UPS power rating

sm139

I have a seasonic S12ii PSU,a 280x and an 8320 fx.What will happen if i connect an UPS rated for 380w.I'm not asking wether i will be able to game while there is a power cut,i wanted to know if the UPS when connected to the mains while there is power can supply more than 380w or does it do somthing facy and can only provide 380w even when there is mains power.This might be a dumb quetion but i couldnt find an answer anywhere else.

UPSs are meant to give you just enough time to turn off your PC when power goes off, not to keep it continuously running.

The runtime depends on how much power your computer uses. If you have a PC that is using 380W, you can expect about 5 to 10 minutes from the UPS battery.

You should NOT be gaming during a power outage with a UPS. You need a generator for that.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

You should NOT be gaming during a power outage with a UPS. You need a generator for that.

I dont want to game while a power outage,i want to know i the UPS can supply more than 380w while there IS power.

“If you overload a transformer, it emits more noise, it gets a little hotter, but it doesn’t break, it doesn’t shut
itself down, at least not right away. If you overload a UPS, especially one with a double conversion design,
it shuts down. It may stay on utility bypass until someone notices and corrects the problem. In the
meantime, critical computing systems have no protection, no battery backup. UPS systems are very
unforgiving of overload.”

What it is saying is that it may automatically put it into a utlity bypass mode (runs off the wall outlet bypassing the battery) and never provide battery protection, you wouldn't notice until the power went out or unless it has an alarm to indicate this situation.

Source: http://www.ptsdcs.com/whitepapers/12.pdf "Consequences of overload conditions"

even if you where going to do some gaming on a generator I would use a UPS with PFC, Many generators put out low quality power, and that can cause damage to some electronics.

System CPU : Ryzen 9 5950 doing whatever PBO lets it. Motherboard : Asus B550 Wifi II RAM 80GB 3600 CL 18 2x 32GB 2x 8GB GPUs Vega 56 & Tesla M40 Corsair 4000D Storage: many and varied small (512GB-1TB) SSD + 5TB WD Green PSU 1000W EVGA GOLD

You can trust me, I'm from the Internet.

even if you where going to do some gaming on a generator I would use a UPS with PFC, Many generators put out low quality power, and that can cause damage to some electronics.

well a good quality PSU like an AX from corsair cleans the power really nicely, but yes a UPS between the generator and PC would be a good decision

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020