Should I even try to overclock my cpu?

Go to solution Solved by SansVarnic,
34 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

I've found that the answer to, "Should I overclock?", is usually, "I should undervolt!". My Ryzen 5 5600 undervolts like a champ. Lower power draw, lower noise, virtually nil performance loss.

I was considering adding this as a point but didnt feel it relevant to the question. 🤷‍♂️

7 minutes ago, wolfmcbeard said:

Thanks for the info y'all, probably won't then.

It does get a bit toasty and loud, if I were to undervolt, would I have to drop the speed down.
I do already have a better cooler, but all the fans I have right now are loud garbo (the one that came with sounds like it includes a pre-failed baring)
Can I just deal with it, are should I undervolt for now, and just go back to stock values later?

You're less likely to break anything by under-volting, if your motherboard allows it (and I assume it does) you can find the optimum by adjusting the volt down little by little and running your machine until it stops running, then you set it back up to the previous level it ran on and leave it there.

Now what I said is above is very basic on how its done but there are plenty of decent guides on how to do it, but my initial answer for stands. 

I dont over or under volt myself, see no need for it personally [in my use case].

39 minutes ago, SansVarnic said:

TBH, unless you have need for it or you're into that niche the answer would be no.

👍

I recently put together first custom pc, and I've seen some cpu overclocking options in my motherboards bios.
I'm using an R5 5600X with the stock cooler (going to put a better tower cooler on when I can get some decent fans)
But I'm wondering if I should even consider overclocking my cpu in the first place, aside from gaming, some music making through MX9rs, and making various things meant for use in the GZDoom engine, I don't really see much point to it.
Is it alright for me to just "nah, I'm good." or should I consider it?

Ryzen 5 5600X - MSI B550 Mag Tomahawk - Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro SL 3200 (4x8) - EVGA RTX2060 XC Gaming 12gig - Crucial P2 250gb nvme ssd (OS) - WD Blue 1tb sata hdd (general storage) - Seagate Barracuda 4tb sata hdd (games) - iBuypower Element Reflect

5 minutes ago, wolfmcbeard said:

I'm using an R5 5600X

Say no more, don't bother overclocking. Enable PBO, maybe play around with the limits if you feel like it (this can get you a couple percent more performance, not much), and the curve optimizer (undervolting) does exist and should help you quite a lot if you're just on the stock cooler, though it's also a bit annoying to use since properly stress testing it is next to impossible and you can end up with crashing at idle. 

TBH, unless you have need for it or you're into that niche the answer would be no.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

12 minutes ago, wolfmcbeard said:

Is it alright for me to just "nah, I'm good." or should I consider it?

I've found that the answer to, "Should I overclock?", is usually, "I should undervolt!". My Ryzen 5 5600 undervolts like a champ. Lower power draw, lower noise, virtually nil performance loss.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

27 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

It does get a bit toasty and loud, if I were to undervolt, would I have to drop the speed down.
I do already have a better cooler, but all the fans I have right now are loud garbo (the one that came with the cooler sounds like it includes a pre-failed baring)
Can I just deal with it, or should I undervolt for now, and just go back to stock values later?

Ryzen 5 5600X - MSI B550 Mag Tomahawk - Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro SL 3200 (4x8) - EVGA RTX2060 XC Gaming 12gig - Crucial P2 250gb nvme ssd (OS) - WD Blue 1tb sata hdd (general storage) - Seagate Barracuda 4tb sata hdd (games) - iBuypower Element Reflect

34 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

I was considering adding this as a point but didnt feel it relevant to the question. 🤷‍♂️

7 minutes ago, wolfmcbeard said:

I do already have a better cooler, but all the fans I have right now are loud garbo (the one that came with sounds like it includes a pre-failed baring)
Can I just deal with it, are should I undervolt for now, and just go back to stock values later?

You're less likely to break anything by under-volting, if your motherboard allows it (and I assume it does) you can find the optimum by adjusting the volt down little by little and running your machine until it stops running, then you set it back up to the previous level it ran on and leave it there.

Now what I said is above is very basic on how its done but there are plenty of decent guides on how to do it, but my initial answer for stands. 

I dont over or under volt myself, see no need for it personally [in my use case].

39 minutes ago, SansVarnic said:

👍

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Well, as I haven't seen any form of throttling since the cpu loves to hover between 4.43 and 4.49 under load, I'll probably just play it safe and leave it alone.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

As everyone has pointed out cpu overclock is dead and its generally not worth it and you are better off undervolting to lower temps and power draw

Youll find much greater performance benifit with ram oc (relative to power draw) but youll only start seeing more than marginal diffs on heavier ocs which are usually a PITA and prob require a fan + good board and imc so i dont suggest ram ocing if you are unwilling and easy to drive insane (high ram oc will def drive you insane, nearly went insane myself trying to get 1520 7-9-6-9 ddr2)