Was told to purchase HOSTING for a domain I bought so that instead of @gmail.com we can have Robert@MyBiz.com - What is affordable/reliable?

So, I was unaware of this. 

But after buying a DOMAIN name from GoDaddy (hope that's good), 

I was then told that this isn't enough, and I also need HOSTING (no idea why). 

Not for actual website (!), but just so we can have our own email address (instead of @gmail.com). 

What's affordable and good? 

Advice is appreciated! 

Thx so much! 

5 minutes ago, idh1oi12jkl31jk2bgve3jk12b said:

and I also need HOSTING (no idea why). 

Did you think email services just magically appear out of thin air?

3 minutes ago, Bad5ector said:

Did you think email services just magically appear out of thin air?

haha, honestly not that technical, so no idea what that even means 🙂 but thanks

11 minutes ago, idh1oi12jkl31jk2bgve3jk12b said:

So, I was unaware of this. 

But after buying a DOMAIN name from GoDaddy (hope that's good), 

I was then told that this isn't enough, and I also need HOSTING (no idea why). 

Not for actual website (!), but just so we can have our own email address (instead of @gmail.com). 

What's affordable and good? 

Advice is appreciated! 

Thx so much! 

Since you're not technical, you should've opted for a google domain and used google workspace in order to have a gmail account, but with your own domain.

Using other email providers or hosting your own don't provide a good experience in my opinion.

FX6300 @ 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 R2 | Hyper 212x | 3x 8GB + 1x 4GB @ 1600MHz | Gigabyte 2060 Super | Corsair CX650M | LG 43UK6520PSA
ASUS X550LN | i5 4210u | 12GB
Lenovo N23 Yoga

2 minutes ago, igormp said:

Since you're not technical, you should've opted for a google domain and used google workspace in order to have a gmail account, but with your own domain.

Using other email providers or hosting your own don't provide a good experience in my opinion.

thank you. YES, that's exactly what i did! 

Do you have multiple email addresses you'll want on the domain or just one?

You have a couple options:

1) port the domain (easiest) or redirect the domain to microsoft and setup microsoft email. I use it personally and it's like $5/email/month

2) port the domain or redirect to cloudflare, the difference here is their email is in "beta" but it basically forwards any email to that address to another email address, not as clean but an option that's free.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

1 minute ago, Lurick said:

Do you have multiple email addresses you'll want on the domain or just one?

You have a couple options:

1) port the domain (easiest) or redirect the domain to microsoft and setup microsoft email. I use it personally and it's like $5/email/month

2) port the domain or redirect to cloudflare, the difference here is their email is in "beta" but it basically forwards any email to that address to another email address, not as clean but an option that's free.

we have 5 users - each needs their own email address. 

i appreciate the answer but that's a bit above my pay grade 🙂

just wanted to know WHERE (with who) you guys would recommend I should open a HOSTING plan (sucks that it costs more money though - I did not know this. 

PS - it's a tiny biz, trying to keep it froogle 

I use infomaniak.com, I believe email-only hosting is a couple of bucks a month

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

I'm about 70% sure you can buy your domain from something like namecheap, forego paying for  hosting, and supply either gmail or microsoft or whatever email provider your domain name and use their email hosting.

9 minutes ago, OhYou_ said:

I'm about 70% sure you can buy your domain from something like namecheap, forego paying for  hosting, and supply either gmail or microsoft or whatever email provider your domain name and use their email hosting.

I thought exactly this, but someone told me you must also purchase a HOSTING plan. 

But maybe he's wrong. 

Maybe someone here can give us the answer 🙂

Thx

3 minutes ago, idh1oi12jkl31jk2bgve3jk12b said:

I thought exactly this, but someone told me you must also purchase a HOSTING plan. 

But maybe he's wrong. 

Maybe someone here can give us the answer 🙂

Thx

meh, youd have to pay for gsuite or o365 now that I look at it. 

Really depends, if money is no object here and you just want simplicity, then all you gotta do is buy the domain name you want ("whatever.com") and then sign up for email hosting through I'd recommend Microsoft office365 but you can use google or any other one. the bigger the name the easier it will be to find a guide to set it all up. 

If $48/year per user + probably $15 for the .com is too much then there are other options but they involve a bit more technical effort.

So just to update the thread, 

I found out the answer. 

You don't need a HOSTING PLAN if you are just using biz email account. 

Google has it's own UI ("Google Domains") which can do this for you - free of charge (it's part of Google Workspace). 

No external hosting plan needed. 

Thx all! 

Another option is to utilize CloudFlare for DNS hosting and use their mail catchall feature to just forward the emails to your existing personal email.

Simple, and free.