External drives are constantly being accessed

chocolatekarma

So I've only really been a Windows user for about three years after around 30 on Mac only, and I notice that my external drives are always showing activity. Both a 3.5" HDD and 2.5" HDD are doing this. Yet the activity doesn't even register in Task Manager or CPUID HWMonitor, which implies it's some type of meta data scan. I can only see the activity via the activity lights on the drives themselves. The 3.5" is in a HD dock, and the 2.5" is in an enclosure.  There is no type of bloatware and no third-party anti-virus software on the system at all.  It's just a clean windows install with browsers and game launchers.

Are they constantly indexing? Though you also cannot turn off indexing on externals, or at least not via drive properties.

Anyway, it seems like Windows is trying to wear out my drives, like they owe it money or something.

System: i5 12400F - 32GB DDR4 3200 - RTX 3060 - Windows 10 Pro - Fractal Define 7 Compact

It's probably windows defender.  That'll always strike up a scan when the comp is idling or you're watching youtube or something

With all the Trolls, Try Hards, Noobs and Weirdos around here you'd think i'd find SOMEWHERE to fit in!