Pozidriv bits for LTT Screwdriver

Go to solution Solved by LinusTech,

If recommend a belt sander vs cutting them, but yeah this was an oversight. We will get it sorted. 

28 minutes ago, Leseratte10 said:

Oh boy, I didn't really want to start a discussion about if the screwdriver is proprietary or not. It supports standard bits just fine, with the added bonus of being able to store 12 if you buy them from LTT. I've watched the "making of" videos and understand why they did it that way, I'm not saying that that's crap or that they should have done it differently. I was just asking if there's an update regarding Pozidriv bits ...

What terms are you searching for? I tried "20mm bits", "1/4 20mm bits", "short bits", "ultra low profile bits", but I can't find anything on Amazon, Ebay or AliExpress. Do these short bits have a technical name/term that I don't know?

I don't really want to pay $17 + $10 shipping for a useless wrench just to get a couple bits (from the Amazon screenshot you posted)

Everything I can find is the usual 25mm length (or doesn't mention length at all but the picture makes it clear), or these ultra-long bits for hard-to-reach places, and I've spent more than 20 minutes hunting through sites like AliExpress.

The terminology I used is "short 20 mm screwdriver bits", both on Google and Amazon. And then, the links came up. Probably, if you do more digging, you can come up with even more results. I can't speak of their quality, though. That ratcheting screwdriver I found and ordered has an option to include 20 mm short bits, 20 pieces. For me, that is quite convenient. That's why I ordered it. I had to check it's description though. Anyway, it was not expensive for me and given that is pretty favourably reviewed, I decided to order it. 

Just some examples from what I've found: 

Capture.JPG

Capture1.JPG

Capture2.JPG

Capture3.JPG

Thanks for the examples. Looks like this is more difficult than I expected. 

The first, second and fourth article you posted all don't have Pozidriv bits, just Philips / Slot / Torx / whatever.

The third one you posted claims to be 20mm in the title, but the article photo clearly shows 25mm bits, and the description also states "total length: 25mm" so I doubt these are actually going to be 20mm bits.

I guess I'll need to hunt through onlineshops some more or try to visit a local hardware store and see if they have an idea. Or just keep an extra set of standard-length bits near the screwdriver. Or see if I can find someone with a belt sander or something to make my own.

11 minutes ago, Leseratte10 said:

Thanks for the examples. Looks like this is more difficult than I expected. 

The first, second and fourth article you posted all don't have Pozidriv bits, just Philips / Slot / Torx / whatever.

The third one you posted claims to be 20mm in the title, but the article photo clearly shows 25mm bits, and the description also states "total length: 25mm" so I doubt these are actually going to be 20mm bits.

I guess I'll need to hunt through onlineshops some more or try to visit a local hardware store and see if they have an idea. Or just keep an extra set of standard-length bits near the screwdriver. Or see if I can find someone with a belt sander or something to make my own.

You are welcome ! As I said, for the time being I settled on that ratcheting screwdriver for the included 20 mm, 20 bits which also include the Pozidriv bits that I most commonly use. Ultimately, I'll most probably buy a higher quality bit set or individual bits, depending what I need, made from a stronger more durable metal and cut them to size on the band saw or bring them to size on my disk sander, depending on how strong the metal is, since I don't own a belt sander, yet. But, that is a thing of the future. 

• 1 month later...

Can someone please help me find 20mm PZ-bits anyware? 🙏🏻

I've spent more than an hour trying to find any 20mm-bits here in norther europe. PZ is without a doubt the most common bit used for so so many things here, in racks and electronics included.

[PZ] -> [TX] -> [PH] -> [Flat] is the order of importance of my bits and I think many europeans would agree, depending on use case ofc.

That LTT does not have a bit set that includes it is so surprising with all the other odd bits that you cen get in the sets. Any hope of gettng them from lttstore anytime soon?

Edit: I managed to find this on Amazon after a tip from a reddit thread, will end up costing me almost half of the LTT screwdriver, but I really want the bit so it will have to do. Hopefully it can save some one else the search hassle at least.

image.thumb.png.6c9679e96fa38fa3cb09dbd2c845a68f.png

I think it's a bigg miss that PZ bits is not available direcly from LTT, if it is aimed also for the european market and not just the US I'd even expect it to be included in the standard bit set that is included with the screwdriver TBH.

