CPU fan stops after 1 second, but pc proceeds to boot.

Zajgu

Hello! I am currently having an issue with this MSI Nightblade MI2C that I got from a friend. On boot the message "CPU Fan Error, Please Check !" appears. I've done a bit of detective work and found the fan to be spinning when I initially start the PC, but it falls right down to 0RPM really quickly. Through the bios I do not seem to have any control. The motherboard is the MS-B090. Does anyone know what else I could do to troubleshoot? Is it mechanical failure? I'd like to keep this pc going for a while longer and am not shy of changing the fan, I could probably jerry rig something together if I don't find anything exact 🙂!

Thanks in advance! I hope to hear from someone as this is causing quite high temperature (booting on 40, flies straight up to 70 on idle after 10 min).

have you checked the actual connection on the fan to the motherboard?

Have you tried connecting a different fan (if available) to the same header and see if that fan behaves the same?

I would try to use a known good fan and see if the behavior is any different. if the known good fan works. try connecting the cpu fan to a different header (preferably a known good header) and see if the fan still shuts off.

If your question is answered, mark it so.  | It's probably just coil whine, and it is probably just fine |   LTT Movie Club!

Read the docs. If they don't exist, write them. | Professional Thread Derailer

Desktop: i7-8700K, RTX 2080, 16G 3200Mhz, EndeavourOS(host), win10 (VFIO), Fedora(VFIO)

Server: ryzen 9 5900x, GTX 970, 64G 3200Mhz, Unraid.

11 hours ago, Takumidesh said:

have you checked the actual connection on the fan to the motherboard?

Have you tried connecting a different fan (if available) to the same header and see if that fan behaves the same?

I would try to use a known good fan and see if the behavior is any different. if the known good fan works. try connecting the cpu fan to a different header (preferably a known good header) and see if the fan still shuts off.

Oh, I forgot to mention that I had already tried that. There does not seem to be any other fan headers, I unfortunately only have 1 fan accessible right now and would rather not buy another one just to find out the issue lies elsewhere. What else would you suggest ?

Do you know if the fan ever worked? you said you got the computer from a friend, did they have the same issue?

Assuming you don't want to get a fan ( they can be had for as low as $5 on amazon with prime shipping)

I would check the fan connector and header with a multimeter. Make sure the correct voltage is being delivered to the fan.

if the fan is just a dc fan, you can put power on it with a 12v power supply to test it.

If all the connections are solid and voltage is being delivered properly, I would look at updating the bios.

In all likelihood, the fan may just be broken or dead. They don't last forever, and the fastest and easiest way to rule that out would be to replace it.

I don't know exactly which model you have, but assuming its the one i googled, it has a chipset from 2015, meaning that fan could potentially be 7 years old.

I wasn't able to pull up the spec sheet, but the promo page for the computer speaks of a proprietary "Exclusive Silent Storm Cooling" does that line up with what you have?

If your question is answered, mark it so.  | It's probably just coil whine, and it is probably just fine |   LTT Movie Club!

Read the docs. If they don't exist, write them. | Professional Thread Derailer

Desktop: i7-8700K, RTX 2080, 16G 3200Mhz, EndeavourOS(host), win10 (VFIO), Fedora(VFIO)

Server: ryzen 9 5900x, GTX 970, 64G 3200Mhz, Unraid.

I've asked and was told that it initially worked (based on the fact there was no warning in the beginning). I see, so is it normal for a fan to behave in such a manner when mechanical failure is at fault? i.e. turns on for a moment and then stops completely. Where would you suggest getting a fan from (I live in France)? I dont mind taping it on or something if I cannot find a match but the thickness would have to be the same because of the way the system is setup. As for this propretary "Exclusive Silent Storm Cooling" I really don't know, there really doesn't seem to be much information on this PC online and I can not find the same model anywhere.

5 hours ago, Zajgu said:

I've asked and was told that it initially worked (based on the fact there was no warning in the beginning). I see, so is it normal for a fan to behave in such a manner when mechanical failure is at fault? i.e. turns on for a moment and then stops completely. Where would you suggest getting a fan from (I live in France)? I dont mind taping it on or something if I cannot find a match but the thickness would have to be the same because of the way the system is setup. As for this propretary "Exclusive Silent Storm Cooling" I really don't know, there really doesn't seem to be much information on this PC online and I can not find the same model anywhere.

What type header is it connected to?
AIO, Sys fan, etc on the board?
Some headers have different onboard fan profiles, those depend on the header, that behavior you  mentioned in the header of this thread might refer to.
(And if you want to get something pretty decent for the price, I would personally go with artic F12 PWM, those really are the only fans I now buy, living in Finland price is about 10e for 120mm)

5 hours ago, Zajgu said:

Exclusive Silent Storm Cooling" I really don't know, there really doesn't seem to be much information on this PC online and I can not find the same model anywhere.

Hmm, can you confirm this page for me? I found this with a simple google search...
https://www.msi.com/Desktop/Nightblade-MI2C/Specification
And the manual for that would be then availlable on the following place
https://www.msi.com/Desktop/Nightblade-MI2C/support#manual
The solution looks like an inverted ATX solution, I was not able to indetify the board based on the included pictures.
image.png.29df4a9fb802ccd046b2f0c9d8ba0ea3.png
image.thumb.png.7e4c0ca969fc4de334061b593bd191b5.png