Should I buy a crappy gpu while waiting for nvidia 40 series?

Natsukashii

So I made a whole new build in 2022 in preparation of 40 series card, got a i9 12900k that I play game on using its iGPU
But some people told me I was stressing too much my cpu by using so much of the iGPU
Is that true?
Also I got a second screen and I cannot plug it on my MB since there's only one display port out

So I was thinking of getting a 50$ gt710 or some crappy stuff just to plug my second screen or getting a 1050 so that I stop using my iGPU while waiting for my 4080/4090

Just now, Natsukashii said:

So I made a whole new build in 2022 in preparation of 40 series card, got a i9 12900k that I play game on using its iGPU
But some people told me I was stressing too much my cpu by using so much of the iGPU
Is that true?
Also I got a second screen and I cannot plug it on my MB since there's only one display port out

So I was thinking of getting a 50$ gt710 or some crappy stuff just to plug my second screen or getting a 1050 so that I stop using my iGPU while waiting for my 4080/4090

That is an absolute waste of your money.

If you seriously want to wait for the 40 series, then get a used 2060 or 2070, at least you'll be able to game for the next few months until the 40 series comes out. Better yet, get a 3060 or 3070 and keep it after you upgrade; If you get a bad 4080, at least you'll have something to use while you wait 3 years for the RMA process.

Or you could just get a 6950XT and forget the 4080/4090 entirely.

"Don't fall down the hole!" ~James, 2022

"If you have a monitor, look at that monitor with your eyeballs." ~ Jake, 2022

Just now, Sarra said:

If you seriously want to wait for the 40 series, then get a used 2060 or 2070

was thinking of doing that too but it really depends on when the 4090 gets out as I wanted it for august but well... now if its out in the next 2 month I can wait but if it's like by march 2023 then I really need something

Also for the "stressing too much my CPU by using its iGPU" part, is that a real issue or no biggie, like nothing reach past 60° anyway

1 minute ago, Natsukashii said:

was thinking of doing that too but it really depends on when the 4090 gets out as I wanted it for august but well... now if its out in the next 2 month I can wait but if it's like by march 2023 then I really need something

Also for the "stressing too much my CPU by using its iGPU" part, is that a real issue or no biggie, like nothing reach past 60° anyway

That is a non issue.

Desktop: Intel i7-13700K / Asus ROG Strix  z690-e / Nvidia 4080 FE / 32GB DDR5 Corsair Dominator / 2TB  WD SN850x  / 48" Lg C2 & 27" Asus ProArt

Plex Server: Dell OptiPlex 7010 /  i7-13700 /  32GB DDR5 / 1TB Samsung  990 Pro / Ubuntu

Laptop: M2 Macbook Air / 8G ram / 8core CPU / 10core GPU / 512GB SSD

NAS: Synology 1821+ , 2x Synology RS819 = 200TB 

1 minute ago, Natsukashii said:

As far as I know, there is no launch date for the 40 series cards yet. They could be launched this year, or possibly even December 2023. Who knows?

2 minutes ago, Natsukashii said:

The 12900k runs really hot. The iGPU is relatively low power compared. It's like saying that a blast furnace is okay, but if you put a candle in it, it'll get too hot. Basically nonsense.

ok thanks guess I'll go rip out my 2070 from my previous tower and get something cheap in it so that I can sell it

17 minutes ago, Sarra said:

As far as I know, there is no launch date for the 40 series cards yet. They could be launched this year, or possibly even December 2023. Who knows?

4090 this year all others next year

14 minutes ago, Natsukashii said:

ok thanks guess I'll go rip out my 2070 from my previous tower and get something cheap in it so that I can sell it

Get like a cheap used rx470/480/570/580 too crap of card will tank your systems price compared to not even having a gpu.

2 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Get like a cheap used rx470/480/570/580 too crap of card will tank your systems price compared to not even having a gpu.

yeah goo point! my country is pretty nvidia focused so I'll get a 180/2060 and it should be fine I hope

the only way in which using the iGPU may be "stressing" your cpu, is that it takes away power and thermal budget that could theoretically go to the CPU side... but i havent seen that make any noticeable difference anywhere outside a 12 watt pentium silver or lower.

4 hours ago, jaslion said:

4090 this year all others next year

Based on? The JayzTwoCents video made it look like next year for 4090.