Seems like a good business opportunity for anyone with an angle grinder.

Buy 25mm PZ bits in bulk for basically nowt, cut 5mm off the end and whack them on ebay for a ridiculous amount!

Laptop:

Spoiler

HP OMEN 15 - Intel Core i7 9750H, 16GB DDR4, 512GB NVMe SSD, Nvidia RTX 2060, 15.6" 1080p 144Hz IPS display

PC:

Spoiler

Vacancy - Looking for applicants, please send CV

Mac:

Spoiler

2009 Mac Pro 8 Core - 2 x Xeon E5520, 16GB DDR3 1333 ECC, 120GB SATA SSD, AMD Radeon 7850. Soon to be upgraded to 2 x 6 Core Xeons

Phones:

Spoiler

LG G6 - Platinum (The best colour of any phone, period)

LG G7 - Moroccan Blue

• 1 month later...

PSA for those, like me, who intend to purchase the MulWark mini ratchet for its 20mm Pozidriv bits: the bits included with it are rather smooth and slippery. This is not an issue when being used with the included ratchet wrench. But, the LTT screwdriver's strong magnet makes the MulWark bits difficult to remove from the shaft with bare hands. In some cases, I needed to use a rubber jar opener to get them out. As a result, I don't find them to be practical for use in the LTT screwdriver.

4 hours ago, MehStrongBadMeh said:

PSA for those, like me, who intend to purchase the MulWark mini ratchet for its 20mm Pozidriv bits: the bits included with it are rather smooth and slippery. This is not an issue when being used with the included ratchet wrench. But, the LTT screwdriver's strong magnet makes the MulWark bits difficult to remove from the shaft with bare hands. In some cases, I needed to use a rubber jar opener to get them out. As a result, I don't find them to be practical for use in the LTT screwdriver.

I entirely confirm this aspect. However, since I use Pozidriv bits on a regular basis, I've gotten used to it. A napkin, a shop towel, or a rag, which I always have on hand, do the trick when removing a bit. The PZ2 bit is not that bad, when removing it. The PZ1 bit, which is smaller, requires more force to extract it and since it is smaller, it is harder to get a good grip. However, as I said, while using one of the aforementioned things to remove it, even if my hands are slippery as well, there is no problem in doing so. 

I ultimately opted to have my friend with a machine shop grind down some regular Pozdriv bits to the correct size. Kinda wished I had asked them to do some Torx also, as the Torx bits have been out of stock for a while.

• 2 months later...

I am from Germany and like many before me already said, Robertson bits are absolutely useless around here. I learned that they exist a couple of years ago on Youtube and i don`t think i have ever seen a real Robertson screw in my life.

But PZ screws are extremely common around here. In my line of work it`s more like PH-TX-PZ-Hex and on really old stuff sometimes slot.

Please give us PZ bits!

• 1 month later...

It's 11 months since we got an answer about these pozidriv bits. Have anybody heard anything more about when we can expect these?
I am unsure if I should buy the stubby as soon as it is released, or wait until the pozidriv bits are available as well.

Pozidriv bits would be a huge plus. I have no idea where to buy non-bulk Pozidriv bit sets here in Canada other than Ikea kits with a bunch of other junk I dont need - it's really annoying. Picquic - a Canadian company - has a set advertised on their website yet they dont actually seem to sell them anywhere in Canada that I've ever found.

• 1 month later...
On 8/31/2022 at 1:40 PM, LinusTech said:

If recommend a belt sander vs cutting them, but yeah this was an oversight. We will get it sorted. 

@LinusTech Any updates on PZ (pozidriv) bits?

• 2 months later...

Why is this marked as solved? I still have not seen pozi bits for sale. Only a bunch of new color ways. 

• 2 months later...

No news on PZ bits ? Will they ever be a thing ? PZ screws are by far the most common in Europe 😕

I have to carry a set of oversized bits as I need Pozidriv bits all the time. It would be such a blessing to get some proper LTT Pozidriv bits in the handle to save space, but I am starting to lose hope now.

I REALLY hope they keep their promise soon.