (on my monitor) and suddenly everything worked. It is this monitor, see manual 1.5 "Monitor introduction", I did press buttons 3 and 4 https://www.asus.com/us/Displays-Desktops/Monitors/TUF-Gaming/TUF-Gaming-VG28UQL1A/HelpDesk_Manual/ Don't ask me how this is supposed to have worked, these buttons open menus to get an FPS counter, display alignment, timer, ... activated and have nothing to do with getting the monitor working.

That the motherboard was not booting in the first place, is a strange Asus feature. You need a working monitor connected for the mainboard to boot. Otherwise green LED and black monitor. All the hints that can be found (try different: RAM / GPU / HDMI cable / HDMI port, try DP cable, check how tight the CPU cooler has been screwed on, remove CMOS, reinstall latest BIOS update, try to boot 5 times in a row) didn't do anything. 

Maybe this will help somebody, someday

• 7 months later...
On 9/13/2022 at 3:27 PM, Alaradia said:

is your screen plugged into your mobo or your graphics card

Bruh I'm just dumb I plugged it into my mobo . It's works now thank you so much